2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 11:28 AM by Joel Cherney

Loading an OCR-converted Word file onto InDesign

Sue_editor

I need help with a layout job I am currently working on:

I used OCR technology to convert a PDF into editable Word files (.docx). The book is only available as a PDF, and there is no other way for me to possibly convert it into a Word document.

I now need to "place" or load the edited Word file onto InDesign. The file size is 1.5 mb.

The File is not getting placed/loaded onto InDesign. Only the first 30-odd pages are getting loaded, but not the rest of the document.

Has anyone worked with an OCR-converted .docx/Word file before? Has anyone faced a similar problem and has a solution to fix this?

• 1. Re: Loading an OCR-converted Word file onto InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why not use save as Word from Acrobat?

• 2. Re: Loading an OCR-converted Word file onto InDesign
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I used OCR technology to convert a PDF into editable Word files (.docx). The book is only available as a PDF, and there is no other way for me to possibly convert it into a Word document.

I now need to "place" or load the edited Word file onto InDesign. The file size is 1.5 mb.

My first question is much like Bob's: did you really need to OCR? Was there no live, selectable text in the PDF?

Next up is a caution. This workflow - where you rely on Acrobat OCR, and then on Acrobat save-as-Word file - is useful in a pinch, but often results in Word files full of messed-up stuff. You know, like unnecessary tables, text that is still an image, stuff like that. The things I'd do in your case are:

1) Make sure that I didn't just have an overset text indicator at page 30 because there was some word too long for the column width - forinstanceiftheOCRconversiondidn'thaveanyspacesinaline

and

2) Open up the Word file, go to the equivalent of page 30, and look for conversion artifacts that might be preventing correct layout.