1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2006 8:37 AM by Newsgroup_User

I told my Boss "You Want What!?"

johnbmcdonald
      Hi Everyone,

My Boss came into my office today and asked me to add a feature to a web application I am working on. Apparently some of the management types that have to interact with tihs program are uncomfortable interacting with a website via browser.

Apparently they are very comfortable issuing commands via email. So I set it up with links in the email that allowed them to execute boolean and multiple choice commands by supplying various links for them to click on in their emails. This has kept them away from using their browser to actually interact with the system until today. My boss now wants the management types to be able to enter free form text response to questions. my program should pick up their comments and store them in the database

I have no idea where to begin.. Do I need to build some kind of pop3 or smtp functionality into my program? Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
      John McDonald
        • 1. Re: I told my Boss "You Want What!?"
          Level 7
          johnbmcdonald wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > My Boss came into my office today and asked me to add a feature to a web
          > application I am working on. Apparently some of the management types that have
          > to interact with tihs program are uncomfortable interacting with a website via
          > browser.
          >
          > Apparently they are very comfortable issuing commands via email. So I set it
          > up with links in the email that allowed them to execute boolean and multiple
          > choice commands by supplying various links for them to click on in their
          > emails. This has kept them away from using their browser to actually interact
          > with the system until today. My boss now wants the management types to be able
          > to enter free form text response to questions. my program should pick up their
          > comments and store them in the database
          >
          > I have no idea where to begin.. Do I need to build some kind of pop3 or smtp
          > functionality into my program? Anybody got any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          > John McDonald
          >
          >

You should be able to (relatively) easily set up a mailbox on a mail
          server that would receive these emails, and then you can use cfpop to
          download the emails from this account. Then you'd just have to parse the
          emails to get the info you want and stick it in a database or whatever
          else you need to do with it.

Matt

--
          Matt Woodward
          mpwoodward@gmail.com
          Adobe Community Expert - ColdFusion