6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 7:38 PM by A.T. Romano

AVCHD to DVD

Michael Stehly Level 1

I am using  Premiere Elements 12.  How many minutes will fit on a DVD disk?  I am using the following presets:  NTSC Widescreen Dolby DVD.  I also select the Quality-Fit contents to available space. 

• 1. Re: AVCHD to DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean a Standard Definition "regular" DVD or are you asking about putting HiDef on a DVD to play back on a BluRay player?

Do you mean on a single layer or double layer DVD?

SD on a single layer will be "somewhere" between 1 and 1.5 hours... somewhat depending on what you have... a video of someone standing at a podium talking (with little movement) does not take as much space (ie-bit rate) as a sporting event with lots of movement

If you are asking about HiDef to a DVD... about 20 minutes

AVCHD to DVD as HiDet http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1347988

• 2. Re: AVCHD to DVD
            Michael Stehly Level 1

I am creating a Standard Definition "regular" DVD single layer.  Some of my videos are from my grandson's football games.  I do not video the entire game.  I only video him when he makes a play.

• 3. Re: AVCHD to DVD

Video from a football game with lots of action will look "good" at about 1 hour per single layer DVD... maybe a bit more... experiment and keep records

• 4. Re: AVCHD to DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For an SD (Standard Definition) DVD-Video (Single Layer disc - DVD-5), and regardless of what your original Source Footage is, you should be able to author about 90 mins. (Timeline Duration), at the highest Quality setting. The DVD-5 is generally listed to handle 120 mins., but the Qualtiy might need to be lowered a bit (Bit-Rate), to fit that onto the disc. That reduction in Quality/Bit-Rate might be just fine, but with high-motion material, might show us.

My "rule of thumb" is ~ 90 mins. Duration, and above that, I usually test my exact footage, or move up to a DVD DL (DVD-9) disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Or what John T says!!!

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit] as John T. basically said the same thing, and posted before me.

• 5. Re: AVCHD to DVD

For "action" video my "rule of thumb" (where did that saying come frome?) is a bit more conservative at 1 hour or "maybe a bit more"

But, as I said, experimenting and keeping records so Michael may determine how much time looks good to HIM is the best thing to do (DVD's are not that expensive today... not compared to creating a "once in a lifetime highlite video" that doesn't look good)

ADDED - Google knows everything! (or, at least, can find everything) http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

• 6. Re: AVCHD to DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

Your best guide to all this is to view the actual Space Required and Bitrate when you have your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray and are in the burn dialog just before you hit burn (check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space".

For the DVD disc labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes, in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB. And, for the DVD double layer single sided labeled 8.5 GB/240 minutes, in reality that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB.

As described, the program will automatically try to make the fit until it can do so no longer. The max bitrate is 8.00 Mbps. When you see that bitrate lower than 8.00 Mbps, you know that the program is intervening to make the fit. A small lowering the bitrate is often not noticable in end product quality. More than a small amount can be a problem and force you to think DVD double layer single sided disc if you are using the standard disc.

Any clarification needed on this, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR