12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 5:31 PM by A.T. Romano

time mapping help needed

reed721

I have used the time mapping feature to speed up/fast-forward a segment of my video. It looks just the way that I want it to. However, after the fast-forward segment is over, the audio does not work for the normal-speed section afterwards. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: time mapping help needed
          A.T. Romano Level 7

reed721

Please review the following AdobeTV video tutorial on Premiere Elements Time Remapping to see if you can detect a step where you might be going off the process in the Time Remapping workspace.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/time-remapping-with-adobe-premiere-el ements-11/

If you do not see any obvious place for a user error, then could you post a screenshot of your Time Remapping workspace so that we can look at the setup?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: time mapping help needed
            reed721 Level 1

I think that I've done all of that.  Here's a pic of my screen. I turned the audio off for the time remapping part of my video, which made everything line up. However, there is still no audio after the fast forward effect.

video capture.JPG

• 3. Re: time mapping help needed
              reed721 Level 1

Actually, it has removed the audio from the whole video... Before AND after the fast forward effect

• 4. Re: time mapping help needed
                A.T. Romano Level 7

reed721

I am in the process of writing up a step by step suggestion for what I think you are seeking.

I should have it posted within the hour for your review. Then you can try it and/or let me know if I have interpreted what you seek correctly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: time mapping help needed
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

One of the things I point out in my Premiere Elements 12 course on http://lynda.com is that audio is not included in any Time Remapping. Time Remapping is only for the video -- and, if you change the video, it will be out of sync with the audio.

The best solution is to click the Remove Audio button in the Time Remapping workspace.

• 6. Re: time mapping help needed
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

reed721

The audio is going to need special considerations in this Time Remapping workflow. This is one way to get around certain feature limitations to cooridinate audio with the video clip to which fast motion has been applied to a portion of it.

Remember, in the fast motion area of the video clip, frames have been removed by the technique in order to apply the fast motion effect, and duration is shortened in the process. So, when you are finished in the Time Remapping workspace and returned to the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, that fast motion video is going to have a shorter duration than the original. And, your audio track will be at the original duration of the file.

1. In the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, unlink the audio from the video (to do that, right click the file on the Timeline and select Unlink Audio and Video).

2. Identify the segment of the video to which fast motion is to be applied with Time Remapping. Note the times, example, segment 00;00;24;22 to 00;00;45;07.

3. With the Scissors Tool (using tab on Timeline Indicator stem or shortcut Ctrl+K), cut the audio at 00;00;24;22 and at 00;00;45;07, giving you 3 audio segments.

4. Select the Timeline video, go to Tools Menu/Time Remapping, and open the Time Remapping workspace.

5. In the Time Remapping workspace, establish your Fast Motion Time Zone using the times of 00;00;24;22 to 00;00;45;07 for the Time Zone. Click Done when finished.

6. When you are back in the Premiere Elements Expert workpace

a. You will work on your 3 segments of audio.

b. Leave the first audio where it is. Move the second audio down from Audio 1 to Narration or Soundtrack, just to get it out of the way.

c. Take the third audio and move it to the left so that its end matches up with the end of the fast motion video clip above it.

d. Then adjust the duration of the second clip which has been out of the way on another audio track.

Two different effects can be produced here...the second audio will be placed on Audio 1 directly below the fast motion portion of the video clip AFTER its duration has been decreased while it is still in its "out of the way" location.

One way...with the mouse cursor drag the end of the audio to the left to decrease its duration to fit the gap between first and third audio. Move the duration shortened second audio up to fit the gap between the first and third audio on Audio 1.

Second way...determine the duration of the gap between the first and third audio, and use Time Stretch to decrease the duration of the second clip so that it fits the gap between the first and third audio. Move the duration shortened second audio up to fit the gap between the first and third audio on Audio 1.

Please check out the details and see if any of that works for you. I have road tested it. Please let me know if you need clarification on the details. I will provide screenshots if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: time mapping help needed
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

reed721

In checking out my suggested Time Remapping workflow customized to your description of what you wanted to do, please follow exactly as written and do not incorporate SG suggestion for

The best solution is to click the Remove Audio button in the Time Remapping workspace.

That does not apply to the workflow that I have suggested which may be the best solution for you.

Let us see what works or does not work for you in this case.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: time mapping help needed
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Reed721,

As you have two posts with the same issue, and as ATR has replied to the other one, I am reprinting his response to that thread below, and will Lock that other thread, so that all work can be done in this one, without confusion. Below is ATR's Reply #1 in that other thread:

reed721

Do you mean that you have applied a fast motion effect to your Timeline video? By what method?

When you apply fast or slow motion to a video clip that has audio linked to it, the audio will be distorted if you are using Time Stretch to create the fast or slow motion video effect. You can gain some control over the level of audio distortion by checking "Maintain Audio Pitch" in the Time Stretch dialog. But that option will get you only so far with regard to the level of audio distorsion in these cases. Please take a look at my blog post titled "Time Stretch - Fast Motion Without Degradation or Distorted Audio"

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/time-remapping-wi th-adobe-premiere-elements-11/

If you are using Time Remapping, the Time Remapping feature's workspace does not accept audio, only the video part of the file to which you apply your motion effects.

Please give more details on what you are doing, and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: time mapping help needed
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for organizing the Reed721 inquiry. My post that you moved from the other thread to this one will give Reed721 my perspective all in one place so that my approach will be more in sync and not seem to be at odds with what SG has posted in the thread that we are in now.

Much appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: time mapping help needed
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are most welcome. I would have loved to be able to just slip it in, as Reply #1, but do not know of a way to do that. While there were some other options, I thought that this method had fewer pitfalls, and just noted that it was Reply #1 in that other thread.

Good luck to Reed.

Hunt

• 11. Re: time mapping help needed
                              reed721 Level 1

Thanks everyone. I will give that a shot. I am using Premiere Elements 12, however, and the video is for Elements 11. I am thinking about just cutting the video into segments around the time that I want to use the time remapping feature. That way, the time remapping can be applied only to the segment that I choose without removing the video from the other segments because they will be separated.

• 12. Re: time mapping help needed
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

reed721

Based on your latest post, Time Stretch may be a viable technique for what you want to do, a "ramped motion technique".

FYI notes...you cannot edit a Premiere Elements 12 project (project.prel) file in an earlier version of Premiere Elements (in your case version 11).

If your Premiere Elements 12 Timeline is destined for Premiere Elements 11, you will need to export that version 12 Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then import that file from there into Premiere Elements 11 wherever it might be.

You could also try a copy/paste insert between the two projects.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

But let us not get to far ahead until we work out what works and does not work for you with regard to selective fast motion effects in your video and any linked audio in the file.

Thanks.

ATR