5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2014 1:43 AM by Anton Azarov RSS

.Wav file's volume being ignored

GoodNewsJim Community Member

Hello,

I reduced the volume of a .wav file in audacity.

When I load in audacity, the volume is less.

But when I import to Flash Professional, the volume is not lowered at all.

What should I do to lower the default starting volume?

,Jim

• 1. Re: .Wav file's volume being ignored
          kglad CommunityMVP

if you're adding your sound to a timeline, open the properties panel with that keyframe selected and, next to the effects combobox is a edit sound envelope icon which you can click and edit the sound's volume.

if you use actionscript to create your sound, adjust the volume of the sound's soundchannel.

• 2. Re: .Wav file's volume being ignored

I already adjust music volume levels in game with a slider control.

What I want to do is change the default volume coming in so it is on par with the other music. 

I should be able to do this by changing the volume in audacity.

It seems like Flash Professional has a bug where it can't read in adjusted volume.

If all the music is about the same volume level, then the slider for music volume will be consistent.

• 3. Re: .Wav file's volume being ignored
              kglad CommunityMVP

i've not had that problem with audacity and flash but it's easy enough to compensate and "normalize" all your sounds' volume levels.

so, if you have inconsistant 100% sound volume levels and you want to control them all with sliders, instead of the sliders directly controlling the sounds' volumes, have it control a "normalized" variable that you assign for each sound.

for example if s1 is a sound that plays appropriately at 100% volume and s2 plays too loud (but at 80% volume matches the s1 100% volume), use:

var s1MaxVol:Number=1;

var s2MaxVol:Number=.8;

then when you're assigning sound volumes, you would use something like:

// for whateverSound with soundchannel=whateverSoundChannel and parameter = whateverSoundMaxVol set above

sound_transform.volume=whateverSoundMaxVol*your_slider_value;

whateverSoundChannel.soundTransform=sound_transform;

• 4. Re: .Wav file's volume being ignored

kglad, 

I know that hack and that is what I'm using.  I was just wondering why Adobe Flash Professional can't read in a volume level from a .wav.  That seems like it should be easy to do.  Are there plans to fix it?  It is much easier to fix the volume level using a sound editor's tools than for me to manually kludge numbers together because Adobe doesn't believe in fully conforming to standards of .wav files.

,Jim

• 5. Re: .Wav file's volume being ignored
                  Anton Azarov Community Member

Try to save your *.wav files with 44100 with Stereo properties.