16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 7:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam

Jonny2k

I am not getting a live feed from my Microsoft LifeCam HD 3000 when doing a stop motion with Adobe Premiere Elements 9.

Can figure out why and am getting frustrated.

Please help.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, Premiere Elements will only "capture" using a Firewire connection, not USB

I think you need to use different software to capture your live feed, and then edit the file in PE

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2K

You "should" be able to use your Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1's Get Media/Web Cam or WDM Device and the USB Connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifecam-hd-3000#details

What software came with the device?

Have you assured that you have the latest drivers for the device?

At this time, can you use this webcam for other than Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
              Jonny2k Level 1

The webcam works fine with the software it came with (installed), and with skype.

I can capture an image when doing a stop motion but I can't see what I am taking a picture of until after I capture the image.

I checked to see if I have the latest drivers for the webcam and I believe I do. After all, I just installed the camera a couple of days ago to replace a cheap camera that also did not give us a live feed from the camera prior to taking the still image.

any other suggestions?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                Jonny2k Level 1

Thanks John, I can actually capture the image just fine, I just can't see what I've captured until after I capture it. It's like taking a picture with the lens cap on, except I see a black screen through the viewfinder, but after the picture is shot, I can see the image.

Very strange.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

Thanks for the reply.

Even though the camera is newly purchased does not guarantee that its drivers are up to date. So, always good to verify with the Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 site.

I do not have that particular webcam or a standalone webcam.

But, I do have a built in webcam on my laptop. Tonight I am going to install Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on that computer and try to do some webcam work with it. The basic idea here is to established that there are no built in glitches in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Get Media/Web Cam or WDM.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

I have a built in webcam on my laptop that has a Windows 8.1 64 bit computer operating system.

I installed Premiere Elements 9 on that, started a new project, and used Get Media/Web Cam or WDM Device.

Clicking on that choice immediately brought up the Capture Window with my image in the Capture Window. The settings that appeared as default were:

Capture Source: had name of my webcam

Audio: microphone detail

Full Motion was dotted

When I dotted Stop Motion instead, the Capture Window was black with the following text displayed against the black

Create New Stop Motion

or

Drag existing clip her to continue

When I clicked on Create New Stop Motion choice, immediately my my image appeared in the Capture Window. No Device Control was the indication. I could see my image throughout to make my choice of when to "Capture". Alternatively I could have set for Time Lapse.

So, there does not appear to be any inherent problem in Premiere Elements 9 Get Media/Web Cam or WDM Device.

Based on your issue description where the missing ingredient is viewing your image in the Capture Window, I would ask you to do the following:

a. assure that you have the latest driver for your web cam according to the Microsoft web site

see link in prior post.

b. check all settings...in the Capture Window, look to the top right where you should see two tiny triangles pointing to the right (they are to the left of the close button X). Under those triangles, you will find Capture Settings and Device Control. Check all those settings under those categories.

Please let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                      Jonny2k Level 1

Thanks again.

I installed the latest driver from the Microsoft website and I too can use my webcam that is built into my laptop. It does give me the live feed even when doing the stop motion.

Your last point: "b. check all settings...in the Capture Window, look to the top right where you should see two tiny triangles pointing to the right (they are to the left of the close button X). Under those triangles, you will find Capture Settings and Device Control. Check all those settings under those categories."

I don't have any choices under those two triangles.  I have attached a screen print of my capture window.

Prem Elements Screen Shot.jpg

I have Premiere Elements 9.0.1

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                        Jonny2k Level 1

When I click on the right side of the two triangles, those menus appear.  I've fiddled with all the settings and haven't come up with a solution.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies.

The following screenshot shows the situation on my Windows 7 64 bit computer which does not have a built in or any standalone webcam at the present time. The screenshot is to demonstrate the triangles for access to Capture Settings and Device Control opportunities in the Capture Window.

webcam.jpg

The LG display is just CyberLink software injecting itself into the action in spite of the fact there is no webcam.

I am not sure if exploring the matter of drivers and other will make matter better or worse.

http://www.fixya.com/support/p2962553-microsoft_lifecam_hd_3000_webcam_usb_t3h/solutions/p age-12

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                            Jonny2k Level 1

Thanks, that all being said, I have seen somewhere along the line that Premiere Elements 9 does not support HD Webcams for Stop Motion.

I can't find that information anywhere in any documentation.

Does that make sense given most Webcams nowadays are HD?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

I found the following in the Premiere Elements 9 Help PDF, page 51

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en_US/premiereelements/9/premiereelements_9_help.pdf

USING ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9

Capturing video

Last updated 11/7/2011

Note:

You cannot capture stop-motion video from an HDV source. For more information about stop-motion video, see

Adobe Premiere Elements Help.

However, HDV is a specific kind of HD video (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9). So, I need to do more homework on that SD vs HD webcam aspect of the matter. The webcam built into my laptop is non HD.

You wrote that, although you could not see the capture, you did have capture. What was the resolution of the captures, SD or HD?

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                                Jonny2k Level 1

I believe the resolution of the capture is HD but I'm not sure how to check.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

Let us try this with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 with a HD project preset.

I set my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 with a NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 (1920 x 1080) project preset and then did the Get Media/Webcam or WDM Device.

TimeLapse I obtained an .avi clip in the Project Media. When I right clicked the file there and selected Properties, it showed a frame size of 720 x 480.

Stop Motion. I obtained a still image in Project Media. When I right clicked the file there and selected Properties, it showed pixel dimensions of 640 x 480.

But, I know that the webcam built into my laptop is the non HD kind.

What values do you get when you do the above with Microsoft LifeCam HD 3000 and Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                                    Jonny2k Level 1

I get the same values 640 x 480 but it's a bitmap (BMP) file type.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

Great that you followed up in your thread today. I was about to post some further developments on this subject of Premiere Elements and its Add Media with the webCam choice.

I do after all have a HD 720p webcam built into my laptop (I thought it was SD since I have only used it with Premiere Elements.) I will write about the details by tomorrow but the drift of it all is that I can get HD720p video from my built in HD720p webcam outside of Premiere Elements, but the same webcam is only offering SD video when the webcam is used in Premiere Elements. Interesting developments.

Greater detail by tomorrow night or sooner.

Thanks again for the follow ups. This is probably focusing on little known, little written about, not clarified properties of the Premiere Elements Add Media from webcam feature. But, I want to make sure of my details and verify the findings.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - no live feed from web cam
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonny2k

I have been further exploring Premiere Elements 12 and Add Media/Webcam or WDM.

My computer documentation confirms that I have a 720p HD Webcam built into my laptop. Yet, when I use the Premiere Elements 12 Webcam feature, I get SD video and SD bitmaps. And in the Premiere Elements 12 Capture Window, the Capturing Source shows the name of the 720p HD webcam. The Premiere Elements 12 project preset is set to NTSC HDV HDV 720p30.

I am getting the same results if I use Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 instead of Premiere Elements 12's Webcam feature. The Webcam involved is still the same, the built in 720p HD Webcam.

Now here comes the interesting part that drives me on. I came across this YouTube video tutorial on Premiere Elements 12 and its Webcam feature. Here the Webcam is Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920. That sure looks like a 16:9 (aka HD) outcome.

Is it then a matter of which HD Webcam rather than Premiere Elements non support for HD Webcams? Still exploring the matter.

ATR