2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 9:24 AM by brettAtPeriscopic

Automated Cropping for Print Preparation?

brettAtPeriscopic

I am interested in "best practices" advice for creating cropped versions of placed images in InDesign after I've designed a document, in preparation to send the document to a printer. My current workflow is as follows:

1. I gather images, some of which may be very high resolution
      2. I place images into the document begin to move, resize, and/or crop images to achieve the design. This often implies a lot of careful adjustment as I start to see the elements of the design coming together. I keep the image resolution high to permit this sort of adjustment. For instance I might zoom in on one image by increasing its size, and leave a majority of it outside the crop window.
      3. When the design is finalized, I find myself with a collection of very high resolution files in the packaged link folder. It's good that they're high resolution, but when I check my links palette, I find that most of my "effective dpi" values are considerably higher than 300 dpi. I have way too much image data and physical image area than I'm actually using.

What would be ideal is a function that essentially does this:

1. Take all my high resolution source files, and
      2. crop each one to the dimensions I'm actually using in my InDesign file, based on where I've drawn the crop window
      3. reduce all images to 300 dpi in the cases that my effective dpi is higher than 300. For example, I might have a 300 dpi image at 8x10" which I reduced to 4x5" and cropped in half, so now I have a 2x5" image at 600dpi. That's great, but in that case, I shouldn't be sending a 300dpi 8x10" image to the printer - I should be sending them a 300dpi 2x5" image with the exact crop that I specified when I was designing in InDesign - otherwise I'm just wasting space.

I could of course go into each of my high res source images, open them in photoshop, set the dimensions of the canvas to the dimensions of my crop window in InDesign, and try to eyeball the crop, but in many cases I've been very meticulous about placing, resizing, and cropping those images in context of the design document (rather than isolated in a photoshop window) so it seems like a poor choice to try to do all this work again in a separate program.

Is there any method/feature that would help here?

cropping.jpg

• 1. Re: Automated Cropping for Print Preparation?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's great, but in that case, I shouldn't be sending a 300dpi 8x10" image to the printer - I should be sending them a 300dpi 2x5" image with the exact crop that I specified when I was designing in InDesign - otherwise I'm just wasting space.

300ppi is a random convention, sampling an image down from 600ppi certainly won't make the output better. But if you want to adhere to some specific pixel resolution requirement, export a print ready PDF (PDF/X) and set the resolution at export.

• 2. Re: Automated Cropping for Print Preparation?
            brettAtPeriscopic Level 1

Right - downsampling wouldn't make the output any better but it would throw away all that extra information that I don't need - I will try exporting the print ready PDF though - that might solve most of the problem. Thank you!