6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 7:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Question

shepcamera

I have Elements 8 and am unable to open video files I have taken with my Canon stills camera, I get a message that the correct Codec is not installed. What is it and how do I get it?

• 1. Re: Question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the full details of the Video files from your Canon, especially the format, and the CODEC used?

That will point us to recommendations on how to proceed. It might be as simple as making sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime Player installed, or might require adding a CODEC, if it's say MJPEG. If you need help in determining the CODEC used, either free utilities, G-Spot, or MediaInfo can get that information for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Question
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If the CODEC turns out to be MJPEG (common with Canon point-n-shoots, that also do video), then this Tips & Tricks article will give you more background: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4079377#4079377

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Question
              shepcamera Level 1

Hi Bill

Thanks I’ll give it a try, although I’m not that ofay with the technicalities of computer programs.

Regards

shepcamera

• 4. Re: Question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Shepcamera,

With either G-Spot, or MediaInfo, one would just launch the program, and Open one of the Video files in it. With MediaInfo, the Tree View will give the details needed. In G-Spot, that info will be on the program's screen.

It might be easier to do a screen-cap, of say the G-Spot screen, to display all of the info for people here, to see. If you need any tips on doing and attaching a screen-cap JPEG, or PNG, this article will give you tips: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3973293#3973293

Good luck, and please let us know more about the Video Clips,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Question
                  shepcamera Level 1

HI, Bill

After following your link to the forum on MJPEG’s and reading through I tried re-installing the software for my Canon G12 and am pleased to say that I can now import videos into Elements. Problem solved.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

shepcamera

• 6. Re: Question
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Shepcamera,

Great news, and thank you for reporting your success.

Unfortunately, MJPEG can be an issue, as each camera mfgr. wants to tweak that older CODEC, for maxium results on their cameras. Once, the generic Morgan, or MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's did a great job, but as more tweaks are applied, things get more complicated. I have several different MJPEG CODEC's installed - Morgan, MainConcept, Apple, Canon, Panasonic and Nikon (I have one each of the last three cameras), and all work fine. In the cases of those last three, they are different enough, that I needed to install the software for each camera, to get everything working.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt