5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2006 12:35 PM by pwp69

Launch Failed when running app.

pwp69 Level 1
      Hi, I am very new to Flex 2.

I have the SessionTracker sample app and another one I am developing. Using the Flex 2 Builder I run SessionTracker. I then close the SessionTracker project, open my test project and attempt to run it. It fails with this message:

'Project "SessionTracker' does not exist or is closed. If the project is closed, open it to continue.'

I have reviewed all of the project's properties and don't see where SessionTracker is referenced.

How to I get Flex to run my test project and not the previously opened project?

thx pwp
        • 1. Re: Launch Failed when running app.
          inlineblue Level 1
          I've never seen it do that. What are the exact steps you're doing to get this behaviour?
          • 2. Re: Launch Failed when running app.
            pwp69 Level 1
            I don't think I am doing anything unusual...

I downloaded another sample app. into a folder. I create a basic Flex Project for it in FB2. It compiles and runs.
            I close this app and open another project. I open the project's main mxml file and click the run btn. An alert pops up telling me the previous project does not exist or is closed.

Does Flex Builder 2 retain project settings somewhere that need to be updated?
            • 3. Re: Launch Failed when running app.
              pwp69 Level 1
              More testing... I discovered there are two ways of 'run'ning an app.

The first is to use the 'run' icon on the top bar. I get the error message when using this button.

The second way is to left click on the project name => run as => run. This invokes the 'Create, manage, and run configurations' window. I created a Flex Application for each of my project. Clicking 'Run' things seem to work as expected.

How do I get the 'run' icon on the topbar to invoke the 'Create, manage, and run configurations' window? Or is it the case I should set the active flex application once using 2 then use 1 from then on?

pwp
              • 4. Re: Launch Failed when running app.
                Level 7
                Sounds like you are using the Eclipse Plugin-based version of Flex Builder,
                rather than the standalone version.

In the plugin version, we inherit the standard Eclipse behavior for the Run
                and Debug buttons, which is that they re-launch the most recently launched
                configuration.

We didn't really agree with that design, so in the standalone version, the Run
                and Debug buttons mean to launch the currently selected application.

In the plugin version, the workaround is to do Run > Run As > Flex Application
                or Debug > Debug As > Flex Application. Those commands will launch the
                currently selected application. (They look for an existing "launch
                configuration," and use it if they can find it; if they can't find one, then
                they create a new one.)

Both of those commands have keyboard shortcuts, as you can see on the menus:
                Run > Run As > Flex Application is (Alt-Shift-X, F); Debug > Debug As > Flex
                Application is (Alt-Shift-D, F). You can change those key bindings if you
                want, via Window > Preferences, General, Keys.

--
                Mike Morearty
                Developer, Flex Builder team
                http://www.morearty.com/blog
                • 5. Re: Launch Failed when running app.
                  pwp69 Level 1
                  Yes. I am using the Eclipse Pluggin version. You answer explains it very well.

Thank you.

pwp