11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 6:17 AM by Cyndee M

Please help with correct color settings

Cyndee M Level 1

I'm using ID CC. Depending on which one, my printers want my final PDFs either as PDF/x-1a (I know what it does in terms of flattening) or PDF/x-4.

I need all color images to wind up as CMYK regardless of what they were when placed. I need all 100%K blacks to stay that way and not get converted to a rich black.

Presently, my document color settings are as follows:

Settings: North America General Purpose 2

Working Spaces:

RGB: sRGB IE61966-2.1

CMYK U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2

Color Management Policies:

RGB: Preserve Embedded Profiles

CMYK: Preserve Numbers (Ignore LInked Profiles)

Conversion Options:

Engine: Adobe (ACE)

Intent: Relative Colorimetric

I use the default settings for either PDF/x-1a or PDF/x-4 (plus having ink manager convert all spots to process) and and always receive a yellow warning triangle with the following warning under general:

The preset specifies source profiles that don't match the current color settings file. Profiles specified by the color settings file will be used.

What do I need to check in my document color settings to avoid that error message (the resulting files do seem to be correct for what I need; just want to make sure I've set it right in terms of that error). Of course, any other thoughts are always appreciated too.

Also, what should my document color settings be if the final document will be black & white (grayscale) and only contains data on the black plate?

• 1. Re: Please help with correct color settings
          Cyndee M Level 1

I hate to be rude and bump this up, but I'm doing it anyways as I really, really need proper advice in this area. Please guide me.

TIA

• 2. Re: Please help with correct color settings
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That warning is normal and nothing to worry about. It just means your document color settings don't match the preset, and the document settings will be used, which you want.

But the other part of your post that IS bothersome is that by definition PDF/X-4 does not convert colors, and it preserves embedded profiles, so that color conversion can be done at the RIP. There's no way that's compatible with "I need all color images to wind up as CMYK regardless of what they were when placed."

• 3. Re: Please help with correct color settings
              Cyndee M Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

That warning is normal and nothing to worry about. It just means your document color settings don't match the preset, and the document settings will be used, which you want.

But the other part of your post that IS bothersome is that by definition PDF/X-4 does not convert colors, and it preserves embedded profiles, so that color conversion can be done at the RIP. There's no way that's compatible with "I need all color images to wind up as CMYK regardless of what they were when placed."

Thank you. I had just begun testing PDF/X-4 at the insistence of people here that it was the way to go. Then it looks like for these jobs wehre I must wind up with everything as CMYK I should continue using PDF/x1-a which does do that and which I've used for that in the past.

What about for work that is all b/w (grayscale)? Any advice on settings for that?

• 4. Re: Please help with correct color settings

If it needs to be CMYK, and the printer doesn't insist on a flattened file, I'd use the Press Quality preset to keep transparency alive. To avoid black conversions you need to either assign the destination profile as the work space or use Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers).

As far as grayscale, what does the printer want? Is everything in the file grayscale, or are you converting color to gray? ID has no gray space capabilities except on export in CS6 and later, and all of the grayscale numbers coming in are transferred to the K channel of the CMYK working space unchanged.

• 5. Re: Please help with correct color settings
                  Cyndee M Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

As far as grayscale, what does the printer want? Is everything in the file grayscale, or are you converting color to gray? ID has no gray space capabilities except on export in CS6 and later, and all of the grayscale numbers coming in are transferred to the K channel of the CMYK working space unchanged.

For the grayscale, everything is already grayscale in the file; data only in the K channel in the ID file. Based on that what color settings should I be using?

• 6. Re: Please help with correct color settings

I'd export either to the gray profile or the CMYK profile recommended by the printer.

• 7. Re: Please help with correct color settings
                      Cyndee M Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

I'd export either to the gray profile or the CMYK profile recommended by the printer.

Where is there a gray profile to export to? Do you mean a PDF preset or color setting?

• 8. Re: Please help with correct color settings
                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Sorry to contradict Peter slightly here, but X-4 allows RGB, rather than specifying it, so you can have your PDF setting 'Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)' with an appropriate desination CMYK profile, and still adhere to the X-4 standard.

It's what I do here, because I prefer that the Adobe CMM does the conversion.

• 9. Re: Please help with correct color settings

Cyndee M wrote:

Where is there a gray profile to export to? Do you mean a PDF preset or color setting?

Choose convert to destination in the export dialog and choose the gray profile.

• 10. Re: Please help with correct color settings

@ Danny, thanks for that clarification. I was not aware that forcing a color conversion adhered to the X-4 spec.

• 11. Re: Please help with correct color settings
                              Cyndee M Level 1

Thank you Peter & Danny. Hopefully I now have a proper handle on the color settings. Your help is very much appreciated.