5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2006 11:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

What should I use?

Hi
      I want to create a multiplayer online game with Director MX, but I don't know what server product to use. I was all set on Multi-User, when I read that Multi-User had been abandoned for Flash Communications. I'm so confused, what should I use?

(The game is turnbased)

I have a document on how to use multiuser server in director 8.5, can I apply the same documentinfo to director mx?
      //Ida
        • 1. Re: What should I use?
          Level 7
          That's not an easy question to answer, as you haven't revealed much
          information about your game. I do not know anything about the Flash
          Communication Server but development on the MUS has been discontinued in
          favor of the FCS. MUS supposedly does still work with Director 2004, but one
          would have to assume there are no guarantees on support for future versions.

I am creating a multi-user game with Director 8.5 & the MUS Xtra. It does
          not use the Server itself, it is just a simple peer-to-peer connection
          between players of the game. It works well for my needs. However it is a
          personal project, not a commercial product. I would be more concerned about
          using the MUS (server or xtra) if it were a commercial product, given it's
          status.

If you do decide that the MUS is still a viable solution, you may want to
          check http://gomu.rebus.gr. It is a site run by a very knowledgable Director
          guru who goes by the name of alchemist on this forum. This product basically
          makes using the MUS a whole lot easier. If I understand correctly it also
          adds some functionality not natively supported by the MUS. If you do not
          like 'reinventing the wheel' then it can probably save you many hours of
          work.

Come back with more information and someone can probably offer more concrete
          advice.

Dave

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What should I use?
            Level 7
            You can also have a look at:
            http://xtras.tabuleiro.com/products/nebulae/index.tdb

Btw, Dave, could you contact me off-list at info at rebus gr?

"Dave C" <private@email.com> wrote in message
            news:e7ovkv$jn7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > That's not an easy question to answer, as you haven't revealed much
            > information about your game. I do not know anything about the Flash
            > Communication Server but development on the MUS has been discontinued in
            > favor of the FCS. MUS supposedly does still work with Director 2004, but
            > one
            > would have to assume there are no guarantees on support for future
            > versions.
            >
            > I am creating a multi-user game with Director 8.5 & the MUS Xtra. It does
            > not use the Server itself, it is just a simple peer-to-peer connection
            > between players of the game. It works well for my needs. However it is a
            > personal project, not a commercial product. I would be more concerned
            > about
            > using the MUS (server or xtra) if it were a commercial product, given it's
            > status.
            >
            > If you do decide that the MUS is still a viable solution, you may want to
            > check http://gomu.rebus.gr. It is a site run by a very knowledgable
            > Director
            > guru who goes by the name of alchemist on this forum. This product
            > basically
            > makes using the MUS a whole lot easier. If I understand correctly it also
            > adds some functionality not natively supported by the MUS. If you do not
            > like 'reinventing the wheel' then it can probably save you many hours of
            > work.
            >
            > Come back with more information and someone can probably offer more
            > concrete
            > advice.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            >

• 3. Re: What should I use?
              A little more information then: The game is my final project for my education and are supposed to last ten weeks fulltime.
              I want to have a simple 2D game where the users take turns (since realtime-interaction probably is too much work?) and the one who reaches the highest level with the most points win.
              The game is meant for a future gamesite, and will not be updated or changed after my project is done. The gamesite is simply a way for this struggeling internetshop to draw customers.

So if it's not meant to be updated or changed after it's done, then are there any problems with me using MUS? Will the game simply stop working in a year or two then?
              Because I have somehow fallen for that suggestion - plus I have now found a lot of information on the subject.
              • 4. Re: What should I use?
                Level 7
                Given what you have said, I would think using a Director/MUS solution should
                be fine. The game will not simply stop working in a year or two. The risk
                would be that a new version of Director gets released with some fabulous
                feature that you can not live without, but is not supported by the MUS Xtra.
                That doesn't sound like a likely occurence given your scenario.

You might want to consider the educational value of learning a product that
                is no longer being developed. Many of the fundamental concepts you will have
                to learn will certainly be of value to you in the future, but the specifics
                of implementing your design using the MUS may not.

Finally, there are licensing issues with running the MUS that you should be
                familiar with before proceeding.

• 5. Re: What should I use?
                  Level 7
                  > a new version of Director gets released
                  > but is not supported by the MUS Xtra
                  Compatibility issues with the muXtra would also mean issues with tons of
                  other (mm and third party) Xtras.
                  What is risky however, is compatibility issues with future OS releases -
                  that will also have to do with many Xtras / existing apps.
                  MM created an OSX version of the muXtra. But I wouldn't expect they would
                  create one for the next incompatible OS. On windows though, backwards
                  compatibility is usually a high priority, so I'd guess -just a guess- that
                  the windows version of the muXtra will be functional for several years.

"Dave C" <private@email.com> wrote in message
                  news:e7r566$cc9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Given what you have said, I would think using a Director/MUS solution
                  > should
                  > be fine. The game will not simply stop working in a year or two. The risk
                  > would be that a new version of Director gets released with some fabulous
                  > feature that you can not live without, but is not supported by the MUS
                  > Xtra.
                  > That doesn't sound like a likely occurence given your scenario.
                  >
                  > You might want to consider the educational value of learning a product
                  > that
                  > is no longer being developed. Many of the fundamental concepts you will
                  > have
                  > to learn will certainly be of value to you in the future, but the
                  > specifics
                  > of implementing your design using the MUS may not.
                  >
                  > Finally, there are licensing issues with running the MUS that you should
                  > be
                  > familiar with before proceeding.
                  >
                  >
                  >