5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 8:56 AM by A.T. Romano

PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M

ImagesByCW

Yesterday I downloaded the trial version of PRE 12, installed it, but it won't run. On startup I get the error message: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver. So, I had a look, but both windows and AMD/Samsung say that I have got the latest driver. Re-booted - still no luck. Searched a bit more and somebody suggested to deinstall the AMD Catalyst Manager and re-install. Which I did also, but with no success. Then I deinstalled the driver and/or disabled the card (sorry, I tried so many things to get it to work...), it defaulted back to a generic windows VGA driver. Funnily enough with that one PRE started. I still got the message, but it started. But obviously everything looked ugly and huge. Therefore I reinstalled the latest driver via the Samsung website (since it is a laptop, the drivers are not provided by AMD) and... again, same message, same bad luck = PRE will not start after clicking the message o.k.

Oh, and I did click 'run as admin' and QuickTime is also up to date.

These are the system details:

Samsung Laptop NP700Z5A-S09US series

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Radeon HD6750M

8 GB RAM

Any ideas how to get it to work so I can try it? Thanks a lot!

Claudia

• 1. Re: PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Claudia

Please try the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

In your Windows 7 64 bit computer, the path to it is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. The Premiere Elements Folder contains folders besides the BadDrivers.txt file. You do not want anything in those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder, you just want the BadDrivers.txt file in that Premiere Elements Folder.

Once you close out of there and reopen Premiere Elements project, the program generates a new BadDrivers.txt file, and hopefully the display issue is gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited above.

The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file can be traced back to post 10 in the following older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

Please let us know if the above had any impact on your display card messages.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M
            ImagesByCW Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, ATR. Deleted the file, but unfortunately it it did not change anything.

Any other suggestions?

Claudia

• 3. Re: PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M
              ImagesByCW Level 1

o.k. I found the solution in this thread here http://forums.adobe.com/message/5883757

Basically the program did not detect the AMD, but used the generic, built-in intel GPU instead. In the AMD Catalyst Control Center you can tell the program which gpu to use.

p.s. wasn't even aware that my laptop runs two...

• 4. Re: PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Claudia,

Several laptop mfgrs. use a dual GPU arrangement, with an embedded Intel chip used to save power, and then an nVidia, or AMD/ATI chip for more intensive computing. Under normal circumstances, the computer will switch between the two, but that is not always the case.

While PrE does not really tax a GPU, like some other programs, it DOES interface critically with the video driver for the GPU. The video driver can be rendered obsolete by such simple things, as an OS update. Most general programs do not need that interfacing with the video driver, and so long as there is a video signal, will function. However, programs like PrE, most extreme games, 3D applications, and CAD programs are different - they need a fully functioning video driver, just to run.

Some users have found that if they disable the Intel GPU (often via the BIOS, or perhaps a jumper/DIP switch on the MoBo), and update the nVidia, or AMD/ATI driver (removing the BadDrivers.TXT file), things work perfectly. Others, whose computers DO switch between the dual GPU's, only require the lastest video drivers for both the Intel and the nVidia, or AMD/ATI chips (with removal of the BadDrivers.TXT file).

I think that it would be better, if the computer mfgrs. had a software toggle switch, that would allow a user to simply turn OFF the power-saving aspect of the Intel chip, when using programs, such as PrE - one would still need to keep that chip's video driver updated, but it would make things easier on people, who wish to edit video, play extreme games, or do any advanced 3D work.

Glad that you found the fix, and that all is working for you.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PRE won't start / incompatible display driver - AMD HD 6750M
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ImagesByCW

Great job in resolving your issue by identifying your systems video cards/graphic cards.

Great job by you and John T. Smith who offered that input in the thread that your referenced

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5883757#5883757

Continued progress.

ATR