14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 9:14 PM by LeyLey41
      • 1. Re: a blue haze or glow
        DrStrik9 Level 4

Is that something you want, or something you don't want?

• 2. Re: a blue haze or glow
          LeyLey41 Level 1

I so didn't want. It's like the sky just blew out all over areas of my photoDSC_0445.JPG

• 3. Re: a blue haze or glow
            LeyLey41 Level 1

Thank you btw for responding....

• 4. Re: a blue haze or glow
              DrStrik9 Level 4

Nice shot. I'm not a photographer, but if you want to control those over-exposed areas, you can shoot in RAW format and make some adjustments with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), or better yet, shoot 5 exposures and make a 32-bit HDR composite, which can be edited in 16-bit to eliminate such problems. You can also get Nik Software Collection's "Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2," a really nice plugin, which allows you to edit localized areas when converting to HDR.

If you're stuck with an 8-bit file, then you can also open as a smart object, and make adjustments in ACR. Do a couple of different versions (one darkened and bluish for the bright sky areas, and one for regular exposure) then put them on separate layers and mask out the over-exposed areas you don't want.

• 5. Re: a blue haze or glow
                LeyLey41 Level 1

Oh thanks so much for getting back. I really don't wanna trash these photos. Especially when I know it is something simple to fix with my software.

• 6. Re: a blue haze or glow
                  DrStrik9 Level 4

Trash? All the things I suggested are non-destructive.

Here's a very rough version of what I was talking about: The bottom layer is darkened using smart filter:ACR. The top layer has the bright areas masked out to reveal the darker one underneath. Yes, it's not perfect, but I think it proves the concept.

!-DSC_0445-Rev.jpg

You might also want to select the gray sky and replace it with some color, or another sky shot from stock or something.

• 7. Re: a blue haze or glow
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Looks badly over exposed to me.  Unfortunately, blown pixels are exactly that... blown, and there's no information there to rescue the shot.

Your screen shot is an 8bit JPG, so as limited information to respond to an edit.  That notwithstanding, I was able to improve things slightly, but you could have done a lot more with a RAW file.  If you like the shot that much, you could composite in a new sky.

BTW, as well as the over exposed top left corner, there is noticeable chromatic aberration along the right side of the tree truck.  ACR is the best tool to deal with that as well.

Forest.jpg

• 8. Re: a blue haze or glow
                      Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Another thing you can do is use an adjustment layer. Here, I used an elliptical marquee on the blown out area, and added a Levels layer to darken it, especially the blues (The selection becomes a mask). Also used the brush on the mask to add some darkening toother areas:

Trees.jpg

The Mask (quick and dirty, but you get the idea):

Trees-Mask.jpg

• 9. Re: a blue haze or glow
                        LeyLey41 Level 1

Wow...I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Obviously I am merely a noob....LOL...When you say RAW...do you mean the setting on my camera? A new sky,(via photoshop)? And the acronym ACR is for the word? I am sorry I sound like an idiot...really just more ignorant and I wish to learn more. If you have the time to respond I would appreciate it. If not, I still appreciate you taking the time to send me the above info. Namaste~

• 10. Re: a blue haze or glow
                          DrStrik9 Level 4

We're all noobs compared to someone else.  :+)  I said shoot in RAW format because if you have an SLR-level camera, this is an image format which ACR likes a lot (with better possibilities than a jpeg). On the new sky, it's tricky -- I tried one, and ended up just using a blue-to light orange gradient instead.

It takes time to learn the things of Photoshop, but it's definitely worth the trip, IMO.  :+)

The attached could be improved upon, but it shows the gradient in the sky area.

!-DSC_0445-Rev2.jpg

• 11. Re: a blue haze or glow
                            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw

RAW is an image file format. It's basically the equivalent of an old-school photographic negative. You can change settings like exposure, white balance, etc. post-shot.

What Trevor was referring to was compositing two or more different layers together to create a whole image. Layers in Photoshop are like the keys to the image-editing kingdom. Get to know them and use them as they help out greatly in this case.

Simplest example: Take two different shots, one that gives a great sky and one that gives a great foreground, then composite the best of each together using masks (as illustrated above). Can be adjustment masks, can be layer masks, can be a blend of the two.

When compositing shots, you'll probably want to use a tripod or monopod to keep things steady when taking the shots.

• 12. Re: a blue haze or glow
                              joe pau

Blue haze could be a chromatic abberation if it's on the edge. Or try moving the temperature slider to remove the blue haze too. Should be in the basic panel of LR or ACR.

• 13. Re: a blue haze or glow
                                Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

And the "Raw" file can be different names, depending on the camera maker. For example, Nikon Raw files are .NEF, Canon are .CR2, and Olympus are .ORF. Adobe Camera Raw (the program) reads these, and generates a "sidecar" file of corrections you have made, but leaves the original intact. You can go back and change your settings, but your original file remains the same.

ACR can do the same with JPEG files as well, so you can try different settings, without altering your original JPEG. Adjustment Layers in Photoshop do the same sort of thing, but with more control (and more compexity), but they don't operate on RAW files.

• 14. Re: a blue haze or glow
                                  LeyLey41 Level 1

Unfortunately as stated in the (disclaimer at the bottom of email) No attacments will load. My email is freeme1303@yahoo.com if you wish to send the photo there. And any help or suggestions are more than appreciated. I am not going to really do anything with my pics. I just wanted to see if I could actually repair it enough to save. However, I will definitely try the RAW instead...Thanks so much