6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 11:25 AM by Todd_Kopriva

3D Stereoscopic

Sebastian676 Level 1

Hi! My name is Sebastian and i'm working on a 3D stereoscopic video, but really we're still starting so i need to figure things out...

We will use some 3D renders/videos (with Alpha channel) from Blender, and then we will add them on a composition with maybe 2D backgrounds as static renders, or videos.

But my question is, whats the name of the 3D stereoscopic plugin for After Effects? (I know that the plugin exist thanks to this: http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/stereoscopic-3d-effects.html)

Will we have to buy it apart from the Adobe Suit license? And what is better, creating the effect in Blender or in AE? I'm thinking of AE as the option because we can even add more 3D depth to layers right?
      Also i need to know if the 3D i'm asking for, is the 3D that work without glasses (but with an special Tv or screen)

Thanks in regards, i'll wait for a kind response, thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're going to need to do a lot more research on creating stereo images. AE's setup is very good for adding 3D titles and the like, OK for blending Left and right images rendered from a 3D app, but doing what you are talking about is a lot more complex than just loading some footage in an app.

I would search the Internet for resources and tutorials. I would carefully plan and then write down what you are trying to do so you can have a starting place. Just purchasing AE is not going to solve your production problems.

• 2. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
            Sebastian676 Level 1

Thank you, so ill need to first take steps on the 3D software and then to AE?

• 3. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Rick says, creating quality 3D video is extremely complex and multi-faceted.  If you are working in both Blender and After Effects, and you want to generate true stereoscopic 3D from both, you will need to consider the synchronisation of camera parameters, the matching of 3D convergence between elements, matching of stereo camera rigs, and all sorts of other stuff.

If you render 2D content from Blender, then do a 3D composite in AE, things are much easier.

You can feasibly build the final output in After Effects without any additional software.  The 3D Glasses software can generate a number of different 3D modes, including anaglyph (for coloured glasses) interlaced, over under, and side by side (used by most standard 3D TVs).

Adobe TV has a good introduction tutorial here:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/short-and-suite/stereoscopic-3d-workflows-in-adobe-after-effects -55/

Aharon Rabinowitz has a good 3D Primer for basic workflow using Trapcode effects:

http://www.redgiant.com/videos/redgianttv/item/249/

More advanced users will often save the 3D output process until the very end of the workflow.  Personally, I have used a plugin called QuickS3D to edit my final stereoscopic content.  This allows you to change convergence and other parameters later in the workflow, which makes the 3D more realistic and easier to watch.  But it doesn't make the process any easier. 

You will need to spend a lot of time planning, learning and experimenting to get good results.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first steps are not in Blender, the first steps is to learn about stereography. You need to know what convergence means, how camera position and focal length effect the perception of depth, how depth of field effects the perception of 3D, what interoccular distance means. Even Peter Jackson with the first Hobbit movie screwed some shots up.

As Andrew said, this is an extremely complex and multi-faceted process and throwing CGI into the mix complicates it even farther. I shot my first 3D movie in 1981 with a camera and lens designed by Chris Condon, the inventor of the Stereovision camera lens and projection system. Chris later became a friend. Even back then, just shooting film, it was very complex and required a lot of experimentation and study to get the final effect to look the way I expected it to look.

With 3D apps for phones, 3D rigs for goPro cameras and even cameras with a variation of Chris' Stereovision lens there is a general opinion that 3D is easy. It's easier than it ever was to get a stereo pair, but it's just as hard as it ever was to achieve what you were trying to achieve when the shot is complete.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Sebastian,

This doc may also be helpful for you in understanding how stereoscopic 3D works in After Effects: http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/stereoscopic-3d-effects.html

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: 3D Stereoscopic
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Kevin, that is the document that Sebastian mentioned and linked to in his initial post.