5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 10:04 AM by Mr Seaniepie

C4D object/layer interaction

Mr Seaniepie Level 1

Hi all,

the main limitation that gets to me for every comp I have to do recently is the lack of interaction between C4D layers and their AE counterpart layers. I can manipulate the camera around the c4d scene but the depth between the layers is never maintained and there is NO casting of shadows from AE layers onto C4D or vice versa.

As an example if you have a simple cube in C4D and a simple Solid colour AE layer in front of it but then rotate the camera on a pivot around the cube, the AE layer will remain on top although further from the camera. So I end up having to keep slicing the AE layer and putting above and below the C4D layer when needed. This becomes a big, big pain when the director decides he wants to adjust the timing - which happens a lot!!

This makes AE more and more unusable for the types of motion graphics I am being asked to do and I end up favouring software like HitFilm which is a heck of a lot cheaper than AE! This is kind of rediculous as situations go. Back in CS5.5 when they allowed us for a short time to use photoshop live3d (before they took it from us with no explination!) we could work with it far better than we can now. Hopefully soon we will have full interaction - unless, of course, Adobe in their infinite wisdom decide to drop CS4 support as well - because they grow tired of supporting it like Live3d layers.

All the best

• 1. Re: C4D object/layer interaction
          Mr Seaniepie Level 1

The other downside to using C4D over Live3d is that if you only want a single object to fly around a scene, for example, there is no way to place that individual object in 3d space without coninuously roundtripping to C4D. with a live3d layer you could position an object using the layer properties itself - rotation, position and scale all worked as you would expect. Elements3D doesnt allow for this either. - By contrast, HitFilm, Nuke and Fusion all do this. AE was ahead in 5.5 and has fallen back into the late 90's/early 2000's in CS6 and CC.

Bring back Live3d layers and work on that.

• 2. Re: C4D object/layer interaction
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mr Seaniepie wrote:

Back in CS5.5 when they allowed us for a short time to use photoshop live3d (before they took it from us with no explination!)

They gave an explanation when they took it away. They've talked about it a lot. It was a clunky, buggy setup. You are the first person I've heard who liked that feature.

As far as compositing AE layers with C4D content, you should use a depth map as a track matte for your layer. Then you would only need one copy of your layer! This should explain how to get the depth map, but instead of using it for blur, you can apply levels and crush it to get a useful track matte.

• 3. Re: C4D object/layer interaction
              Mr Seaniepie Level 1

They've talked about it a lot. It was a clunky, buggy setup. You are the first person I've heard who liked that feature.

I can't find any references from them. I also don't count you as an accurate measure of it's likability wether or not you specifically heard about it. Not being rude. I mean that, just because you havent heard doesn't mean that no-one actually liked or used the feature. I did and would still. Especially from Vanishing point.

The fact is that, for small things like a single 3d object created in Photoshop like a textured sphere, Live3d was exceptionally useful.

Your guide provided also does not help with shadow interaction. The depth map thing does help with saving me time slicing clips but then doubles the rendertime for every test render and final render needed. And as I said, this is all stuff they had managed in the past and that others have implemented really successfully. Its just AE lagging behind.

• 4. Re: C4D object/layer interaction
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless someone else has any further suggestions for you, I would recommend that you file a feature request. Remember to be very specific about what functionality Photoshop Live 3d had that you miss.

• 5. Re: C4D object/layer interaction
                  Mr Seaniepie Level 1

Hi,

I have. My purpose of posting here was to draw the shortfall of AE to the communities attension and provide a bit of insight as to why they are necessary. I know noone will have any workarounds for these issues as there are none. If there were 'I' would have been the one to have found it some time ago.