5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 8:26 AM by A.T. Romano

Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-

hollanditus Level 1

Hello,

Premiere elements 12 is as good as new, my laptop is new and state of the art (Windows8.2), everythings seems te be working fine. But now and then premiere crashes while moving clips and the editing I just did is gone - despite auto save. When I open the file again I have to start from scratch on! (premiere is saving somewhere in .txt the edits I did but that is just text...). This is the 3th time in a few weeks.

What to do to solve this?

Thanks for thinking with me,

Robert

Ps. I am junior with premiere

• 1. Re: Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

Can you give us a bit more information to work with, please. This Tips & Tricks article goes into detail on what information would be very useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2701956#2701956

Also, regarding the AutoSaves, I have a few more questions:

1. When the program has crashed, are you not able to Open one of the AutoSave files?
          2. If not, what error message do you get?
          3. Where is your Project located on your system, i.e. which HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and do you find the AutoSave folder below that Project's "root folder?"
          4. Are there 5 AutoSave files in it (unless you have changed the default)?

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-
            A.T. Romano Level 7

hollanditus

How have you set up AutoSave under Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave?

The following screenshot is the default with the check mark next to "Automatically Save Project" and the fields filled in as shown. You can modify those fields if you want to.

There has been a classical long term discussion about how to start AutoSave, beyond just putting a check mark next to "Automatically Save Project". There are those that feel that you have to do one manual save before the AutoSave will kick in and start following the instructions that you gave in preferences.

AutoSave.JPG

The following is an Adobe document on Project Saving which can apply to versions 11 and 12.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA4213223-A072-483f-9A0A-B8A95742C2AE. html

Please let us know if you have questions or need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also worth noting, if one is going to an AutoSave version of a Project, is that AutoSave is FIFO (First In, First Out), meaning that if one has the default number of AutoSaves set to 5, at some point, there will 5 versions of the AutoSave Projects, 1 - 5. But, once that threshold of 5 has been reached, then for the 6th AutoSave, that will overwrite AutoSave 1, then 2, then 3 and so on, until 5 has been overwritten. When deciding on which AutoSave version is the most recent, it is helpful to compare the Date/Time of the AutoSave files, as AutoSave 3 might be more recent than AutoSave 5.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding Saves (all versions, including AutoSave), I like to use all versions, from time to time.

• The standard Save (Ctrl+S for a PC) is used often.
                • AutoSave is always ON.
                • Then, when I reach a point in the editing, where I have a lot of work, that I would not want to have to redo, I invoke a Save_As, and increment the Project's File Name, say by adding "_002" to the end. This has several benefits:
                  • My original Project is now out of the editing screen. I am now working with my [Project Name]_002, and it will also have its own AutoSave folder.
                • When I need to have variations of my Project, I will do a Save_As_a_Copy, then either keep working on my Save_As version, or Open that Copy, to continue working.

This Tips & Tricks article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

It also gives some background on exactly what is, and is not included in the PREL, the Project File.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Auto-save seems te word, but after a crash the edited version is gone - what to do?-
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

hollanditus

Hunt (post 3) has given you some generalized aspects of AutoSave overview.

But, if you need a detailed account, AutoSave to AutoSave, specific for the AutoSave settings that you set in preferences, I would offer to go through it with you.

You might want to explore an alternative to AutoSave, by periodically doing a File Menu/Save in order to save project work to a given point (current version of the project), but that would not give you some snapshots of the project just prior to the current version of it. If the AutoSave feature should, for any reason, become a liability, then you can think about the manual save just mentioned.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see Hunt's post 4 until I had posted this post.