24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 9:39 AM by Bill Gehrke

CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports

1funnybunny Level 1

I would like to know which upgrade will yield the most benefit - reduction in export time - for my situation.

My current rig:

I am using an Extreme 11 X79 motherboard by ASROCK. I have 64 gigabytes of RAM. A 1 terabyte hard drive at 10,000 RPM and a 4 terabyte hard drive at 7,200 RPM.

Currently I am using the ASUS GTX TITAN 6GB Video Card.  My processor - at this time - is the i7-3970x.

Possible directions:

I would like to upgrade to the Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz CPU.  Or I would like to upgrade to a 4-way SLI configuration featuring the GTX 780 TI. Or both.

My concern is about reducing the export time.

Is the export function dependent mostly on the CPU or GPU?

Will upgrading to the 4-way SLI configuration but keeping the i7-3970x processor yield better (lower) exporting time than keeping the single GTX Titan but upgrading to the 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697? All while keeping the same motherboard.

Which benefits will I encounter with an upgrade of graphics card to 4-sli GTX 780 TI, while keeping the same processor?

Which benefits will I encounter with upgrading the process to a 12-core, while keeping the same graphics card, GTX Titan?

Sidenote:

I performed the GPUSniffer "hack" in order to enable the Mercury Playback Engine: GPU Acceleration. However, I don't see a reduction in export time. In fact, it took 1 second longer to export an approximately 5 minute video in 1080p mpeg. I did not experience any errors with this hack aside from an "access denied" error when I forget to open and save my changes in Notepad as administrator. Opening Notepad as administrator resolved this. So, I cannot figure out what went wrong here. How much of a reduction in exporting time should I see when the GPU acceleration is enabled?

Message was edited by: 1funnybunny

• 1. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
          cc_merchant Level 4

See Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

Steps to take:

1. Improve your disk setup significantly. See Tweakers Page - Disk Setup
          2. Add a raid controller. See Tweakers Page - To Raid or not to Raid
          3. Further improve your disk setup with 4 GB cache on the controller.
          4. Overclock the CPU to around 4.4 GHz.
          5. ...
          6. ...
          7. ...
          8. Change the mobo and the CPU to a dual Xeon E5-2697 v2 configuration with 128 GB RAM
          9. Forget about multiple video cards for the time being.

Which benefits will I encounter with an upgrade of graphics card to 4-sli GTX 780 TI, while keeping the same processor?

None. Performance may even decrease because of the reduction from PCIe-16x to PCIe-8x or even PCIe-4x, not to mention the huge PSU requirements.

• 2. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
            1funnybunny Level 1

The extreme 11 x79 claims to run all video cards at x16.  Support 4-Way SLI/CrossFireX™ in full x16 PCIe 3.0 speed.

• 3. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
              cc_merchant Level 4

The X79 chipset has only 40 available PCIe lanes, of which 24 are used for the first video card (16) and raid controller (8), which leaves 16 lanes for all the other cards. But anyway, encoding is purely a CPU matter, so the GPU is not used during export.

• 4. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                JEShort01 Level 4

Funnybunny,

Regarding your question, possibly neither! (regarding wether to increase cpu or gpu to improve export to MPEG)

You have a strong GPU, a fast 6-core CPU, and comparatively speaking a weak drive I/O group.

Questions:

- which version of Premiere Pro?

- do you have any 3rd party color correctors, filters, effects used in your timeline?

- what is your media?

- what exact settings are you exporting to?

Comments at this stage:

- you (and this forum) could benefit from knowing your PPBM6 benchmark scores; see www.ppbm7.com; there are 4 tests that do an excellent job of separating out the performance of drive speed, cpu, and gpu

- another quick test would be to monitor your cpu usage (task manager) and gpu usage (MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision) usage during a render; there are 4 possible results: A) all cpu cores are maxed out for the whole render; I really doubt this is the case since you are outputting to MPEG; B) your GPU is working in excess of 80 percent; I doubt this too, but this would indicate you are GPU limited and IF you are using Premeire Pro CC (earlier versions don't use more than one GPU card), then adding another GTX Titan or 780 variant would definitely speed things up; I doubt this is the case too, or C) your cpu is only showing 1/12th usage; this would indicate you have something in your workflow that is single-threaded and only allowing the system to use one core (your 6-core is hyperthreaded so you will see 12 cores in task manager), or D) Your CPU usage is showing higher than 1/12th, but much lower than 100% and your GPU is showing less than 50%; this would indicate that you are drive I/O bound meaning that your write speed for the export is the limiting (critical path) for your exports.

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Asrock x79 Extreme has a built-in LSI RAID controller, you should take advantage of that and get more speed for your disk system.

As said above download and run the newest PPBM6 or 7-DE.  It was just updated on January 25 2014, and now runs on either Premiere CS6 or Premiere 7 (CC).  It has two tests that dramatically will show you the performance difference between encoding with GPU assistance and using the CPU only.  It will also show us how efficient the CPU is under different timelines and how well your disk write performs.  Post your results from the Output.csv file here

Also it does have another chip on the motherboard which adds additional PCIe lanes but you really do not want or need additional GPU's until you get your other problems fixed.  Have you tuned your system?

It is really neat that your motherboard supports that 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697  If it turns out that your system needs more CPU (and that you can afford it) that might be the way to go.   I have day-dreamed about that solution.  But, since we at PPBM have not seen that combination tested it worries me that Asrock may not be able to take full advantage of that processor

• 6. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                    1funnybunny Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

It is really neat that your motherboard supports that 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697  If it turns out that your system needs more CPU (and that you can afford it) that might be the way to go.   I have day-dreamed about that solution.  But, since we at PPBM have not seen that combination tested it worries me that Asrock may not be able to take full advantage of that processor

I am day-dreaming about it as well. However, I was looking at these benchmarks results. From what I take, the 4960x is lower in time. I will be exporting 10 hours of video. So, even upgrading to the 4960x will help me. But I just don't know whether I should take it all the way to the E5-2697 V2 based on some benchmarks.

"Alright, so the Adobe CS 6 testing didn’t really demonstrate Intel’s upcoming Xeon E5-2697 V2 to be a big step forward compared to some of the company’s other processors with higher clock rates and lower core counts. That might sound like an issue for design professionals interested in running Adobe’s software on the upcoming Mac Pro."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-ep-xeon-e5-2697-v2-benchmarks,3585-5.html

Bill Gehrke wrote:

The Asrock x79 Extreme has a built-in LSI RAID controller, you should take advantage of that and get more speed for your disk system.

From the task manager, I see that I'm getting a write speed of about 25 to 30 MB/s. My drive though is a WD 4TB (WD4000FYYZ). I don't want to tinker with the drives at this point. Too much important data. It's burnt to blu-ray. But I don't have the time to make any mistake.

The memory is sometimes utilized from 6% to 50% depending on the task.

Bill Gehrke wrote:

As said above download and run the newest PPBM6 or 7-DE.  It was just updated on January 25 2014, and now runs on either Premiere CS6 or Premiere 7 (CC).  It has two tests that dramatically will show you the performance difference between encoding with GPU assistance and using the CPU only.  It will also show us how efficient the CPU is under different timelines and how well your disk write performs.  Post your results from the Output.csv file here

Thanks for the advice. I'll get to that today. I'm behind a firewall and it keeps blocking the download.

Bill Gehrke wrote:

It will also show us how efficient the CPU is under different timelines and how well your disk write performs. 

I've noticed that exporting to FLV file is inefficient, utilizing about 20-30% of the CPU. But when I export as a 1080p mpeg, I get 92-100% CPU utilization, when including the other programs. About 85-92% utilization of just the Adobe Premiere.

• 7. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                      1funnybunny Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

Questions:

- which version of Premiere Pro?

- do you have any 3rd party color correctors, filters, effects used in your timeline?

- what is your media?

- what exact settings are you exporting to?

-CS6 Master Collection

-No color correctors, no filters, and no effects used at this point.

-Excerpts from news clips, documentaries, and scholalry articles and in all different formats: JPEG, FLV, MPEG, and so forth.

-I need to export a roughly 10-hour watermarked video to several parties. If it's uploaded to the public web, then I'll need to know the identify of the uploader provided that the visual watermark is not removed. There can be hidden ones too. It will be at an exceptionally low resolution and 1 FPS. Audio at mono and 8 kHz or whatever is appropriately discernable for mostly speech. Source tracking (different recipients get differently watermarked content).

-Whichever party wants to take on this task will receive a higher-res video.

- I'd appreciate any recommendations for watermarking, fingerprinting both video and audio. Any other programs, services to track source and watermark, fingerprint.

JEShort01 wrote:

- another quick test would be to monitor your cpu usage (task manager) and gpu usage (MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision) usage during a render; there are 4 possible results: A) all cpu cores are maxed out for the whole render; I really doubt this is the case since you are outputting to MPEG; B) your GPU is working in excess of 80 percent; I doubt this too, but this would indicate you are GPU limited and IF you are using Premeire Pro CC (earlier versions don't use more than one GPU card), then adding another GTX Titan or 780 variant would definitely speed things up; I doubt this is the case too, or C) your cpu is only showing 1/12th usage; this would indicate you have something in your workflow that is single-threaded and only allowing the system to use one core (your 6-core is hyperthreaded so you will see 12 cores in task manager), or D) Your CPU usage is showing higher than 1/12th, but much lower than 100% and your GPU is showing less than 50%; this would indicate that you are drive I/O bound meaning that your write speed for the export is the limiting (critical path) for your exports.

Regards,

Jim

- there are 4 possible results: A) all cpu cores are maxed out for the whole render; I really doubt this is the case since you are outputting to MPEG.

Yes. That was the case.

In this example, I exported a video as 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 fps, Progressive, Quality 50, 48,000 Hz, Stereo 16 bit - Match Sequence Settings - MPEG. This was from an Olympus OM-D E-M5. No other source. No web video. Just directly from an Olympus OM-D E-M5.

The length of the clip was 1 minute 21 seconds. 1 minute and 16 seconds of video. The remaning 5 seconds were about 16 photos at 16 megapixels.

This is what I see in the task manager. I'm running Windows 8.0. This is just the CPU% for the Adobe Premiere I'm providing.

- Mercury Playback software engine only.

7% - CPU: 70%

12% - CPU: 77% - RAM: 6,300 MB/s

17% - CPU: 84.5% - RAM: 6,300 MB/s

37% - CPU: 88% - RAM: 6,400 MB/s - Disk: 22.9 MB/s

47% - CPU: 88% - RAM: 6,300 MB/s - Disk: 23.0 MB/s

86% - CPU: 78.7 - RAM: 8,600 MB/s - Disk 23.6 MB/s

89% - CPU: 26.6% - RAM: 9,000 MB - Disk: 20.1 MB/s

96% - CPU: 5% - RAM: 9,000 <MB - Disk 40.6 MB/s

It took about 25 seconds to export.

Even when I click CUDA GPU acceleration on the Project settings. I get similar results to the ones that I listed above.

I will try out the PPBM6 or 7-DE once I can download it.

• 8. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                        cc_merchant Level 4

-CS6 Master Collection

That reduces your options. Only ONE video card is used by CS6 when using hardware MPE. Two or more is not possible.

• 9. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports

1funnybunny wrote:

Bill Gehrke wrote:

From the task manager, I see that I'm getting a write speed of about 25 to 30 MB/s. My drive though is a WD 4TB (WD4000FYYZ).

That is not a test of drive performamce.  Your drive in a drive benchmark should really be in excess of 100 MB/s both read and write unless it is external or it is more than 50% full.

That 1 minute 21 second export in 25 seconds shows me that your hardware system is not at fault

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 10. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                            1funnybunny Level 1

That is not a test of drive performamce.  Your drive in a drive benchmark should really be in excess of 100 MB/s both read and write unless it is external or it is more than 50% full.

I agree. I used Passmark's PerformanceTest.

My results:

Velociraptor - 1 TB

Passmark Score: 1302

Disk - Sequential Read: 172.7 MB/s

Disk Sequential Write:168.0 MB/s

Disk - Random Seek + RW:19.3 MB/s

WD (WD4000FYYZ) 4 TB:

Passmark Score: 857

Disk - Sequential Read: 115.7 MB/s

Disk Sequential Write: 114.7 MB/s

Disk - Random Seek + RW: 6.5 MB/s

The 25 to 30 MB/s are the real world results per the task manager. At times it will burst up to 40 MB/s. I'm sure the factor is the type of data that is read and written on these performance tests versus the video data.

• 11. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports

Well when you get the PPBM6 DE benchmark you can have a real application specific (Premiere) test that will show you the time it takes Premiere to write out a large file.

As I asked before have you done any tuning to your system?

• 12. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                1funnybunny Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Well when you get the PPBM6 DE benchmark you can have a real application specific (Premiere) test that will show you the time it takes Premiere to write out a large file.

Yes. I've downloaded the file and haven't encountered any anti-virus warnings. I'll give it a try shortly.

Bill Gehrke wrote:

No. I haven't tuned my system aside from the GTX Titan GPUSniffer "hack". What does tuning entail? I did a quick Google search but cannot find tuning directions for Premiere Pro.

• 13. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Uptil now I have not been a big fan of overclocking my systems, but I have 2 3930K systems and overclocked then to 4,2 GHz and the run fine without problems, and no extreme temperatures at all, so that is a "free" extra speed you get. You need good cooling of course - I have the Noctura NH-D14, recommended by Harm a long time back, and it works great.

Ulf

• 14. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                    1funnybunny Level 1

I'm the same. Not a fan of overclocking. I'd rather have reliability. But I am using the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO.

• 15. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports

My personal choice in CPU cooler is also the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO.

Tuning is turning off all processes that are not necessary.  I have a tuning guide that I used for Win 7.  You will have to adapt it Win 8 and your personal usage.  Another resource is BlackViper

• 16. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                        1funnybunny Level 1

Bill, I ran the tests. But how do I view the output file? I see one created on the desktop. But nothing appears within the file itself. I have Excel 2013. The file size is 0 bytes.

All tests used the 7,200 HD.

Step One:

4 TB Drive 7,200 RPM

Speeds From 105- 143 MB/s

Memory: 214.9 MB/s

CPU: 2.1% - Adobe Premiere Pro only

Time: 12:04:15am - 12:08:16am

Step Two (wrong): (I ran Step Two as if it were Step One)

Time: 12:21:19am - 12:34:10am 

CPU: 82.6%

Memory: 326.0 MB/s

Disk: 8.3 MB/s

Step Two

Time: 12:38:10am to 12:38:45am [35 seconds]

CPU: 43.0% (Typical) - Memory: 8,200 (Peak) - Disk 9.5 MB/s

Step Three

Time:  12:40:56am - wrote ending time down incorrectly. I think it was 7-8 minutes or so.

CPU: 99.7%

Memory: 58,847.6

Disk: 0.5 MB/s

Step Four:

Time: 12:51:50am - 12:54:20am

CPU - 21.6 Premiere

Memory: 11,478 to about 20,000MB/s

Disk 4.44 MB/s

ImporterREDServer.exe - many instances of this exe running around 5% CPU a piece.

I'll re-run these again. But I just want to view the output file first.

• 17. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The best CPU is really decided by the codecs of media used and FX along with the codec you are exporting to. The  12 Core V2 Xeon is the best option when dealing with Red or DNG especially over 1080. However that is not the best option for Mpeg based codecs whether Mpeg 2 or Mpeg4/AVC. That would be the 6 Core clocked at 4.2 to 4.4GHz which is a safe and easily attainable OC if done right. The GPU's only aid certain function on export such as scaling, interpolation, and some FX. A single 780TI or 2 at most will give you the ideal export speed with regards to Premiere. Keep in mind the CPU has to decode the media first and create the ram buffers for the data getting GPU processed. A single CPU cant really push a single 780Ti card right now not alone 2. Anymore than that is wasted and will sit idle right now. Beyond that an SSD media drive and SSD export would give you the best latency for export speed. That would be the only other spec to help.

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                            UlfLaursen Level 2

This is a great explanation, Eric - thanks a lot!! :)

One question though reg. GPU for single 6 core processor @ 4.2/4.4 GHz:

Would a 770 card be better utilized then?

Thanks

Ulf

• 19. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

It would if the media was not greater than 2K. However I would still suggest the 780Ti if that is in the budget. The GPU acceleration is going to continue to evolve and use more of the GPU besides the media evolution. Always better to build for the future when possible.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                                1funnybunny Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

I think I followed the instructions.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/homepage/instructions

"Create a directory called PPBM6 on your Premiere project disk and download the PPBM6 file and unzip it in that directory."

Unfortunately I cannot view the results. I re-ran all the tests after freshly downloading the 1GB file and unzipping it once again.

I exported the videos to the same folder that I unzippped the PPBM6or7-DE folder C:\Users\REALNAME\Desktop\PPBM6 or 7-DE\. I ran PPBM6-DE.prproj and followed the on-screen instructions.

Where should I save the export files? In the same folder as the unzipped PPBMDor7DE folder? Create a directory called "PPBM6"? But there is a deeper layer. C:\Users\REALNAME\Desktop\PPBM6or 7-DE\PPBM6or7-DE.

I'm just not sure what went wrong.

Because when I try to open the VBScript with Internet Explorer, it just immediately closes. The output CSV file is of course still 0 KB. BUt the VB script file is about 6 KB.

• 22. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                                  1funnybunny Level 1

1funnybunny wrote:

Bill Gehrke wrote:

I think I followed the instructions.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/homepage/instructions

"Create a directory called PPBM6 on your Premiere project disk and download the PPBM6 file and unzip it in that directory."

Unfortunately I cannot view the results. I re-ran all the tests after freshly downloading the 1GB file and unzipping it once again.

I exported the videos to the same folder that I unzippped the PPBM6or7-DE folder C:\Users\REALNAME\Desktop\PPBM6 or 7-DE\. I ran PPBM6-DE.prproj and followed the on-screen instructions.

Where should I save the export files? In the same folder as the unzipped PPBMDor7DE folder? Create a directory called "PPBM6"? But there is a deeper layer. C:\Users\REALNAME\Desktop\PPBM6or 7-DE\PPBM6or7-DE.

I'm just not sure what went wrong.

Because when I try to open the VBScript with Internet Explorer, it just immediately closes. The output CSV file is of course still 0 KB. BUt the VB script file is about 6 KB.

I will try it again. But this time I will unzip the PPBM6or7-DE folder to C:\CREATEANAME\PPBM6. I will then try: C:\Users\THECOMPUTERLOGINNAME\PPBM6

"Now you can close Premiere Pro. No need to save the project. The next step is to run the file 'Statistics PPBM6-v3.vbs' for CS6 or 'Statistics PPBM7-v3.vbs' for CC from Explorer by double clicking on this file. It can be found in the same directory where you installed the PPBM6 project, so usually in:

<drive>:\<name>\PPBM6"

As mentioned before, I'm just not certain what went wrong. I think I'm following the directions.

• 23. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports
                                                    1funnybunny Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

I still cannot get the script to work regardless of the directory and naming. I was able to read the plaintext by opening the script with notepad. Apparently the script just measures the time.

This time around I'm using a stopwatch.

Encoding Disk Test:

4 minutes 23 seconds --> Velociraptor - 1 TB

Step 2:

Encoding MPEG2-DVD Test

0 minutes and 27 seconds

Step 3:

Encoding MPEG2-DVD Test

9 minutes and 43 seconds

Step 4:

H.264

2 minutes and 24 seconds

System Specs:

INTEL Core i7-3960X

COOLER MASTER, Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

ASROCK Extreme11 X79

CRUCIAL, 64GB (8 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

LIANLI PC-A71F

ENERMAX Platimax EPM1350EWT

Asus GTXTITAN-6GD5

4TB WD4000FYYZ SATA 7200 RPM 64MB 3.5IN 6GB/S

WEWD1000DHTZ 1 TB VelociRaptor 3.5" Internal HDD

ASUS BW-14D1XT BD DRIVE

WINDOW 8 PRO

• 24. Re: CPU versus GPU Upgrade or Both concerning Exports

First of all you should not be using your Projects, only OS/Apps go on your C: drive.

The Script is not to be opened with an application just double click it and it will create an Output.csv file in the Project folder where the statistics file resides

Four minutes and 23 seconds (263 seconds is a transfer rate of 103 MB/second) to export the Disk I/O test is not great but might be appreciably better if you put it in the 4 TB drive

Your GTX Titan is working great with the MPEG2-DVD GPU assisted test 26 seconds in step 2

Your CPU is doing resonably well with the 583 seconds for the MPEG2-DVD with CPU only.

If I had your setup I would overclock just a bit, and since you paid about $200 or $300 more for your motherbard and got a built-in LSI RAID controller that is what I would take advantage of and put in some RAID SSD's as your disk system is weak as noted earlier.

Sorry but I do not get email notifications from this forum for some weird reason so my responses are not very prompt.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke 3/3/2014

Sorry but I made a major mistake above in the Disk I/O calculation, blame it on my "OldTimers" disease,  your 4 minutes and 23 second time is much better than I said, that is a trasnfer rate of 141 MB/sec, but do put your PPBM project folder and all results on the 4 TB drive