6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 7:04 AM by Szalam

Creating an opacity wipe?

Woodw23ard

Hi guys,

I'm not too sure what it would be called but you see it fairly often (although annoyingly I can't find an example!). I'm creating an introduction and need to 'wipe' over the text with another layer (which is set to a slightly lighter colour than the text). I only want it to effect the one layer. Hopefully that makes sense.

How would I go about this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Gradient Wipe? A simple opacity fade wit ha specific layer blending mode? It's really not clear what you are actually describing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
            Woodw23ard Level 1

I don't think a fade is what I'm after.

I've mocked up a rough example here - http://s16.postimg.org/xfvcl4lad/EXAMPLE.jpg

The box is a white square with the opacity set to 40% or so, I now want to translate the box over the text to give the effect shown in the image below.

• 3. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, that one... Eitehr use two layers, one with a simple linear wipe, or create an adjustment layer that eitehr is a pre-composition with the wipe or a simple white solid that you can move around in the main comp and that has any coloring/ color correction effect applied to it.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Mylenium said. There are dozens of ways to do this. Set up a mask on you text layer with the mask opacity set to 40% and lay the text over a layer where a blend mode like screen would work, animate the mask.

Create two layers of text, one lighter, apply linear wipe to the top layer.

Create two layers of text as stated above and use an animated mask or another layer of text to mask the top layer revealing the lighter layer below.

Use Set Channels . . .

Use an Adjustment layer with Hue and saturation applied and an animated mask...

There are literally hundreds of ways to do this. They all involve either a wipe or a mask and two layers of text or a layer of text that will change appearance when a blend mode is applied.

• 5. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
                  Woodw23ard Level 1

Hi Rick, thanks for the reply.

Would someone be able to explain how I can do this step by step? (Very new to AE, have it as part of my CC subscription and I'm only using it to do this one thing) I've been trying to do it via some of the methods you listed but I'm hitting problems / unable to find certain commands.

Appreciate the help.

• 6. Re: Creating an opacity wipe?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Woodw23ard wrote:

Would someone be able to explain how I can do this step by step? (Very new to AE, have it as part of my CC subscription and I'm only using it to do this one thing) I've been trying to do it via some of the methods you listed but I'm hitting problems / unable to find certain commands.

Rick was actually giving you several different ways to do it.

If you were having trouble following "Create two layers of text, one lighter, apply linear wipe to the top layer", then I would seriously recommend that you go here first. It will help you avoid a lot of frustration.