6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Can't us photoshop after installing ssd

wgdunbar

I installed a ssd in my computer and installed windows on it.  I have Photoshop 11 on my old hard drive.  Now I cannot use it.  I purchased it online but do not have the key for it.  It doesnt show up on the site as a purchased product.  I may have set up a different account at the time but do not have a record of that or the login.

• 1. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd say you really need to call Adobe and see if you can work with someone who can help you (e.g., by using your old eMail address, date of purchase, etc.) to determine your credentials for your past purchase.  Search your memory, and jot down as much information in order as you can remember before calling them.

This probably goes without saying, but it's kind of important that you keep track of your valuables - your purchase details, serial number, Adobe ID are all valuables.  If you've lost all connection with your purchase, and you can't get the information back through a database search facilitated by Adobe, unfortunately you may be out of luck.  It's not fundamentally different than leaving a stack of $100 bills out on your porch rail and having them blow away.  No one is likely to give you more of them just because you couldn't keep track of them.

I sincerely hope you reach someone at Adobe who will help you, and that you get your serial number back again.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
            Curt Y Level 7

Should post in Elements forum rather than Photoshop. 

You probably need to reinstall as moving programs will not work. 

Did you register it?

• 3. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

But no problem if you copy a drive image across to the new drive and change the boot order? 

• 4. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
                Curt Y Level 7

Trevor Dennis wrote:

But no problem if you copy a drive image across to the new drive and change the boot order? 

That is above my pay grade.  Last I checked it was $ 0.00

• 5. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

With any system change I would expect that Photoshop might detect that something in the execution environment changed and require reactivation.  That's the nature of the beast.  For example, the activation process I use for my own products looks at a number of different things in the computer system to determine if the software is running on the same system it was activated on.  There is some allowance for changing things (e.g., because people occasionally upgrade their computers), but swapping to an entirely different disk will cause a need for reactivation.

All that said, please read the original post carefully.  I believe this is a not a discussion of activation at all, but a case where wgdunbar appears to want to install a fresh copy on a new disk, and just doesn't have the serial number, nor the Adobe ID he/she used to originally buy the software.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Can't us photoshop after installing ssd
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

wgdunbar,

Welcome to the forum.

My first question is whether you are using (or attempting to use) "Photoshop 11," also known as CS 4, or Photoshop Elements 11. They are different programs, and have slightly different methods of Activation. Those differences can be very important, hence my question.

If this IS Ps Elements 11, then we can easily Move your post to that very helpful and active forum, where folk will know exactly which processes you need to go through, for product Activation.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt