11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 2:19 AM by Eie

Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup

Eie

Hi,

I just reinstalled my whole OS (Win 8.1) and so also reinstalled Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 11.  I reinstalled because I added an additional Harddrive

When I try to run Premiere Elements I can see the welcome screen and select Organizer or Editor but then nothing happens....

I was able to run Photoshop without any problems and I installed both one after another. Plus, I was able to run the Organizer from PS and when I tried to open a video with Premiere Elements it said that to run the trial-version I would need to install the application manageer (I bought both programs, so it is not the trial...)

So I uninstalled PE and reinstalled, nothing changed. I also reinstalled the application manager, still nothing...

I also tried to run as a admin but didnt work.

Any Ideas ?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Eie

At this time are you still getting the trial version messages to buy?

If so, look at the message and a "license this product" place to click on? Do you find one?

If you do, the follow the instructions which are likely to include serial number, Adobe ID, and Password insertions.

I have Premiere Elements 11 installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit, and it is running well, so I know first hand that version 11 works in that computer operating system.

Please take a look at the following Adobe document that is referenced lately even though Premiere Elements is not specifically mentioned in the title

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html

By the way, how did you install the program, from purchased installation disc or purchased installation files from an online download (from Adobe?)?

Have you gone through the basic drill

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements

b. Running program Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges

c. Latest version of video card/graphics card driver according to the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card.

d. ccleaner run through, regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Any questions or clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
            Eie Level 1

Ok, lets go throug this:

At this time are you still getting the trial version messages to buy? No it says that I am about to start the trial version and the app manger is needed

I have Premiere Elements 11 installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit, and it is running well, so I know first hand that version 11 works in that computer operating system. I also had Win 8.1 installed before, so that shouldn be the problem, I know.

Please take a look at the following Adobe document that is referenced lately even though Premiere Elements is not specifically mentioned in the title

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-i ssues.html

By the way, how did you install the program, from purchased installation disc or purchased installation files from an online download (from Adobe?)? From disc

Have you gone through the basic drill

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements , Yes

b. Running program Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, Yes

c. Latest version of video card/graphics card driver according to the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card. Yes

d. ccleaner run through, regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts , Just did it, didnt help.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I even installed it with deactivated bitdefender but it also didnt help. And since Photoshop is working I assume that it should not be the problem.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eie

Thanks for the reply.

In the Sign In, ....Adobe document that I cited, did you check out the hosts file? If you have not, please verify that looks like the screenshot and that it has no entries below the last entry that you see in the screenshot. See path to hosts file above the hosts - Notepad document....

hostfile.JPG

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                Eie Level 1

Hi,

i checked it and also tried the testlinks on the webpage. Everything works and there is nothing in the host file.

Till Yesterday evening I also thought that the Adobe application manager is the keyissue but today I got a reminder that there are updates for PRE and PSE from that programm so it seems to be installed correctly.

I even reinstalled as trial version now and still the same...not working.

What I really dont understand why I can run the organizer from PSE but not from PRE...

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                  Eie Level 1

Ok,

I just found out that Adobe Acrobat 7 is also not running which was the case before...

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Eie

Thanks for the update. Please review the following to determine if you have been there and done them before:

a. Do you have McAfee as your antivirus program? If so, please determine if disabling it has any affect on your issue. An update of it appears to be causing some problems for Premiere Elements.

b. Have you looked at disabling Startup programs...before Windows 8.1, that was done Run/msconfig, but in Version 8.1, it looks like you have to go to Task Manager/Start Up to disable the High, Medium, or Low Impact Startup programs.

c. Have you tried to install and run Premiere Elements from a new User Account also with Administrative Privileges?

Let us see if any of the above works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                      Eie Level 1

Hi,

thanks for the efforts.

a) I dont have McAffe and I tried while disabling my other antivirus programm, even removing it.

b) I deaktivated everything beside those task which are definetely needed at the start, didnt work.

c) I tried to install from a new created account, also didnt work :/

The big question for me is: why is PSE working but PRE and Adobe Acrobat not..., what is the big difference ? 32/64 bit ?

When I search for AAM on windows home screen and want to run it from there the path cant be found... that was actually also the case yesterday when I started to research what kind of program is missing... but in the morning I got that message that there is an update available for PRE and PSE so it is installed correctly but maybe it is not found by PRE ? (why is it by PSE? )

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Eie

We are fast going down the list of troubleshooting. Time for some good and maybe not so good tries...

a. Uninstall Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

b. Uninstall Adobe Air

c. run the ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaning parts)

d. Reinstall Adobe Reader/Acrobat (I think that will also bring about the install of Adobe Air).

Then try Premiere Elements and Adobe Reader again.

What do you think? Worth a try?

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                          Eie Level 1

Ok,

I uninstalled ALL adobe products.

run the ccleaner and reinstalled PRE.

then it asked for AAM again and I installed it.

Didnt work :/ , BUT: this time I also launched AAM itself using the link on desktop and it updated itself to CreativeCloud.

When I login using my adobe ID it also tries to show the Home section but just keeps loading and loading, nothing ever happens.

Why did you refer to Adobe AIR ?

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Eie

Adobe AIR Mention....since you wrote

The big question for me is: why is PSE working but PRE and Adobe Acrobat not..., what is the big difference ? 32/64 bit ?

I was trying for a round about fix, maybe for Premiere Elements and Adobe Reader/Acrobat. Maybe thinking that the Adobe Acrobat problem was conflicting with the Premiere Elements setup.

Here goes that plot...

a. You said that you had problems with Premiere Elements as well as Adobe Acrobat.

b. I saw an online article that fixed "an Adobe Acrobat will not work" by what I suggested in post 8 of this thread. The hope was possibily to fix the Adobe Acrobat problem and have the Premiere Elements problem tag along. But, it did not seem to do that. So much for that idea.

Please remind me, have we

a. looked for conflicting components on your computer...other applications (no just Adobe), 3rd party plug-ins or codecs, and the like?

b. have you looked at an alternative source for the Premiere Elements installation files?

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops on Startup
                              Eie Level 1

Ok, sorry for the late reply but I was to frustrated to work on this problem for some time.

2 things,

I found out why Acrobat wasnt working anymore. It is a Windows-Upddate, to be more precise this one: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2917929

After uninstalling it Acrobat work just fine...

Secondly I managed to get a little closer to run PRE. I has sth to do with AAM. It has sth to do with the different drives I have. It installs itself to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE but my Common Files are at D: !

So I copied the folder from C to D and PRE started (at least when I used the *exe File in the PRE install folder) and showed the software license-agreement asked for a serial-number and wanted me to log in with my adobe id. All worked. but then, after accepting (and now after every single start) it shows the software license agreement again and again...