7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2016 7:26 AM by markk64500085

audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported

michaelmariaschk

Since I installled Premiere Elements 12 on a new computer, I get an Error Message when I try to import m4a music from I-tunes. The programme worked fine on my old computer. Is there any kind of setting that I don't know of.

• 1. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
          A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelmariaschk

Please convert your i-Tunes music in iTunes to .wav.

Some possibilities

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

http://www.ehow.com/how_6619679_convert-m4a-wav-using-itunes.html

Please check out the above and then let us know if any of that worked for you.

I have iTune v. 11.1.3.8. With the song imported into iTunes

a. Edit Menu/Preferences/General Tab/ and go to "Import Settings Tab" in the General Tab section and click on it.

b. Then in the Import Settings dialog, set Import Using to WAV Encoder. Click OK.

c. Then right click your song in iTunes and select Create WAV Version.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
            michaelmariaschk Level 1

I switched all m4a files into mp3 and it worked just as fine. Thank you for telling me how to do it.

• 3. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
              A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelmariaschk

Thanks for that follow up. Glad the suggestion worked for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or clarification needed on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
                retchemteach

I tried your file conversion hint (to convert to a wav file), and I was able to import a few audio files that before were not do-able.....however, I still have a problem.  First, I have a new Lenovo computer with Win7 Pro, and I just purchased Prem El. 12.  I have made many movies over the years using PE4 without a single audio import problem.  Now, this nightmare.  As an example, I purchased some years ago from iTunes, "On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson.  I had it on my other (older XP) computer and used it several times for our vacation movies.  It imported just fine.  Now, after copying all our songs into the Lenovo, I cannot import this song.  When I go to the proper hard drive location for the song (via PE 'adding media' menu), the song is not even listed.  But, if I go to the exact same location via "my computer", it is there.  [I go to the song in iTunes and look at its location in GET INFO; that tells me the path to find it.]  I did try to convert the song to a wave file, but I get a message that it cannot be converted b/c it is protected.....so why this problem NOW when I did not have it in the older version on my XP machine?  I hope this 'chat' works, b/c I am really distressed that Adobe won't even help over the phone any more.

• 5. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

You appear to have defined your own issue when you wrote "...I get a message that it cannot be converted because it is protected." That appears to be a matter beyond what was being worked on in this thread originally.

Depending on how long ago you purchased this song, for your old protected iTunes music

a. right click it and select Upgrade...last I read, iTunes charges 0.30 to Upgrade that type of protected music

b. also, from what I have read, if the song is no longer available for purchase, it cannot be Updated.

At that point, I would contact the iTune Store.

A Google Search on this old iTunes protected songs matter will bring up many articles on the subject. Protected material is protected material (purchased or not), and you can then decide for yourself which options are available to you without copyright issues.

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. And Adobe via its Chat Panel typically deals only with current version (now 13), purchased, registered. Premiere Elements does not deal with protected materials, be they music or other.

Please review and consider.

ATR

• 6. Re: audio m4a files from itunes cannot be imported
                    retchemteach Level 1

Thank you.  After reading MANY posts, I was able to burn the protected songs to a RW disc, and then when I "imported" the song into iTunes, it was imported as a WAV file (b/c of what you had suggested....or someone did....I read so much, it is a blur) and was not longer 'protected'  I had 3 different audio problems happening, and now all of them are fixed.  Now, I have another problem with images.  I have posted that question.