6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 4:32 PM by A.T. Romano

removing head switch noise from VHS video

joeK

Hi experts,

I have imported a video from a vhs videorecorder - and now I want to remove the head switch noise by shifting the entire video 8 lines down and insert 8 lines black at the top and bottom.

How do I do this with Premiere Elements 11?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 1. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

joeK

Are you referring to

http://preservation.bavc.org/artifactatlas/index.php/Head_Switching_Noise

Have you tried just clicking on the screen and using the handles on the bounding box of the image to scale it up a bit?

ATR

• 2. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
            joeK Level 1

Hello ATR,

thanks for your fast answer - I have exactly the problem which is

described in the link you mailed.

I have tried your suggested solution already - but unfortunatly the

video quality is affected rather badly when I use the bounding box to

zoom the video a little bit. Thats why I would like to do it without

rescaling the entire video.

I found the recommendation to do it in multiples of 8 lines in the

internet - it was said that it will be best for the compression

algorithm. Recommendation was: shift the entire video 8 lines down and

add 8 lines "black" at the top and at the bottom.

So how can this be done with Premiere Elements?

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Joern

Am 16.02.2014 21:16, schrieb A.T. Romano:

>

Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in

/Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6126425#6126425

• 3. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

JoeK,

If you can live with black bars, you can use the Effect>Crop, and only Crop those few lines of pixels on the bottom of the Frame.

Another similar method would be to use the Fixed Effect>Position, to move the Video Frame down, effectively cropping the bottom, leaving a black bar at the top.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

joeK

I think that the scale up  ever so little (with Constrain Proportions Off) would have been the best, but if your image has problems with that (and as Hunt says can live with black bars), then

Approach 1 - On Screen Image Moved Down

The just moving the screen image down far enough to hide the switch head noise at the bottom of the frame. To do that:

a. Click on the image on screen, and use the mouse cursor to drag the image downward far enough to hide the switch head noise bar.

or

b. Highlight/select the Timeline clip, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, and increase the second value for Position to move the image downward on the screen.

The black at the top of the image that you generate in this process is not the color black but rather the program using black to represent transparency.

Before Position second value = 238.8 in this example

Before.JPG

After Position second value = 250.8 in this example

After.JPG

Approach 2 - Cropping out Noise

Go to xf Effects/Transform/Crop and drag the Crop Effect into the video on the Expert workspace Timeline. Then adjust the Left, Top, Right sliders so that the image is not cropped at any of those edges. Move the Bottom slider from 0 upward to replace the switch head noise with transparency/black border at bottom.

Crop.JPG

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Any questions or if clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
                  joeK Level 1

... just brillant - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Just one tiny question remains: When I apply the Effects/Transform/Crop

the shown cropped area is not quite equal to the cropped area in the

rendered final video. In the rendered video the cropped black bar is

much bigger. Is there a way to switch the crop-effect-sliders unit from

% to pixel ? (would be perfect - than I could enter exactly the number

of lines I want to crop)

Am 17.02.2014 19:45, schrieb A.T. Romano:

>

Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in

/Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6129282#6129282

• 6. Re: removing head switch noise from VHS video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

joeK

Check out the Premiere Elements Effects Reference for its description of Transform Clip versus Transform Crop.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html#WS44DE71A2-B004-4103-BD28-54BB1BB42A27

Excerpts

Clip (Windows only)

The Clip effect trims rows of pixels off the edges of a clip and replaces the trimmed areas with a specified background color. If you want Adobe Premiere Elements to automatically resize the trimmed clip to its original dimensions, use the Crop effect instead of the Clip effect

Crop

The Crop effect trims rows of pixels from the edges of a clip and, if you select the Zoom option, automatically resizes the trimmed clip to its original dimensions. Use the slider controls to crop each edge of the clip separately. You can crop by pixels or clip percentage.

So, that "You can crop in pixels or clip percentage" sounds good. But.... I cannot find a way to do that in Premiere Elements 11 or 12. See this thread here that came to the same end. SG advised the "math approach" as a workaround.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1136431

I am going to check versions of Premiere Elements 10, 9, 8, 7, and 4 to see if Crop ever did offer "by pixels or clip percentage".

More later.

ATR