9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:48 AM by wajdi.j

HD configuration for new system

wajdi.j

Hey guys,

I'm planning to build a new workstation and just wanted to have some ideas regarding the HD configuration.

Working  with cs6 PR AE PS LR + few 3d party plugins mostly on canon 5D mk 3 footage

editing, grading, keying + some 3d stuff

what i have as a setup no assembled at the moment :

i7 4930k

Mb: Asrock x79 extreme 11   http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme11/

Ram : Corsair vengeance pro series 32 gb 4x8  2133mhz

VGA gigabyte nvidia 780ti

Power supp: 

Cooling system; Corsair Hydro Series H100i

case 

and 1 kingston HyperX  3K 240 gb SSD

other hd configurations!!! still waiting your ansewer

in my area i have Seagate Desktop SSHD and barracuda  HD and few ssd

after few weeks reading everything about hd in adobe forum, i am still confused what to use as a raid or individual hds and what can change hd speed  for ex the "Hibernate"...

also my mb is equiped with a raid controller and i dnt have any idea about it.

please i need some help form pro guys

Thx alot

• 2. Re: HD configuration for new system
          wajdi.j Level 1

yes of course and the .mov thing makes me more stressed hhh. thats mean i am using 64bit system for nothing

• 3. Re: HD configuration for new system
            wajdi.j Level 1

does anyone has the MB Asrock x79 extreme 11

how is the raid controller with it?

• 4. Re: HD configuration for new system
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I do not have it but it is a very capable controller.  Not quite an Areca but very capable. 

It is LSI SAS 2308 is a PCI Express 3.0, 8-port 6Gb/s SAS and SATA I/O controller.  It offers RAID 0, 1, 1E, and 10.  Since it does not offer RAID 5 or 3 You have to make a decision of one of the support options. 

RAID 0 is what Harm has called AID 0, it has no redundancy.  If you are good at what essentially amounts to daily or more frequently backups you can use this mode to achieve high speed disk activity at minimal cost.   I, on my main editing computer (as really an advanced hobbyist) do use RAID 0.

If you want Redundancy, you have to choose one of the other forms of RAID.  This board has 8-SATA3  ports on the LSI chip and 2 additional SATA3 ports from the Intel chipset.   First you have to decide on:  

1. How many disks/SSDs you can afford.
              2. What performance you need.
              3. How much online storage you really need. 

I strongly suggest you read Harm's excellent article on his Tweakers Page on RAID, and his article on Disk Setup as suggested earlier.

• 5. Re: HD configuration for new system
                wajdi.j Level 1

thx for your reply.

to be honest With you, i am moving from an old configuration i7 920 , VGA n450 and hdd without raid few internal others external usb2. So everything is new for me.

regarding .mov files codec limitation, I think there is no pb between PR cs6 and canon 5d mk III files.

And for my hdd setup

I will use my ssd hyperX for os and page files

1 more ssd Kingston v 300 for windows temp

1 HHd for pics and small video sources

2x 2tb raid 0 as export

4x 2tb raid 10 for project, media footage, renders preview, media cash.

what do u think?

thx

• 6. Re: HD configuration for new system
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Just keep in mind Desktop drives dont have the timeout recovery feature of enterprise drives when using a raid 10. That means you can have drives prematurely drop out of the raid if they take to long to recover a bad sector or area. Raid 10 shows this issue far less than a parity raid but it's still there.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: HD configuration for new system
                    wajdi.j Level 1

So better i go for raid 5 using 4 or more hdd 2gb or 3 gb for project, media footage, renders preview, media cash.... with Intel Rapid Storage 3.0

Storage Devices

SATA 3Gb/s
                    SATA 6Gb/s
                    2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel X79
                    8 x SAS2/SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by LSI SAS2308 PCIe 3.0 controller
                    SATA RAID
                    2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel X79, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and Intel Rapid Storage 3.0)
                    8 x SAS2/SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by LSI SAS2308 PCIe 3.0 controller, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 1E and RAID 10)
                    4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and Intel Rapid Storage 3.0)

and for the export i will use raid 0 by LSI SAS2308 PCIe 3.0 controller

-The best hhd i can get over here after looking at benchmarks is the Seagate Barracuda 1.4

- Areca controller is not available here

-The case has HDD number limit i think

External 5.25" x 3

Internal 3.5" /2.5": 6

Internal 2.5": 1 + 6

i am based in morocco right now and its not easy to find everything i need.

So if you were in my place what would you do as a setup with this config?

i can get 1 more SSD as i said before and 6 or more HDD for raids

Wajdi

Thx

• 8. Re: HD configuration for new system
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you go Raid 5 then you definitely want Enterprise drives and a real raid controller. The onboard Intel is not good for Raid 5.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: HD configuration for new system
                        wajdi.j Level 1

Huge thanks to everyone who has spent his time answering my questions. your answers are very helpful.

first time i know that raid 5 needs enterprise drives and even in the following 2 links and few other forums i didn't see this information "or maybe i didnt pay attention"

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup/95-disk-setup

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/85-raid-or-not-to-raid/96-rai d-or-not-to-raid

as I said before, my work is based on canon 5d mk III footage for music video and few youtube promo for musicians and singers (i am a bass guitar player as a second job)

my main workflow is based on editing, coloring, keying + 3d object inserted in after effect

and because i cant use raid until i get the Areca controller and dedicated HDD i will go to this following disc setup

I will use my ssd hyperX for os and page files

1 more ssd Kingston v 300 for windows temp ( i need to make a search for how to move this folder to new drive, during of after OS and application installation)

1 HHd for pics, small video sources and  3d objects maybe

2 tb hdd for project, media footage,

2 tb hdd renders preview, media cash.

2x 2tb raid 0 as export + external e-sata or usb3 hdd for backup  every time

is this fine for my needs?

i am still confused with page files and windows temp

Thank you again

Wajdi