3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 9:53 PM by Rick Gerard

Egg Yolk Color Change

nickflix Level 1

Hi everyone. Hope you're well. I'm looking for a way to change the color of this egg yolk. the director would like for when the yolk gets broken for it to spill out as a blue color. At the time of shooting, i didn't know this, and looking at the angle, I'm not even sure it'll be possible considering the glass position and such, so I may have to reshoot it, which shouldn't be too hard. Anyways, I'd still love to know anyone's opinion on how I should go about having the yellow yolk change to a blue color. I also shot the footage at 720/60 at a 125 shutter speed, so I'm at least able to control the speed a bit more than normal, which maybe will help.

• 1. Re: Egg Yolk Color Change
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Normally, it would be somewhat easy to use the Change To Color effect to accomplish this, but in your shot you are going to have the problem of other parts of the shot also changing color, because there is so much yellow in the surface on which the glass is sitting, etc.

If you can reshoot in such a way that the egg yolk is the only yellow in the shot, then an effect like Change To Color will do the job for you easily.

That said, go ahead and give the effect a try on your current shot, and see if keeping the Tolerance low allows you to isolate just the yellow of the egg yolk.

• 2. Re: Egg Yolk Color Change
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't see much that would be problematic. Yeah, a bit of masking and some feathering that may take half an hour, but once you have the matte you can use any effect on an adjustment layer to change the hue or colorize it...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Egg Yolk Color Change
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have Colorista this would be a snap. You can use a color as a matte in the Secondary Color Corrector. I do it all the time. Check out this video. At about 10:45 Stu will change the Yellow newspaper box to Gray.... I use this feature all the time:

edit: had some time this evening and gave it a bit of a try. Took about a minute.

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 9.50.33 PM.png