10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 7:24 AM by A.T. Romano

New program and it won't work.

adobe question

I just purchased Premere Elements 12 and at the welcome screen I clicked on Video Editor, then New Project and after the moving dash line stops, nothing else happens. Same result when I click on Existing Project. I deleted the original download, redownloaded it and get the same result. i.e. I cannot even use the program. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: New program and it won't work.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us more information to work with, please?

1. What OS version are you using to run PrE 12?
          2. What video card/chip (GPU) do you have - both the make and model?
          3. Does your computer have dual-GPU's?
          4. What is the version of your installed video driver - both the number and date?
          5. Is that the latest version from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, for your OS?
          6. Do you have any real-time, active anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-anything programs running? If so, try with them OFF.

Good luck, and let us know some more please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: New program and it won't work.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, do you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player installed?

Hunt

• 3. Re: New program and it won't work.
              adobe question Level 1

Main CPU is an Intel core 2 quad Q6600@ 2.4 ghz.

OS is Win 7 64 bit SP!

Video card is Nvidia GeForce 9400GT and Nvidia drivre is date 9/18/13 ver 9.18.13.3221

6 GB Ram

I shut off my anit-virus software (AVAST!) and restarted the program with same result.

I should mention that I also got Adobe Photoshop Elements at the same time and that program works ok.

• 4. Re: New program and it won't work.
                adobe question Level 1

The latest version of my Quick Time Player is ver 7.7.4 (1680.86)

• 5. Re: New program and it won't work.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

adobe question

It might be time to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat (Downloading, Installing, Setting Up)

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

Please click on the above link. When it opens, click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat.

We could look at rolling back your NVIDIA video card driver (although, all those NIVIDIA problems seem to be with the Premiere Elements 10 users)

Did anyone cover ground on permissions? Have you tried right clicking the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 12 and selecting Run As Administrator even when you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Has your computer system gone through the specific sequential drill of uninstall/ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts), and then the reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls turned off?

But it may be worthwhile to see what Adobe has to say about these installation/no start situations.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: New program and it won't work.
                    Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi adobe question,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums and really apologize for inconvenience.

Please try to launch Premiere Elements 12 from this location:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

do not launch Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe

Lets see what error message do you get.

and try to uninstall avast from the system and please check if you have any other firewall software installed on the system.

Thanks,

Sandeep

• 7. Re: New program and it won't work.
                      adobe question Level 1

Well folks, I don't understand why things work the way they do but, probably by accident, I finally got the program to work.

I tried Singh Sandeep's suggestion and went to C:\probram files\adobe\adobe premere elements 12 (the location as suggested in his response to my problem).  There was no exe. file of any kind in that folder or sub folders.

On a lark I went to c:\program files (x86), adobe premere elements12\adobe premere elements 12 and found two adobe premere elements .exe files. one having the number 12, the other did not have the number 12 in the file name.

I clicked on the .exe file without the number 12 and lo and behold adobe premere elements 12 started. However the welcome screen I saw originally did not show, but that's ok.

Thanks for your suggestions everybody and maybe somebody can explain why my system works the way it does.

• 8. Re: New program and it won't work.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

adobe question

Great news. But....read on.....

There are two exe files to content with.

Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe. Typically that one opens the program from the Welcome Screen.

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. That opens the program, bypassing the Welcome Screen.

If you have not already, you can right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, select Sent to, and select  Create a Desktop Shortcut. Thereafter use that desktop shortcut to open your Premiere Elements.

The major but in all this is that in no way should you be finding those version 12 .exe files in Program Files (x86). If you have Windows 7 64 bit as you stated, those .exe files are in Program Files as Sandeep has stated. And, where I know they are. I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

64 bit.JPG

In spite of your good news, I am concerned about your good news since it does not fit. Is it possible that you set a special place to install Premiere Elements 12, something other than the default location?

Could you review the situation and let us know of any further details that might explain all this?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: New program and it won't work.
                          adobe question Level 1

Yes, I did create a different location when I downloaded the program (see screen shot below for Program Files (x86)):

Adobe PEL Program files (x86) screen shot.gif

That must explain why I didn't find any executable files in the Program Files folder (see screen shot below):

Adobe PEL Program files screen shot.gif

However, why won't my program execute from the welcome screen?

Anyway, thanks for your assistance in helping me get the program to work. Now I have to learn how to use it. My first attempt didn't go so well.

• 10. Re: New program and it won't work.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

adobe question

In the opened Premiere Elements 12 project, go to Help Menu/Welcome Screen.

At the top right of the Welcome Screen, click on the icon to the left of the close button.

Decide what works best for you in the choices under "On Start Always Launch:"

It is up to you how you wish to proceed and consider reinstalling the program to the default location Program Files (typically found there 64 bit applications) instead of Program Files (x86) (typically found there 32 bit applications).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/programs-files-vs-program -files-x86/7d631676-e688-472a-a1bb-eefccfeca6d7

At this time, I am not comfortable trying to target cause and effect for Premiere Elements 12 that has been installed to an area other than Program Files on a Windows 7 64 bit computer.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR