14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:05 PM by film man 24

Serious Problem

film man 24 Level 1

I have been working on a project for about a month and all of a sudden when  I select the edit tab, adobe says it has encountered a serious problem and it crashes. It also crashes if I try to access effects via -Window-effects or  anything else that falls under the edit tab like transitions. I have tried opening up other projects and the edit tab works without a promlem in them. I  have also tried restarting my computer but that has not fixed the problem. It seems to be something wrong with adobe software...Any suggestions I have to finish this video for a client and I am stuck yikes.  I'm running premiere elements 10 with a intel 5 processor, 6GB of ram and windows 7 if that helps any

-Mark

• 1. Re: Serious Problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is this problem unique to this project -- or does the program crash even when you start a new project?

Try launching the program and holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard as the program starts. This will clear the preferences.

Go to Edit/Preferences and clear the Media Cache.

Have you gone to Windows Update and ensured your have all of the Windows AND Microsoft updates, including the non-critical ones?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web sites and ensured you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

• 2. Re: Serious Problem
            ZeldAlice

Wow, that is almost EXACTLY the same problem I had with my last Premiere Elements project.The only difference is that I have Adobe Premiere 0.9 plus that the "Serious Error" message came and crushed the program down, with not only any Edit Tab, but also anything I tried to do on the storyboard and any editing. But else, it was the exact same problem I had and even tough it kind of resolved on its own over time (tough that specific pre.file was never fixed) not too long ago, the problem itself was never really solved nor gotten any answer to.

Now, the project/pre.file that caused that same problem for me, is now done and completely finnished with good ending results since not too long ago. However, I had to stop the production and save it as a video file (wmv or any such file you save such stuff as). And then I had a create a completely new project/pre.file and upload the videofile of that half-finnished project and continue it from that new project/pre.file. From there on that new project, I never encountered the same bug/problem so far, and thus I was able to finnish my musicvideoproject. However, what's even more strange is that this Serious Error Crashing problem I had never encountered before or anything like it really, the program of Adobe Premiere Elements never had such a bug/problem before. Why did it happen with that specific project/pre.file I worked on and HALF-WAY into the production and process of that same damaged project I had? And the computer I use, a Fujitsu PC Windows 7, is not slow, no small memory, no weak processor nor harddrive etc.... Not even a few other projects/pre.files which were finnished and all which I still had left saved, were affected the slighest by the crashing bug/problem which that specific other project/pre.file, and those unnaffected and still fully working projects were no small projects either...

But even tough I haven't really tried to delete the very preview stuff (or whatever it's called) of the damaged pre.file/project, I was afraid back then to lose the project of the pre.file and all my hard work on the half-finnished musicvideo project completely. So I don't know If that way really work's or not. But I also wonder, why is and what makes this Serious Error Crash on merely a specific project even occur to begin with? And again, when that problem occurs, what to do about it and how to fix and solve it? And also, will it happen again etc? And If it does happen again, what to do then?... These are the question I myself still would really like to know from anyone who has got the answers, clues etc!

I am unsure If you can create new projects which are completely fine and all. But If nothing else solves this problem for you, try to save your unfinnished project into a videofile and then create a new project where you'll upload that videofile and then continue from there, and also hope that it all works better in that new pre.file/project.

I wish you all luck!

• 3. Re: Serious Problem
              film man 24 Level 1

Thank you ZeldAlice. It is so strange I have had it happen other times also. About 1 out of every 20 projects I will encounter this problem. I sucks because it's like playing Russian Roullet, not sure when it's going to shoot you in the foot. In the past I did what you suggest, saving the video project and then uploading it to new project. That worked for me and the new project didn't crash. The thing that sucks is that when you export your video and then open it in a new project is that it is all turned into one clip so you can't change any of the effects on a particular scene and you can't alter any of you transitions! I'm not sure if anyone could tell me if I can export the actual project data, so it could then be upload it into a new project that is coroporating and as a result I would have the ability to entend clips, edit scene specific effects and transitions

That would be a work around to this problem. But we shouldn't be forced to do that... I am going to try what Steve suggested and see if that resolves the issue.

I'll be back soon

• 4. Re: Serious Problem
                film man 24 Level 1

Hi Steve, yes this problem is unique to this opened project but... I have also had this problem in the past. Thank you for your suggestions, I am going to go try them. I'll keep everyone posted...

• 5. Re: Serious Problem
                  film man 24 Level 1

Okay I tried holding down the Alt+Ctrl+shift keys and that did not work. One down, I'll try the others.

• 6. Re: Serious Problem
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Since the problem is unique to this project, you may want to open one of the older Auto-Save files and see if it's more stable.

BTW, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

How long is your project?

And what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

• 7. Re: Serious Problem
                      film man 24 Level 1

Okay, I cleared the Media Cache, got the latest Microsoft/Windows updates (including the non-critical ones) and the problem is still not fixed.

I did open one of the older Auto-Save projects and they are also not working properly (the exact same issue). Everything else works, strange.

I’m using the Canon VIXIA HF M41 for the current project. Usually I am shooting on the Canon t3i Dslr 95% of the time and I have also had the same problem…exact same. I am shooting 29.97 fps, 1920X1080. My project settings are set to match the source medium. I double checked that. When shooting on the t3i I shoot 24fps 1920X1080 and also use the correct project settings. Both cameras are filming at their max resolution.

I have also ran anti-virus/malware/spyware so that aspect has also been covered.

My project is not very long at all either, only about 3 min max…

Thanks for helping me :-)

• 8. Re: Serious Problem
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

film man 24

Just reading your thread and had some thoughts. If you have not been there and done the following, you might want to explore them.

1. When you get to the point where you are forced to go to a new project, have you ever tried the copy/paste insert between projects instead of exporting the Timeline to file and then importing that file into another project?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

2. Have you ever thought in terms of a media connect problem. In Premiere Elements you have only copies of the originals stored at some hard drive save location.

a. media stored to an external hard drive whose drive letter and functioning my be changing

b. changing of file and folder names for source media after the project has been saved/closed/reopened

c. have you been periodically running into those colorful media offline displays or other missing media displays in the opened project?

3. Just what is the size and complexity of these projects which are problematic, especially when you cannot click Edit without a crash?

Just a few thoughts to rule in or out and or file.

ATR

• 9. Re: Serious Problem
                          film man 24 Level 1

A.T Ramano- 

1.I downloaded the ClipMate software as you suggested. I was unable to run it successfully. I followed the instructions and copied it successfully but was unable to past the old project into the timeline. I would select -edit and then would attempt to "Past Insert" but it was either grayed out so couldn't select it or premiere would freeze up.

2. A media connect problem not seem to be the answer.

a.I'm only using media that is stored on my laptop

b. The media hasn't been changed in name or its folder location

c. I have had one missing media display that was of a picture I deleted. So nothing that would probably fit you definition              of periodically running into issues.

3. It varies. It's like Russian roulette. This is a small project about 3 mins but I have also had this on larger projects.

-- You said that premiere elements only stores copies of the original video data (not that actual video file).Implying premiere pro does not work this way, therefor pre pro instead brings in the actual file. Am I understanding what you said correctly

Thank you for your contributions

• 10. Re: Serious Problem
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

film man 24

Premiere Elements works from copies of the original saved to the computer hard drive. And, those copies need to trace back to those originals. If not some nasty media reconnect problems occur when you go to open the saved closed project which use the source media.

I implied nothing about Premiere Pro. I do not use the product. As far as I know the same situation exists for that program as well as regarding its project source media. Where do you see anything about Premiere Pro in what I wrote

2. Have you ever thought in terms of a media connect problem. In Premiere Elements you have only copies of the originals stored at some hard drive save location.

a. media stored to an external hard drive whose drive letter and functioning my be changing

b. changing of file and folder names for source media after the project has been saved/closed/reopened

c. have you been periodically running into those colorful media offline displays or other missing media displays in the opened project?

With regard to copy/paste insert technique, as mentioned and pointed out in the blog post, the final steps to and including Paste Insert need to be followed exactly as described (tips included), and even then a lot of patience applied waiting for the Edit Menu/Paste Insert to trigger. If you need a copy/paste insert, then worth your time to master the technique.

ATR

• 11. Re: Serious Problem
                              film man 24 Level 1

"Premiere Elements you have only copies" I was guessing the more advance software didn't use copies. That didn't add up to me because I would figure Pre Pro  would operate the same way in this manner as Pre Ele. I just read into what you said to much haha

Yes, I saw how specific the instructions were, they did a good job of telling you how to do it. It seemed like I followed the instructions correctly, I was very maticulas. Maybe further experimenting is required... Thanks for telling me about this software, it may be my only option.

• 12. Re: Serious Problem
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

film man 24

Thanks for the follow up.

Major thought is that we get you moving forward with your Premiere Elements workflows.

I will re-read your thread and, if I see any further possible troubleshooting focal points, I will post.

ATR

• 13. Re: Serious Problem
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

"Premiere Elements you have only copies" I was guessing the more advance software didn't use copies. That didn't add up to me because I would figure Pre Pro  would operate the same way in this manner as Pre Ele. I just read into what you said to much haha

In the respect of linking the original media, on the HDD, to the Project file (PREL in PrE, and PRPROJ in PrPro), it's the same with both versions of Premiere - the actual files are NOT included in the Project files - just absoute Path links to the original files. Both versions of Premiere are non-destructive NLE's (Non Linear Editors).

What this means is that the Project files are really XML databases, with links to the original media, and instructions. Nothing really happens, until one does an output to an AV file. Then, the programs read the XML links, copies the required data from them, apply the instructions, and produce an output file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Serious Problem
                                    film man 24 Level 1

A.T.R this is such a strange problem. Okay I decided to save what I had as a mpeg file so I would at least have that. The save was successful, but that wasn't the strange thing, I decided just for the heck of it I would try to click on the "Edit" tab...it worked This doesn't solve the problem because why it initially happened and continues to for me and others is still in question. If you come up with any more suggestions or hypothesis I would like to hear them. Now I just want to solve this mystery (now that I don't have to say my computer malfunctioned to my client) Not good for buisness haha I'm not sure why this happened but it certainly caused me some stress haha