22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 4:28 PM by Brazzell MA

Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc

loocas

I'm on a dual Xeon E5-2630 v2, 48GB of registered RAM, tons of SSD drives and a GeForce GTX 680 (Windows 7 SP1 x64, ENG), yet Photoshop CC has recently decided that it wasn't enough and performs MISERABLY while doing the most basic operations, such as Nudge or Crop.

I constatly have to watch my cursor turning into the spinning wheel and then a ******* Nudge progress bar dialog appears (!!!).

I am talking about a 20MB file, 1400x500px dimensions and about 20 simple layers here!!

I mean, WHAT THE HELL?!

Photoshop CC is BY FAR the WORST POS version I've ever worked with!

Anyone else experienced similar behavior? I can't believe a PC worth about $10000 USD is not enough to handle such an uber-advanced software as Photoshop!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your PC is not worth even 100 bucks if it's misconfigured. That's the harsh reality here. Check your graphics driver and the 680's power management options and fix it by updating to the latest or downgrading to an older version that actually works. And if you don't mind: Get a better card. The 6xx series is one of the worst nVidia have ever released.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
            loocas Level 1

Allright, I don't mind upgrading troubled hardware at all, but you'd have to first prove to me that this is the source of the problem.

My PC is rather fine-tuned and with the latest and greatest drivers. That's what I care about since I want the most performance out of it (on a Windows platform, that is).

The other thing is, why is the GPU even relevant when this issue was happening on PS configured with the GPU turned off, or rahter with the GPU not contributing to the performance (in the preferences)?

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
              Curt Y Level 7

According to the Passmark score of 5705 the gtx 680 should just fly.

Is it possible that you have an onboard Intel gpu that is taking over?

Have you added or updated some software, like anit-virus, that is now causing conflicts?

Are you working on a network?

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                loocas Level 1

Hey, Curt,

regarding the questions:

1) I'm not sure the integrated GPU should be taking over. I'll make double sure that I disabled it in BIOS, because I don't remember doing it, but I'm sure I'd have done it.

2) No, no antivirus here (don't care as I don't really click on BigT*ts.exe in e-mail attachments etc... )

3) No, all local on a RAID-0 SSD drives on an internal HW 6gbps RAID controller. Should be flying, as you said.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                  loocas Level 1

Jeffrey, here it is:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2 (14.2 20131211.r.515 2013/12/11:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:4 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 12

Logical processor count: 24

Processor speed: 2600 MHz

Built-in memory: 49119 MB

Free memory: 44019 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 44700 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 59 %

Image tile size: 1028K

Image cache levels: 8

Font Preview: Medium

TextComposer: Latin

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1200, right=1920

Display: 2

Display Bounds: top=0, left=-1920, bottom=1200, right=0

OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

AIFCoreInitialized=1

AIFOGLInitialized=1

OGLContextCreated=1

NumGPUs=1

gpu[0].OGLVersion="3.0"

gpu[0].MemoryMB=2048

gpu[0].RectTextureSize=16384

gpu[0].Renderer="GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2"

gpu[0].RendererID=4480

gpu[0].Vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

gpu[0].VendorID=4318

gpu[0].HasNPOTSupport=1

gpu[0].DriverVersion="9.18.13.3221"

gpu[0].Driver="nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um"

gpu[0].DriverDate="20131219000000.000000-000"

gpu[0].CompileProgramGLSL=1

gpu[0].TestFrameBuffer=1

gpu[0].OCLPresent=1

gpu[0].OCLVersion="1.1"

gpu[0].CUDASupported=1

gpu[0].CUDAVersion="6.0.1"

gpu[0].OCLBandwidth=1.52585e+011

gpu[0].glGetString[GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION]="4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler"

gpu[0].glGetProgramivARB[GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB][GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB]=[16384]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS]=[4]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[192]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_DRAW_BUFFERS]=[8]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[4096]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[2048]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS]=[124]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS]=[16]

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_SHADER]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_EXT_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_OCCLUSION_QUERY]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_SHADER_TEXTURE_LOD]=1

License Type: Subscription

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\loocas\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

F:\, 29.8G, 5.01G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                    Curt Y Level 7

Did you change or add any other dirvers like camera, scanner, printer?  And 3rd party fonts and plugins are always suspect with strange behavior.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                      loocas Level 1

Not that I'm aware of.

Last thing I was installing was a new WiFi card, but that actually increased the speed of my connection.

Regarding fonts, I did install a handful of various fonts, but only through the standard Windows font management, no 3rd party tools used.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                        Curt Y Level 7

A 3rd party font is one that is not included with PS.  Might try disabling that folder.  Just put a tilde ~ in front of it.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                          loocas Level 1

I can't disable Windows system fonts! All fonts I use are installed in the Windows\Fonts folder via explorer. I'm not a graphics designer, so I don't need a robust font management. I just grab what I use and install it in Windows. Done, never to worry about it again.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I see Photoshop scratch disk is a small disk with only 5G free. Is that a small ssd dedicated to Photoshop or is F: shared?  5G can be quickly eaten by Photoshop..

Scratch volume(s):

F:\, 29.8G, 5.01G free

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                              loocas Level 1

It is a fast SSD dedicated to temps and scratches for many other programs. Could this be the issue? The file was tiny, about 20MB and the operations were trivial, so I can hardly see the few GIGABYTES of scratch disk size being any issue.

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc

The File 20MB what format  how much compression what is the document size. As I wrote I feel 5G is not much free disk space for Photoshop..

MySystem.jpg

• 14. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                  loocas Level 1

Thanks, but still, isn't 48GB of RAM better than any amount of HDD space? What gives? And why is it even relevant to my issue? PS didn't need more than a gig with that specific file open.

And besides, extending the cache to other drives with much more available space DID NOT HELP at all.

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                    Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Have you tried restoring your preferences to their defaults? You have some non-default settings in your profile. After restoring prefs, I would suggest going to Preferences>Performance... [Advanced Settings...] and set the drawing mode to Basic. Restart Photoshop and see if the issue persists. If it does disable Use Graphics Processor altogether and restart PS to see if the issue persists. If it does, try booting into SafeMode to eliminate all drivers and system extensions.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                      loocas Level 1

Hmm... so far, seems to have helped!

I'll have to investigate furhter, of course, but for now, the delays and lags seem to have dissappeared! Thank you, Jeffrey! I'll let you know if anything changes or if it deosn't work.

For the record, I held Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting PS to get the prompt to delete the prefs.

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc

Can you repost your system info? I want to compare the changes.

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                          loocas Level 1

Sure:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2 (14.2 20131211.r.515 2013/12/11:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:4 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Processor speed: 2600 MHz

Free memory: 43199 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 44698 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 4

Font Preview: Medium

TextComposer: Latin

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1200, right=1920

Display: 2

Display Bounds: top=0, left=-1920, bottom=1200, right=0

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

AIFCoreInitialized=1

AIFOGLInitialized=1

OGLContextCreated=1

NumGPUs=1

gpu[0].OGLVersion="3.0"

gpu[0].MemoryMB=2048

gpu[0].RectTextureSize=16384

gpu[0].Renderer="GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2"

gpu[0].RendererID=4480

gpu[0].Vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

gpu[0].VendorID=4318

gpu[0].HasNPOTSupport=1

gpu[0].DriverVersion="9.18.13.3221"

gpu[0].Driver="nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um"

gpu[0].DriverDate="20131219000000.000000-000"

gpu[0].CompileProgramGLSL=1

gpu[0].TestFrameBuffer=1

gpu[0].OCLPresent=1

gpu[0].OCLVersion="1.1"

gpu[0].CUDASupported=1

gpu[0].CUDAVersion="6.0.1"

gpu[0].OCLBandwidth=1.5373e+011

gpu[0].glGetString[GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION]="4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler"

gpu[0].glGetProgramivARB[GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB][GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB]=[16384]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS]=[4]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[192]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_DRAW_BUFFERS]=[8]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[4096]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[2048]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS]=[124]

gpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS]=[16]

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_SHADER]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_EXT_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_OCCLUSION_QUERY]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT]=1

gpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_SHADER_TEXTURE_LOD]=1

License Type: Subscription

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\loocas\AppData\Local\Temp\

Scratch volume(s):

F:\, 29.8G, 5.48G free

E:\, 931.5G, 831.7G free

D:\, 475.0G, 128.4G free

C:\, 111.7G, 27.4G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

hello, had you restarted after adding more scratch disks?

• 20. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc

You asked about RAM. Ram is always good to have your letting Photoshop use up to 70% now if you do not run a lot of other applications when Photoshop is up you could set the 70% to something like 95%.  Photoshop will not grab a lot of ram till its feels it needs to during a session. Once it grabs RAM it will not return it till Photoshop is closed down. Photoshop manages the RAM it grabs and reuses it.  Photoshop will write large amount of data to scratch disk space also.  From your last system info It looks like you just started Photoshop and have not done much in Photoshop.

Free memory: 43199 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 44698 MB

48GB Ram Photoshop allowed to use 70%   currently there are 43GB of RAM free.  That means  The system, Photoshop and any other open application like perhaps a browser are currently using 5GB of RAM.  Your Photoshop scratch  disk now are

Scratch volume(s):

F:\, 29.8G, 5.48G free

E:\, 931.5G, 831.7G free

D:\, 475.0G, 128.4G free

C:\, 111.7G, 27.4G free

If you were to search your F: SSD at that time with the windows file explorer that's allowed to find hidden files searching for a file with  "Photoshop" in it name  you would find a file something like "Photoshop Temp73685603864" that would be around 4GB in size on a system configured like yours just after starting Photoshop.  F: has less the 6GB left free.  Photoshop can eat that fast. Try using menu File>Automate>Photomerge stitch a dozen or so camera images together and observe your F: disk free space drop. My machint is slower them yours and only has 40GB of ECC Ram I watched my  4GB "Photoshop Temp73685603864"  file grow to 9.4GB when I stitch 13 5MP images into a 360 pano.  A single document 13 layers with 13 layer mask. Canvas 17291px x 2571px. Only 6GB of RAM was being used for 34GB were still free.

Processor speed: 1995 MHz

Built-in memory: 40886 MB

Free memory: 33938 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 37152 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 95 %

• 21. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc

The difference is one or a combination of these settings:

Old (non-default):

Memory used by Photoshop: 59 %

Image tile size: 1028K

Image cache levels: 8

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

New (default/system chosen):

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

My guess is it's the drawing mode - although the tile sizes being set to 1028 instead of 1024 can mess with things if the processor is expecting different size chunks.

• 22. Re: Photoshop CC stutters, lags, freezes constantly while performing simple operations (Crop, Nudge, etc
                                                  Brazzell MA Level 1

I am also finding that Photoshop CC has a lot more trouble running than any previous version of Photoshop I've used.  Photoshop CS3 ran great on my machine.  Photoshop CC now locks up near daily and the spell check almost never works.  I've cleared my personal preferences, but that doesn't seem to have helped.