13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 3:21 AM by fotonatur13

Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem

fotonatur13 Level 1

When i´m rendering out a video with still images (timelapse) i use Timewarp. I like to have Timewarp at 50%, but then i only get rendered half the images. If i have 500 images, only 250 gets rendered to the final QT-video. There must be a way to get all images in the video??

• 1. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
          efwells101 Level 1

Hey there,

There could be a couple different things that might cause this - some of them simple answers, and some maybe not so simple.

First thing I would do is to check your In and Out points on all Comps, Precomps, and in the Render Queue. For example, you could have extended "CompX", but forgot to extend the layers or other Precomps inside "CompX", and so they end before the rest of the comp does. Double check all your layers and Precomps.

Also, in the Render Settings area of the Render Queue, in the lower right, double check that your Start and End points are correct and that your total Duration is what you expected.

Of course, it could be none of those things, and you might have already checked those. I once had a similar problem with Twixtor, a similar plugin, but after I lengthened the Comp and extended the footage layer inside it, it started working properly.

Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are not thinking things through very well. If your video plays back at 30 frames per second then there are 30 frames in every second.

If you have 900 frames then you have 30 seconds.

Now take that 30 seconds and time warp the footage so that it is only half as long. It will only playback for 15 seconds. 15seconds times 30 frames is 450 frames. . .

You can turn on pixel blending and change other settings so that the new frames will be a blended version of the original frames but if you stay with the same playback rate you're only going to have 450 frames.

If you want all 900 frames to play back then you'll have to change the playback to 60 frames per second. 900 / 60 = 15

If you are rendering for playback by a computer you can usually pick any playback rate from 1 frame per second to about 60. In some cases you can go as high as 120 fps. If you are delivering content via broadcast or DVD or Blu-Ray then you only have a choice of a few frame rates. Anything you display on a television will be played back at 29.97 fps in NTSC countries and 25 fps in PAL countries. Even if you shoot and produce your entire movie at 24 or 23.976 fps, anything broadcast will be coming to you at 29.97 or 25 fps....

• 3. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
              fotonatur13 Level 1

Thank you for answering. I´m completely new to AE, so i will try your suggestion to see if it work.

• 4. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                fotonatur13 Level 1

Thanks for answering. I´m comletely new to AE, this is only my second week with it. I startet to use AE for timelapse where i want to find the best solution that gives the best quality when stretching out time for timelapsework.

https://vimeo.com/86745189

With this testvideo, i have used timestretch 300%, ccwidetime and timewarp as i think it does the best job giving the stars a natural orbit without shaking. I think the best result is when using timewarp at 50%, but then only half of the video is rendered.

Have been reading several posts on the internet about this problem, i it seem that there is no solution.

• 5. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem

The Vimeo video is very nice.

If I understand you correctly when you use time warp at 50% you are only getting half your video rendered. This is because you need to extent your composition so that the timeline is long enough for the entire video.

Ctrl/Cmnd + K or Composition>Composition Settings from the menu will bring up the panel where you change the length of the composition. Just add enough time to include all of the video.

Make sure you've goint through the AE Basics so you know where to find these things.

• 6. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                    fotonatur13 Level 1

Yes i will try to do like you suggest, but it seem like lengthen the video just dont work, but maybe i´m not doing it right. I´m watching the Lynda videos to learn the basics! Thanks!

• 7. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem

I wasn't reading your post as carefully as I should have. I seldom use Time Warp and I left out a key detail. This short tutorial I just whipped up should solve your problem. As with most "Why can't I get the plug-in to do what I think it should do?" questions, the answer is Pre-compose...

The video should be ready in about 10 minutes.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                        fotonatur13 Level 1

Thanks for the video!

I have done exactly as you explain in the video "a thousand times", but i don´t get it right. Maybe because i bring in images instead of a movie?

• 9. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem

This works with an image sequence too. You need to make sure that you move all attributes.

Another option would be to create a new composition with nothing in it. Drag the composition with the footage in it into the blank composition. Apply TimeWarp...

• 10. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                            fotonatur13 Level 1

I finally got it to work!!! Thanks again for the video!

Guess if a want to stretch time to 300% in addition to timewarp, i have to just lengthen the time i the precomp?

• 11. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Not necessary:  if you import image sequences, go to the interpret footage settings, and set the frame rate to one-third of the comp frame rate.  If you're working in a 59.94 comp, that frame rate would be 59.94/3, or 19.98fps.

• 12. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem

Dave's suggestion works for video as well as image sequences but you will not get the frame blending you get with time warp. This may or may not be an issue. It depends entirely on your footage.

• 13. Re: Rendering timelapsevideo with timewarp -problem
                                  fotonatur13 Level 1

Thank you Dave and Rick! Highly appreciate your helpfulness