5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2014 1:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Organizer crashes when importing videos

NickBurger

After installing Premiere Elements 12, I have problems importing videos (MTS from a CamCorder) in organizer.

The first 3 to 6 videos are imported and thumbnails generated. But then no thumbnail is generated and the program

seems to hang. When I close the organizer it hangs around in task manager. If I do not close it, it will crash after a while.

What can I do?

Kind regards, Nick

• 1. Re: Organizer crashes when importing videos
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Organizer crashes when importing videos
            NickBurger Level 1

The OS is Win 7 (64bit) with 16Gb RAM. All current updates are installed.

The videos are MTS files from a Canon HD10 CamCorder.

After a quick look into the windows event logs I found a hint pointing to ffdshow. After I deactivated this for PhotoshopElementsOrganzier.exe

I was able to import about 15 videos without a crash.

I will also check the quicktime version.

• 3. Re: Organizer crashes when importing videos
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

Glad that the news is good, and thank you for reporting what the cause was.

FFDShow has been known to cause several issues with various Adobe programs. However, some seem to be able to use it just fine, with many of those same Adobe programs. Why/how it works well with the same Adobe programs, where others have severe issues, is unknown. There are probably factors, below the surface, but I have never seen a complete review of the "whys and hows." I just avoid it.

As it often gets installed with many free CODEC packs, many do not recommend those, but suggest installing ONLY the CODEC's that are necessary for the footage, that they need to work with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Organizer crashes when importing videos
                NickBurger Level 1

Looks like I'm not lucky. I still have problems. No crash but when I drag&drop more than one movie clip int the organizer after while no thumbnails are created. It looks like a grey rectangle with a video icon on it. When I close the organizer only the window is closed. Organizer ist still hanging around in the task manager and I have to kill it. After that I can refresh the thumbnail and everything is file until I import several videos at once again. If I do it one by one it seems like there are no such problems.

I have also videos that can be imported by no thumbnail is created. I thought that it might help to convert the AVI to MP4 with MPEG4-Format, but still no thumbnail is created. The video can be played with no problem.

I have a bunch of Adobe Programs installed, but never had problems like this.

Any Ideas?

Thanx for all helpful hints.

Nick

• 5. Re: Organizer crashes when importing videos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Nick

Have you tried incorporating into your Troubleshooting the deletion of the Elements Organizer settings file. We could do the Ctrl+Alt+Shift hold down of the Organizer Tab and selecting Yes to delete settings file, or we could go to the settings file and disable it

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and, in the Organizer Folder, renamed the psa.prf file from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Then reopen Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer and gauge the result.

If all else fails, you might consider

Deactivate program in opened project, Help Menu/Sign Out

Uninstall, the usual Control Panel/Installed Panel route

ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned off. (good idea to check the antivirus on off even before doing any of the above).

ATR