6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 5:38 AM by altselect

Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?

altselect

I have been using PE11 on a quick machine with 8GB of RAM without any issues.  Thought I'd 'Upgrade' to PE12 and everything is (literally) 10 times slower.  I have to render everything before I can ply it in the timeline (never had to render in 11) and the rendering can be as slow as one frame a second.  Obviously this is unworkable when I import 20mins of video and it's 40,000 frames to render.  If I import the same info into PE11 it doesn't even need rendering.  I can drag along the blue arrow and see it all move as fast as I like with the stuttered audio going along with it.  In PE12 I need to move the arrow to a given point - stop it - and wait about 5 seconds to see the frame that is there and then it might play after about 5 seconds. 

It's driving me mad and I just can't fathom it.  Same machine - same file - same request of the software, but drastically different results.

I want to get my money back on PE12 as it was a waste of time - but don't know if that is possible.

Anyone else experiencing performance issues with 12?

Looking on the Internet in general it seems many many people have this issue (one chap had 32Gb RAM and experienced the same problems).  Must be down to the software.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If you purchased PrE 12 less than 30 days ago, you can return it to Adobe for your money back. You will need to contact Adobe Customer Support, and I would have my invoice, and S/N handly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
            altselect Level 1

Many thanks for the response.  I will look into this - but would rather keep the software if I can find out whether there is an intrinsic issue that will be resolved with a patch to the PrE12 software, or if I'm doing something wrong and need to be educated! 

Cheers,

Tom.

• 3. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

I have Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit and both work fine.

If you ever do decide to return for money back within 30 days of purchase from Adobe, you can click on the following link

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=orders-refunds-and-exc hanges

and, when it opens, click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat regarding

"Return, Cancel, or Exchange An Adobe Order".

Do you have Premiere Elements 11 and 12 presently on the same computer.

Have you optimized your computer with a run through of ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Then there are the typical questions...

a. What project preset?

b. What are the properties of what is going on that Timeline?

c. Even with your present computer environment, how much multitasking is going on?

d. Latest version of QuickTime installed?

e. Run As Admininstrator and User Account with Administrative Privileges?

f. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card?

For your consideration.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
                altselect Level 1

Hi ATR - and thanks for the comprehensive comments.  I am also running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Appreciate the advice on getting a refund for the software - I may well use that if I can't find out why things are so slow.

I will try to answer your questions below...

I bought this laptop new a couple of weeks ago, so not much opportunity for things to get too clogged up yet - having said that, one of the programs that always goes on any of my PC's is Ccleaner so that was installed right away (and has been regularly run).

I actually tried the Adobe support chat 3 times last night - but each time I was onward connected to tech support and after pleasantries, they dissapeared each time. So I gave up on that.

Yes - I have 11 and 12 on this same machine.  In fact I've been experimenting this afternoon with using each program in isolation and also together - loading snips of video and rendering / saving / exporting to DVD.  I am burning a DVD now with 11 which is the only one I have the patience for at the moment.  I'll try burning the same clip from 12 when this is done.

Then there are the typical questions...

a. What project preset?

b. What are the properties of what is going on that Timeline?

c. Even with your present computer environment, how much multitasking is going on?

d. Latest version of QuickTime installed?

e. Run As Admininstrator and User Account with Administrative Privileges?

f. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card?

a. Not sure about the project preset (am new to Elements) but I guess they are default - I did notice when I went to 'adjust' and 'Smartfix' there was a green icon in it - so I clicked reset to get rid of that - thought that might have had a bearing on the slow speeds.

b. not sure of details here either - I have basically used a USB to phono convertor to transfer a load of Video8 footage off my camera with the default settting (MPEG).  I've been capturing for about 30mins at a time and then putting 2 or 3 of the 30min sections into the timeline (but have also now played with far smaller (2 to 5 minute) sections of captured video to compare and contrast on speeds for various processes with more manageable chunks of video. Thus far I am leaving the video as is - I.e.apart from introducing a transition affect between sections, I have no narration or effects or soundtrack - just the raw MPEG video (and sound) on video1 and audio1

c. Multitasking apps / programs - I do have a few things running, but nothing serious - I will get rid of all else that's running when carrying out some more tests - good point, thanks.

d. Erm - not sure about QT - will have a look and update this evening if necessary

e. Yes - running as admin - although I possibly wasn't before... Do I have to right-click the icon to invoke this every time?  I tested after running as admin and it made no difference

f. Like QT - I will check the video card software - being a new machine I did have it do quite a few updates when I got it home (including 8 to 8.1 upgrade).

I have now captured about 30 hours of Video8 from the late 80's onto the laptop and need to move on to my next video camera, the VHS-C beast which has early footage of the kids etc.  It feels good to know I'm finally getting this stuff digitised, but I won't be able to cope with editing and burning it on DVD at the speed PrE12 is going...

Thanks again for the time in coming back to me.  I shall address the QT and video card drivers issues tonight and see how I go.

Fundamentally, I just cannot see why I have such a pronounced difference in performance between the two versions - seems very odd.

Cheers,

Tom.

• 5. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Windows is the same, except for a few new features. So, I would expect the same results from each if the project was set up correctly or the same. All that being said....let us focus on Premiere Elements 12.

1. Project preset should match the properties of your source. If you mention as your source Video8 from the late 80's. Please confirm, I am guessing that the digitalized video is PAL 720 x 576 4:3. Is that right?

a. Assuming that your source is 720 x 576 4:3, is your project preset = PAL DV Standard by the program or you? To see what is being set, see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. If the project preset is set at PAL DV Standard, then you will see included in that area (even if grayed out)

Editing Mode = DV PAL

Timebase = 25.00 frames/second

Frame Size = 720 576

Pixel Aspect Ratio = D1/DV PAL (1.0940)

If you do not see that, then you need to set the project preset manually.

b. To set the project preset yourself..

Go to File Menu/New/Project

Set the project preset to PAL DV Standard

and, before exiting that area, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Setting on This

Project" in the final dialog there. Then, in the Premiere Elements workspace, import your video.

2. I wonder about

I have basically used a USB to phono convertor to transfer a load of Video8 footage off my camera with the default settting (MPEG).  I've been capturing for about 30mins at a time and then putting 2 or 3 of the 30min sections into the timeline

Are you saying that, in the analog to digital conversion, you are ending up with MPEG2.mpg on the Premiere Elements Timeline? What is this USB to phono converter? And, how are you importing your source into Premiere Elements...Add Media/Files and Folders, Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras, or other?

Please check Premiere Elements 11 to determine what project preset is being used and to define how the media are getting to the Timeline.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why is PE12 so much slower than PE11?
                    altselect Level 1

Hi ATR - and thanks again for the updated response.  For fear of wasting your precious time (and mine! :-)) I have decided to ditch PrE12 and just go back to working with 11.  Everything just works right away with 11 and it is nice and quick and I just don't have the time to persue the problem with 12

Sorry I haven't been able to check out the settings yet - but I will certainly check and try them before moving on.

The USB to phono convertor came with 'Ulead' software (now Corel) but I got it a good few years ago and only just dug it out to get this stuff captured. I don't know who makes the kit - it calls itself 'Video-2-PC' and doesn't have any branded name on it. It is a usb 'pen' looking device - with three phonos (red white and yellow) out plus an S-video lead. It also has a convertor for SCART.  It seems to work well with Win8.1 (it has its own custom drivers) but the Ulead software is pretty old and clunky - it does the job of ripping all the tapes to mpg though.  Yes - I am importing the mpg files striaght off the hdd into Premiere via the files/folders import option.

Actually - I've presented myself with another problem... I have all these 30 or 40 minute mpg's which are fine to edit and manipulate in Premiere, but I don't necessarily want to save as a project in all cases now.  What I mean is - I want to send chunks of video to friends who featured on the tapes 25 years ago and are now all over the world - so what I thought I'd do is buy a load of USB pen drives and put the relevant mpgs on there and just send them 'raw' to allow my friends to just plug into PC or whatever and play directly - they could also import into software and edit as they see fit.  However - these chunks of video need basic editing (as mpg) and after reading about how mpg works - I don't think this is feasible.  For example, I might want 20mins of a 30min file and just save that back as another mpg file to the HDD and transfer to the usb pen.  I wonder if Premiere would allow an edit save and export as a 'raw' mpg - do you know if this is possible?

Thanks again for all the input -

Cheers,

Tom.

Message was edited by: altselect Sorry - I just found the export to computer and the mpg option - looks like I'm sorted. Thanks.