4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 3:52 PM by priitonet

TIF compression 3x bigger than before

priitonet

I have a large car print file and as I don´t have the distiller I just make a raw big file and save it as transparent TIF (it has some gradient background, that´s why).

So the problem is: when I first saved the TIF from 320Mb PSD, I got a 40Mb transparent LZW TIF - very good. Uploaded the file to ftp and client was happy.

Then the print company figured that they need the background file without logos - had to make new files. I removed the logos and made the PSD file even smaller. Saved the needed area again and got around 100Mb TIF file. Everything is same: 8-bit, around 15000x6000px file size, transparency, LZW compression.

And when I save directly from the very first PSD which gave me 40Mb result, I get 130Mb file now!! How is this possible? I had sort of malware threat/possibility between these two periods (when I made the first file and when client needed updated version) so can it be that my PS got somehow infected?

I need smaller files to upload to ftp and 100Mb is way too much.

Added the comparison picture to illustrate my problem.

And I am using CS3.

Any help?

Problem.jpg

• 1. Re: TIF compression 3x bigger than before
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Have you checked whether the pixel dimensions are indeed identical?

Can you provide the files for testing?

• 2. Re: TIF compression 3x bigger than before
            priitonet Level 1

"Square" dimensions for both files.

Only difference is, that the blue ornamentation which can be seen on the example picture, I had to make again from the scratch (or to be specific the coloring effect- Overlay and some other effects). I changed the color space as well to CMYK. And then again back to RGB because the very 1st file was in RGB without any chosen profile.

It is just so weird. Every time when I try to save the same part I get around 98Mb filesize (PSD is 150Mb in this case).

I only opened 2 foreign files during the period between 1st and 2nd file. One was EPS/AI and other was some sort of vector. Maybe those infected my Adobe software? After that I re-installed the whole CS3 as well Windows.

I really need some help because my client is waiting and it´s been almost 4 months now, since I promised to upload new files.

• 3. Re: TIF compression 3x bigger than before
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

One was EPS/AI and other was some sort of vector. Maybe those infected my Adobe software?

I see no basis for that suspucion.

With image dimensions I did not mean the pixel aspect ratio but the numbers of pixels in either direction.

Is the content grainy/noisy?

Can you provide the images (the 40MB tif, the psd, the larger tif)?

• 4. Re: TIF compression 3x bigger than before
                priitonet Level 1

Well, dimensions for the newer file are even smaller. And this makes it even more weird...

Content should be with same quality but as I wrote, I made the similar result with different effects.

I can provide you with the 40Mb TIF if this helps. But how can I upload this, send it to?

I really need help with this because Adobe helping section does not support help for older versions than CS6 and CC... how wonderful.