6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 2:41 PM by A.T. Romano

After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working

Captain Karloff

I bought a Dell desktop in 2012 and it came with Premiere Elements 9 installed.  Apart from some freezing and shutting down problems, the program has worked fine.  Just recently, however, the program stopped working.  I can get to the home screen, but when I try to open a new or existing file the program goes nowhere, almost as if it has gone into some kind of loop and it can't complete the opening of the project.

I have reinstalled twice but that hasn't fixed the problem.  I am running Windows 7 with 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1.  The system is x64 with 8gb RAM, and I currently have over 100 gb hard drive space free.  I feel like I've done all the basic fixes that a computer novice can do, but I'm not getting anywhere.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You MAY be having a problem with your graphics driver being "outdated" by a Win update

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Display driver & Baddriver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1370916?tstart=0 may help

Also, are you running that older program in WinXP compatibility mode?

• 2. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Captain Karloff

The troubleshooting basics for this might include:

1. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card. (I am assuming you have just one card, not two. If otherwise, please let us know.)

2. Latest version of QuickTime.

3. Program running as Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges

If your video card/graphics card driver is up to date, then try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Once you open the program again, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the program is gone. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path cited.

Have you tried to delete the Premiere Elements Settings File

Local Disk C

Users

Ower

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path cited above.

Have you gone through the processes of getting rid of pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files. See Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, Media Cache Files Folder. Also, hit the Clean Button in the Media Cache Database area accessed from Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update version of Premiere Elements 9?

Please review and then let us know if any of the above had any impact on your issue.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...A ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner) may be indicated by itself or as part of

Deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Add On...What antivirus program are you running? McAfee, by any chance?

• 3. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Captain Karloff

I did not see John's post until after I had posted mine.

Please note that my reply is specific in detail and otherwise to Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, the version mentioned in your thread question - including Settings File Location as well as BadDrivers.txt file location.

ATR

• 4. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
                Captain Karloff Level 1

Gentlemen, I thank you both!  I tried everything that you listed, and somewhere along the line some combination of factors took care of the problem.  I'm not sure which.  I am back up and running (with newer drivers) and I appreciate your input!

• 5. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Captain,

That is always good news - things are working!

Sometimes, one might never find out what caused the problem, or what fixed the problem.

Happy editing, and also for reporting your success.

Hunt

• 6. Re: After 2 years Premiere Elements 9 not working
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Captain Karloff

Always good to learn of "..back up and running". Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

But, if the problem returns (hope not), we are going to need to dig deeper into the whys for problems/solution.

Continued success.

Best wishes.

ATR