18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 3:07 PM by txDaisy

indesign gradients not showing up on internet

txDaisy

I designed a document completely in indesign. Created gradients in indesign. Exported it to interactive pdf. File is rgb. Looks great in pdf. When I upload it to my website and it opens from there, the gradient screens go solid. Any advice as to how to maintain the gradients on my website?

• 1. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a link?

• 2. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What kind of gradient is it? Is it a gradient from one color to another color or from opacity to transparency?

In which browser are you viewing your PDF? Only Acrobat or Reader are able to view all flairs of PDF in complete accruacy, all others are only supporting partially common PDF standards.

Did you install the Acrobat/Reader Plug in for your browser?

Did you test it in Acrobat and Reader?

• 4. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
              txDaisy Level 1

Gradient is white to yellow. See link. I am viewing it in Chrome. My concern, is that I would want it to be readable from any browser, right?

• 5. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@txDaisy – If you want to show the gradients in every PDF Reader app I suggest you flatten the whole page on PDF export (choosing 1.3 as PDF version); transparency blend space set to RGB, RGB set to sRGB.

Furthermore, if you want to decrease file size, you could print the page to PostScript and use Acrobat Distiller to generate a sRGB PDF file.

I did this for you and the final file size shrank from 655 kb to 229 kb.

You can download the whole stuff from my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va8oohuia8qw8sp/SRDinfographic.zip

This is a zip archive with all working files.

The PDF to upload to your website is:

SRDinfographic_CS5.5.indd.pdf

Whole stuff:

SRDinfographic.zip

SRDinfographic_CS5.5.indd.pdf

SRDinfographic_CS5.5.indd.ps

SRDinfographic_CS5.5.indd

SRDinfographic_VIEW-CHANGED.pdf

The PDF "SRDinfographic_VIEW-CHANGED.pdf" is the one I placed in InDesign. Unchecked the view "Presentation Mode" in Acrobat Pro. In web browsers with web PDF viewers you cannot control how the user is viewing your PDF.

Did some tests with different browsers and their PDF viewers to make sure your gradients are viewed as expected: Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome…

Uwe

• 6. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

txDaisy schrieb:

Gradient is white to yellow. See link. I am viewing it in Chrome. My concern, is that I would want it to be readable from any browser, right?

Sorry, that is not completely true. I have looked into your file. It s not a gradient from yellow to white, it is a gradient of a yellow area from higher opacity to lower opacity. It is a transparency modell which is not supported from Chrom nor from Apple Preview.

As I said before, only Acrobat/Reader will show this PDF in a correct way. No other chance.

• 7. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                    txDaisy Level 1

Thank you for looking into it and clarifying. I appreciate the help.

• 8. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                      txDaisy Level 1

Unbelievable that you would do this for me. I upload file to website, and it's the way it should be. I realize I want to add one more element. I will go into your file, add the element and see if I can retrace your steps. 

Thank you soooo much!

Blessings!

• 9. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                        txDaisy Level 1

Laubender--I went in with my correx and tried "I suggest you flatten the whole page on PDF export (choosing 1.3 as PDF version); transparency blend space set to RGB, RGB set to sRGB."

I didn't see this option in the export to pdf--I save as interactive pdf. Are these options in another area?

Thank you

txDaisy

• 10. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Interactive PDF will be RGB.

• 11. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

Ineractive PDF will never flatten transparency, and is RGB.

Only PDFs to Export for print and with PDF1.3 or older will flatten transparency. All other remain PDF with live transparency.

• 12. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

@txDaisy – finally I tried my own suggestion using "Export for Print"  to PDF where all colors are changed to sRGB.

And I must say: I failed.

At least a bit.

Don't know, if this is a bug in my InDesign CS5.5.

In Acrobat Pro all is looking good. Wheras is the PDF viewer of the browser (in this case Firefox), one of your gradients do not show right. Instead in color a flat gray is showing.

First the "good" example generated with Acrobat Distiller a couple of hours ago:

1. As shown in Acrobat Pro 9:

DistilledPDF.png

2. As shown in the PDF viewer of Firefox 27.0.1

DistilledPDF_InWebBrowser.png

Then the PDF exported from InDesign CS5.5 using "Export To Print":

3. As viewed in Acrobat Pro 9 all looks well (same as in the screen image above):

ExportedPDF_InAcrobatPro9.png

4. The same PDF uploaded to a web space and viewed in Firefox 27.0.1:
                              (Ugh!)

ExportedPDF_InWebBrowser.png

So in this case distilling a PostScript file seems the better idea…

I still have to find out what's the difference and inspect the specific objects in Acrobat Pro through the "Object Inspector".

Here the facts "Object Inspector" is showing on the word "résumé":

Distilled PDF:

Filled Path: Axial Shading

ICCBasedRGB, sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Overprint=false OPM=1 ri=Perceptual

Exported PDF:

Font: Allura-Regular Size:120.00 Type:OpenType CFF

Overprint=false OPM=1 ri=Relative Colorimetric

So, the PDF viewer could have problems showing either a rendering intent, that is "Relative Colorimetric" OR the font that is of type OpenType CFF.

Obviously I have to dig deeper…

Stay tuned…

Uwe

• 13. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                                txDaisy Level 1

One other thing is that the hyperlinks are not working when uploaded to my website.

I am going to put up my new file with the addition of a linked graphic. It doesn't work on the web, but more importantly the hyperlinks work.

txDaisy

• 14. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

Now I did a little experiment and Exported To Print with all text information converted to path elements.

This time the "Object Inspector" says the same as in the distilled version:

Overprint=false OPM=1 ri=Perceptual

And the PDF viewer in Firefox is showing the gradient as expected:

FlattenTextToPath_InWebBrowser.png

Downside: the size of the exported PDF is about 2.2 MByte due to the outlined text path information.

In my first run with Distiller, the word "résumé" obviously couldn't be rendered to PDF with intact font information. Distiller changed the "word" to path information.

Why the Export to Print routine in InDesign CS5.5 has chosen a rendering intent of "Relative Colorimetric" instead of "Perceptual" I do not know. My color management policies in InDesign are set to: Module: Adobe (ACE), Priority: Perceptual.

Ok, I can imagine why in the one export  the rendering intent (RI) turns out "Relative Colorimetric" and the other time it turns out "Perceptual": if you chose to flatten the PDF and convert text to path a color conversion is taking place where the RI of the color management policies is kicking in. But I'm not sure about that.

Next step: changing the RI in Acrobat Pro from "Relative Colorimetric" to "Perceptual" leaving the text intact…

Hm. Couldn't find a single fix-up for this specific task in Acrobat Pro 9.

So: that leaves me with the Distiller route…

Uwe

• 15. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

txDaisy wrote:

One other thing is that the hyperlinks are not working when uploaded to my website.

I am going to put up my new file with the addition of a linked graphic. It doesn't work on the web, but more importantly the hyperlinks work.

txDaisy

Hyperlinks and other activity works only without flattening of transparence, only with EXPORT to PDF Interactive.

• 16. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

txDaisy wrote:

@txDaisy – that's the way it is when using the "Export To Print" method. Functional hyperlinks will not survive.

To make a PDF for "any" PDF viewer in the browser you need two components and "sandwich" the two components in Acrobat Pro.

1. A distilled PDF without the Hyperlinks in sRGB
                                      2. A exported PDF using Export To Web with functional Hyperlinks

Then open the PDF of 2. in Acrobat Pro and replace the page with the page of the PDF in 1.
                                      Save with a new file name and upload that to your web space.

Uwe

• 17. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet

Even with the "sandwich" method, it is not clear if every PDF viewer of a given web browser is able to interpret the Hyperlinks as expected (linking to another web page, or to a different PDF etc.pp.).

But at least if you download the "sandwiched" PDF to a computer that has Adobe Reader installed, the hyperlinks will work as expected when viewing the PDF with Adobe Reader. That's for sure…

@txDaisy – so I suggest the following:

Do your final corrections on your original artwork in InDesign.

1. Make sure your color management policies in InDesign say: sRGB, Module: Adobe (ACE), Priority: Perceptual.

2. Export a PDF one time for Print => SRDinfographic-PRINT.pdf with PDF Version 1.3.

3. Export a PDF one time for Web => SRDinfographic-WEB.pdf

Upload both files to Dropbox or your web space, that I can download them.

Here my offer for you:

I'll try my best to "sandwich" them together to get the best out of both worlds: "web" and "print".

Uwe

• 18. Re: indesign gradients not showing up on internet
                                          txDaisy Level 1

Uwe--

thank you! I can't get to it right now. Buried. I well get back to it soon and let you know.

Thank you very much!

txDaisy