8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2014 3:01 PM by fhxfhx

Moving Shape Vertex

fhxfhx Level 1

Hi,

shortly ago i found out how to move vertex of shapes, but i can't find back how. I'm trying to follow the solution / adobe help info , but still can't select single or multiple vertex of a shape, its always everything selected. I'm actually using a shape that i had modified this way before already.

How does this work again ?

http://files.2he.com/uploads2/2014_02_14_23_27_57.jpg

Regards,

Frank

• 1. Re: Moving Shape Vertex
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Help files, shape layers, animation...

Too many things to explain here since I don't know how you created the shape layer in your example. Is it a path or a rectangle.. Rectangle shape layers, in fact none of the shapes available in the menu will produce a path you can animate without using a keyboard shortcut when you create the shape.

• 2. Re: Moving Shape Vertex
            efwells101 Level 1

Hey Frank,

You probably found an answer already, but I think you picked the way to make a shape that keeps you from being able to edit the path points individually like you want, which is called a 'parametric shape'. You're right, that it's an easy fix.

If you right-click on the shape path in the Shape Layer and choose 'Covert to Bezier Path', you'll be able to edit the points. Also, if you alt-drag the shape in the Composition window, you'll make a bezier shape path.

What it looks like you're doing is just clicking a shape in the Toolbar, and dragging in the Composition Panel, which creates a parametric shape. You can't edit those points. Shape layers can be complicated, but they're awesome!

Hope that helps!

• 3. Re: Moving Shape Vertex

You can also hold down the Alt/Option key while dragging out a shape from the Shapes toolset to create a vector path instead of a geometric description of the shape.

• 4. Re: Moving Shape Vertex
                fhxfhx Level 1

ok great thx ! that was it.

Only when i tried out the right click to convert the parametric path to bezier path, it didn't show me this feature in the right click menu.

I tried to right click on the shape in comp preview, on the layer in timeline, on the path listing when folding open the layer.

Maybe because its already a bezier path. But how would I know ?

• 5. Re: Moving Shape Vertex

You are constxt clicking in the wrong place. See screenshot. The top is a poly star, the bottom is a polystar converted to a path.

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 9.41.55 AM.png

All of the controls from the Polystar 2 have been changed to a simple path in PolyStar1

• 6. Re: Moving Shape Vertex
                    fhxfhx Level 1

thx for the screenshot, i tried it with making a new parametric shape, but not getting the convert feature as you do :

http://files.2he.com/uploads2/2014_02_15_23_11_57.jpg

• 7. Re: Moving Shape Vertex

What version of AE?

• 8. Re: Moving Shape Vertex
                        fhxfhx Level 1

it's V11