3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 3:22 PM by Todd_Kopriva Branched from an earlier discussion.

navigation slow

Justin Meredith

I was going to post this to a new thread, but I seem to be having a similar problem.

I'm working in an entirely 2d comp (3894x720), doing some very simple text animation, and scaling/repositioning 1920x1080 video, totalling about 200 layers.

I just started having this problem, AE was working fine last night, but now all of my navigation within AE is very sluggish. Timeline marker takes anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds to appear where I click it, menus take just as long to pop up when I right click on a layer, even the cursor takes that long just to switch from regular black arrow to any other icon (for example when trying to extend a layer by dragging).

I have Fast Draft turned on for previews since I'm working in a 3-wide 1280x720 comp on an older machine. Video previews don't seem to be effected, it's just navigation.

I tried pre-comping as much as I could, but this had no effect. I also have the latest CC desktop and AE updates. A machine reboot had no effect.

I ran the activity monitor and found that when this was happening, my CPU usage for AE spiked up as high as 200% and never settled under 80%.

Machine specs:

iMac late 2009

Processor  2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Running AE CC