8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 7:11 AM by Winter Star

Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6

Winter Star

Downloaded Camera Raw 8.2 and ran the installer; it seemed to go fine. But, I don't think CS6 is recognizing it. Under Help/ Systems and Updates, it still lists ACR 7.4 as the raw converter. When I try to open a Canon 70D CR-2 file, which ACR 8.2 will cover, I get the msg: "Make sure you have the latest camera raw update in Help/ Updates".  8.2 is not being replaced in CS6. What's going on?

• 1. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Presumably you’ve restarted Photoshop so it can load the new plug-in versions.

If that’s not the problem, in PS, do Help / About Plug-in…  and see how many Camera Raw plug-ins are listed and what versions they are.  In a normal situation there is only one instance, but if there has been a manual install of ACR at some point in the past, and there are now multiple ACR plug-ins, even if the installer put the new one where it should go, it is possible for PS to find only the old one that was manually installed.

• 2. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6
            Winter Star Level 1

thanks

I checked the plug ins,and the only one listed is ACR7.4-If I knew how to manually install this one I would try that.

• 3. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6

Do you have a link to the webpage where you got the ACR 8.2 install from in case it is for something else? Have you installed the trials for any other Adobe software that manipulates photos, like Elements or Premier or PS-CC?

What operating system are you on and if Windows is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Can you search your hard-drive for a file called “Camera Raw.8bi” assuming you’re on Windows, and report which folders have it and the dates?

I may be able to tell you a manual install process but I’d like to know what is going on with the install that you already tried to understand why it’s not working, first.

• 4. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6

What does Help / Updates say exactly?

• 5. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6
                  Winter Star Level 1

my os is windows7 64bit.I got the link by clicking help plug in inCS6.there are 2 camera raw.8bi files:one is CS5 dated april2012 and one is CS6 dated march2013.    

• 6. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6
                    Winter Star Level 1

Help/Updates

Adobe Extension Manager CS6 Adobe photoshop CS6 Photoshop Camera Raw7

• 7. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6

Install what Help / Update offers.  "Camera Raw 7" is what ACR for CS6 is called even though it is up to 8.x, now.  This is to distinguish it from PS-CC's ACR updates which are designated as "Camera Raw 8".  Despite the Updates designations being different numeric versions they are indeed the same update which will be ACR 8.3, by now.

I have PSElements-11, PS-CS6 and PS-CC on my computer and I have Camera Raw, Camera Raw 7 and Camera Raw 8 as ACR updates that are checked for.  If there was only ever one ACR update checked for and offered you couldn't update ACR for various products.

On a Windows 7 64-bit system there should be two CR plug-ins, one for the 32-bit version of PS under Program Files (x86) and one for the 64-bit PS under Program Files.  Is it possible that you only have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of PS-CS6 installed or were there actually two Camera Raw.8bi files for CS6 and you only mentioned one?  If there was indeed only one, then perhaps something isn't isntalled entirely correctly and that is stopping the updates from working.  The only way to fix that would be to uninstall CS6 entirely, then re-install it which should put both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on including the two ACR 7.x plug-ins, then do a Help / Updates and install the latest ACR 8.3 update.

But before you do all that what does running Help / Updates do with Camera Raw 7 as the selected update?  Does that complete or does it fail?

• 8. Re: Can't Upgrade to Camera Raw 8.2 in CS6
                        Winter Star Level 1

the updater in CS6 worked perfectly.thank you thank you!! I am back from a service trip to Emoja Village and Mercy Home orphanage in Kenya-I was a bit

panic stricken when I was unable to access some of the best shots.