3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 3:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't add a .ts file to Premiere Elements 12

JesBo Level 1

Hi all,

it's me again. I tried to add a .ts file to Premiere Elements 12, but the program crashes every time. My system is a Macbook Pro OS X 10.9, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM.

This is what Mediainfo says about the file:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-14 um 22.28.52.png

I thought it's because of the file size. The original file is 8 GB (I recorded it with a sat-receiver). So I used the cutter to make it smaller but Premiere still crashes.

I tried another thing and used a video converter program, exported the same file also as a .ts file, and this one I can add to Prmiere without any problems. I just don't want to do this with every file because it takes the whole night to convert one single file :O

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Jessie

• 1. Re: Can't add a .ts file to Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

I thought that I replied to your thread earlier but I do not see my post.

Although I am strictly an Elements Windows user, I thought that I would offer the following until one of the Premiere Elements Mac people finds your thread.

I have had no problems importing MPEG2.ts into Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12 Windows 7 64 bit although I do not recall seeing .ts files included in the list of Premiere Elements 12 Import Supported File Formats. I cannot import a .ts file into Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8, or 9.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't add a .ts file to Premiere Elements 12
            JesBo Level 1

ATR,

thanks for answering. You're right, the .ts format is not listed as import format, but I read about it in a few forums as I searched for a program according to my requirements and that is not too expensive.

However, last night I tried a lot and I read a lot about the codecs because I assumed my problem has to do something with the audio layers. I created two test files, and I was able to import one file, but not the other. The audio layer was the only difference between these two files. So I installed the missing AC3- and A52-codec and it worked so far. Though I have to say that I don't really know if that was the issue as I found out it takes quite a time for Premiere to import these large .ts files. I always thought the program crashed, you know, a spinning mouse pointer, no reactions at all, the small window with the import progress stayed at 0 % the whole time, and when I right-clicked on the icon in the dock it said "Program is not responding".

I also found out that I can transcode the .ts files with VLC player (much faster than the other program I used before) and reduce the audio bitrate, and Premiere works much faster with the new transcoded file.

So I think I can live with this workaround

Thanks again,

Jessie

• 3. Re: Can't add a .ts file to Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Great job with your workaround to resolve you .ts import/Premiere Elements 12 Mac situation.

In the file structure, video and audio compressions are wrapped by a wrapper (container format). In this case, the container format would be represented by the file extension (.ts). Some wrappers are more suited for some compression than others.

Continued success with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR