4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2014 2:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements Organizer video rotation

Mark2801

Hello,

some of my videos are aligned in the wrong direction. But if I open them with quicktime I do not need to rotate them - quicktime shows them correct.

So how do I change this in Elements Organizer. Or is there a way to use quicktime to play the videos?

• 1. Re: Elements Organizer video rotation
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark2801

How are these videos presenting in the Elements Organizer - landscape orientation when shot portrait or portrait orientation when shot landscape?

What version of Premiere Elements and Elements Organizer are you working with and on what computer operating system is the program running on?

Elements Organizer thumbnails are just that and these thumbnails trace back to originals saved to a computer hard drive location. What is orientation of the video as seen on the computer at the video hard drive save location?

Are these videos recorded with a cell phone? If so, how have you held the cell phone during the camera's video recording?

If you were to import these same videos directly into the Premiere Elements workspace, how do they present orientation-wise?

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements Organizer video rotation
            Mark2801 Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12. Elements Organizer shows version 12.0 (20130925.r.43436). Its all installed on Win7, 64bit.

The videos are shot in portrait mode, but thumbnail and playback are shown in landscape mode. The "wrong" thumbnail doesn't bother me, but the wrong playback is unpleasant.

If I play the exact same video (same file, same location on hard drive) with Quicktime, the orientation is correct.

I can't import the videos again, since I deleted them a while ago from the phone.

Maybe there are still some ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Markus

• 3. Re: Elements Organizer video rotation
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Markus

There is a rotation feature in Premiere Elements 12

a. Highlight video on Expert Timeline

b. Go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Rotation feature there.

c. Can you use that to get the view and orientation that is needed?

Have you been there and tried that.

I will do some cell phone portrait oriented video footage later to day for a road test and let you know the results.

Please advise on your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements Organizer video rotation
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Markus

Mission accomplished.

Shot some video with camera positioned in portrait orientation. On the computer hard drive save location (Windows), video thumbnail was landscape with the portrait video moving from bottom to top rather than left to right.

In the Premiere Elements 12 workspace, the Rotation feature could be used to change the orientation of the video playback from left to right, but there were black borders to the left and right of the image.

The black borders could be corrected for by scaling the image in the monitor and positioning the scaled image to give the desired views. Looked great.

Let me know if any of this works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful