6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2014 11:48 AM by gator soup

may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?

Giovannivolontè Level 1

hi

in photoshop cs6 64bit under windows 7 sp1 64bit i got

gray Dot gain 15%

spot  Dot gain 15%

i did a clean install of photoshop cs6 , i guess they are the dafault

may i know if they are the right settings ? i print with my printer and in a lab with an epson printer

http://i.imgur.com/x7OwG7v.png

thanks

• 1. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
          gator soup Level 4

your RGB/CMYK/GRAY Working Spaces depend on your preferences (i use different profiles)

i recommend the Color Management Policies you set

i will be interested in reading what others say about sending Gray Dot Gain to an Epson

if their might be a more preferred Source profile, work flow

is Gray what you are working in, or are you Converting to Gray for the Epson?

what Source space/profile does your lab recommend?

• 2. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
            Giovannivolontè Level 1

is Gray what you are working in, or are you Converting to Gray for the Epson?

i work always in adobe rgb colors and i convert to black and white only when i save to jpg

what Source space/profile does your lab recommend?

they told me adobe rgb

• 3. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The dot gain settings are for conversion from color (ideally RGB). You send RGB data to the Epson so this is all kind of moot. Ask the lab but I'd be shocked if they asked you for a grayscale document, assuming this Epson is for output of photographic images.

Dot gain would account for whatever dot gain you're aiming for on the press, so you'd have to ask.

Gamma would be used for output to an emissive display, so something like 2.2 to mimic sRGB behavior might be one option.

Again, neither should have anything to do with output to an Epson ink jet. That is an RGB print path (initially) and you'll need to send something in an RGB working space or the output space if the lab provides such an ICC profile. They might offer a proprietary print path from Epson called Advanced Black & White which works quite well and can produce very neutral appearing output (lighting notwithstanding), see if the lab offer's this option.

• 4. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
                Giovannivolontè Level 1

Ask the lab but I'd be shocked if they asked you for a grayscale document, assuming this Epson is for output of photographic images

they work with psd files and jpg

(but the when i save a photo edited with for example an adjustament layer(black&white) photoshop convert it in a grayscale image ,isn't it?

but photoshop should warns about mismatch profile ,should it? or does it work only with color space

Dot gain would account for whatever dot gain you're aiming for on the press, so you'd have to ask.

Gamma would be used for output to an emissive display, so something like 2.2 to mimic sRGB behavior might be one option

. but may i ask a question?

because i guess i'm confused now

Gray and Spot settings are related only to convert from rgb to mode grayscale

or these settings influence what i see in the monitor when for example i add a black and white adjustament layer?

by the way gray and spot set both at dot gain 20% , are the dafault?

thanks

• 5. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dot gain refers to offset printing, where halftone dots increase in size because ink is spreading when it hits the paper. It depends on paper stock, and is accounted for in a CMYK profile. So you could look at dot gain as the grayscale equivalent of CMYK.

(Incidentally, if you want true grayscale on press - only the black plate - you can set gray working space to "Black Ink - <CMYK profile>". You do this in the gray working space pulldown, "Load Gray", and just pick the CMYK profile).

An inkjet printer expects RGB data. So even if you submit a grayscale image, it will probably be converted to RGB somewhere. In that case it seems better to use Gamma 2.2.

If you just have a B & W adjustment layer, you have an RGB file (just with R=G=B) and that's the setting that applies. Gray working space or dot gain doesn't apply and it has no bearing on what you see on screen or how it will print.

However, and here's an important point: If you display a single channel in an RGB image (click on a single channel in the Channels panel) - that will be displayed according to your chosen gray working space. In effect, your working gray will be assigned to it.

• 6. Re: may i know the right photoshop cs6 color settings to print black and white?
                    gator soup Level 4

it reads like they are recommending sending RGB to your Epson printer (the Adobe RGB the printer told you, if you are sure they will use that source profile) it is their responsibilty to use your source profile and Convert to their print space

and that Gray Dot Gain is for offset press printing