2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 3:59 AM by amitjha-lt

OK, need help on multilevel lists after all...

kdeuler

Experts-

I thought I found a solution to numbering sets in a topic, where the top-level step is numbering  1 after a heading. The test:

1. Create a paragraph style for top-level steps (as in a procedural step). I called the style level_2 (sic). It's based on Normal, with a little indenting.
      2. Create a paragraph style for 2nd-level (sub) step. I called the style level_3 (sic). It's based on Normal, with a little indenting.
      3. Created a multilevel list style, called MLL_style_1
      4. Associate level 2 of the multilevel list style with paragraph style level_2.
      5. Associate level 3 of the multilevel list style with paragraph style level_3.
      6. Associate level 1 of the multilevel list style with Heading 1.

The sole purpose of #6 above is to force the restart of the numbering of the Level_2 styles. This seems to work:

multilevel_list_test.png

HOWEVER, I've noticed a problem and a curiosity:

• Problem: I don't want any numbering to appear in front of Header 1 text. I can't find a way to make the numbering property of level 1 of the MLL_style_1 be nothing or null. When I delete all text in the Edit Style space, it reverts to a default <x>:

edit_style_field.png

So, do you have any thoughts on how to remove the numbering from the header, OR  how to otherwise force the numbering of the first step to be 1.

• Curiosity: The first Header 1 item in the first image above is the first occurrence of that paragraph style in the topic. However,  it's autonumbered as 2. This seems to be caused by the presence before the header of paragraph styles that are associated with the lower multilevel list levels.

Any thoughts on why the first Header 1 should start at 2?

Much obliged in advance.