8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 3:30 AM by indy14 RSS

Help with file type

indy14

In Adobe Camera Raw, is there a way to select the file type that you save your image in. It seems .dng or DMG are the onle file types, or am I missing something. I would like to save my orginal CR2 file and save a copy in jpeg for others to open. Please help.

• 1. Re: Help with file type
          mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

When you are in editor window, you can "save as" and select the various file types to save to.  To get this, go to:

File >> Save as

You do need to get your files in the PSE editor to do this so DNG convertor comes very handy here.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Help with file type
            R_Kelly Community Member

You can open your camera raw file into the pse editor (the Open button in camera raw)

and then save to jpeg from there.

You can't save back to the original cr2 per se, but when you open the file in the pse editor (or press the Done button), camera raw will save an

.xmp file with the same name as your file to the folder that the original camera raw file (cr2) came from.

The .xmp file is how camera raw remembers the settings for each camera raw file you open.

With jpegs, tifs, psds and dng files the info is embedded in the files metadata.

• 3. Re: Help with file type
              indy14 Community Member

Thank you for the reply but I am still missing something. I am new to camera

raw so please be patient with me. When I open Photoshop, I click on File

(top left) and I select Open in Camera Raw. Then I select my raw file to

process. After I have it how I want it, I click the save image button at the

bottom left of the window. The Save Options window opens but there is no

place to "save as'' here. What am I missing.  Thank you so much for any help

you can give me. I love the way this program works but really want my raw

image saved as JPEG.  Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Help with file type
                mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

NO.  Don't click on Save Image Button.  Instead go to:

File >> Save as

You'll get a dialog like this one:

2014-02-18_0521.png

You need to click on the arrow shown in the red box to select the various file types.

• 5. Re: Help with file type
                  indy14 Community Member

I can only get that when I open a JPEG file in Photoshop. Then the ''save as

' is highlighted. When I am in Camera Raw and I am finished with a raw photo

to save that as a JPEG, there is no ''File'' to click. The File button is

in Photoshop and I cant click it in Camera Raw.

• 6. Re: Help with file type
                    R_Kelly Community Member

Use the Open Image button to open the camera raw file into photoshop elements and then you can use File>Save As to save a jpeg.

(bottom right in the camera raw dialog)

Untitled-1.jpg

• 8. Re: Help with file type
                      indy14 Community Member

Thank you  Thank you Thank you. Now I understand.