1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 8:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Incompatible Display Driver

Amyma Level 1

I followed all the steps to download and install a new driver from the Lenovo website.  I have the most recent driver. I still get a message that I have an incompatible display driver when I try to use the program.

• 1. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Display driver & Baddriver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1370916?tstart=0 may help

Is that a laptop, and do you have DUAL graphics adapters?

Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound and then select Device Manager... In Device manager you click the + sign to the left of Display Adapters... and see if 2 are listed

• 2. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
            Amyma Level 1

Yes it is a laptop. It lists AMD Radeon, HD 7450M and Intel Graphics family.

• 3. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Amyma

Please follow up on John's troubleshooting related to users with 2 video cards.

But, please indicate what version of Premiere Elements you are working with and on what computer operating system it is running.

If the 2 video card situation troubleshooting does not resolve your issue, the information that I have just required will allow me to give you instructions for deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                Amyma Level 1

It is Premeire Elements 12 on Windows 7.

• 5. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                  Amyma Level 1

The link that John provided did not help resolve our problem.

• 6. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Amyma

For Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit)

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Close out of there. When you reopen Premiere Elements 12, the program generates a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the issue is gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file dates back to at least version 9.0/9.0.1 and is found in post 10 of this older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

Word of caution. The BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 is a file inside the Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited. That Premiere Elements Folder also contains some folders besides the BadDrivers.txt file. You want only the BadDrivers.txt file in Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                      Amyma Level 1

That did not work either.

• 8. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Amyma

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

But, as recap,

a. Are both the AMD Radeon HD7450M and Intel Graphics up to date. I know you said that you checked at the Lenovo web site, but did you check for both or just one or the other? Did you visit the ATI/AMD web site was confirmation?

b. Have you tried to disable the Intel Graphics card to determine if that had any positivie impact on the display message appearance.

I am not sure if there are Bios adjustment that are possible in this instance. John should have more information on that when he returns to your thread.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Incompatible Display Driver

>lists AMD Radeon, HD 7450M and Intel Graphics family

Dual video problems (some for Premiere Pro, but the idea is the same)

Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound and then select Device Manager... In Device manager you click the + sign to the left of Display Adapters... and see if 2 are listed

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error---preludevideo-play-modules.html

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

-http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-n vidia-optimus-technology/2

• 10. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                            Amyma Level 1

This is getting way too technical for me. I am just an artist trying to publish a tutorial. I will have my husband look at this when he gets home from work. It really should not be this hard to use a software package I just paid

$100 for.

• 11. Re: Incompatible Display Driver

This is not the program's fault, it is the fault of laptop companies who, while trying to be helpful and use less energy (ie-longer battery life) make things VERY difficult for video editing which needs to use the "full power" graphics adapter at all times

Tell your husband to start at the top of the list of links I provided and start reading

• 12. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                Amyma Level 1

Hi this is Amyma's husband.  I appreciate everyone's help.

Here's what I've done so far tonight.

1. Reinstalled video driver: AMD/ATI's site did not have one for the chip on this computer.  I did get one from Lenovo for this model computer and installed it, but I think it was the same one I already had.  I didn't see anything for the Intel integrated graphics to install (maybe it's part of the AMD/ATI driver).

2. Tried to go into BIOS to set up graphics for full power as described in one of the threads.  There was no video-related setting in the BIOS setup.

3. Went into Catalyst Control Center and set up to use High Performance mode for Premier Elements 12.

After doing these things, it still wouldn't run.  Is there anything else I'm missing?

I also tried to disable the Intel Graphics from Device Manager.  When I did this, the screen went into a low-res mode.  Then I started Premier Elements 12.  This time, it let me start but I did get a warning:

We have detected generic Microsoft's display driver on this machine.  To get  a better and faster playback performance, please update your driver.

Display driver details: Microsoft Corporation - GDI Generic 1.1.0

I went back and re-enabled the Intel driver and got this message:

No AMD graphics driver installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.

The frame of this message actually came up when I closed Premier Elements but the contents of the box wouldn't draw on the screen until I re-enabled the Intel graphics.

I haven't tried disabling the Windows services yet.  Any other ideas?

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Could you go back to the point where you disabled the Intel Graphics from the Device Manager and got the display card warning?

At that very point, could you delete the BadDrivers.txt file found in the path cited previously

For Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit)

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Close out of there. When you reopen Premiere Elements 12, the program generates a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the issue is gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file dates back to at least version 9.0/9.0.1 and is found in post 10 of this older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

Word of caution. The BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 is a file inside the Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited. That Premiere Elements Folder also contains some folders besides the BadDrivers.txt file. You want only the BadDrivers.txt file in Premiere Elements Folder in the path cited.

Looking forward to your results. We thank both of you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                    Amyma Level 1

I tried deleting BadDrivers.txt while Intel Graphics was disabled.  It still didn't work after I re-enabled Intel Graphics driver.

I did the following:

Followed instructions to shut down services using msconfig.

Uninstalled the trial version of Premiere Elements 11.

Uninstalled Premiere Elements 12.

Deleted files in Program Files and Program Data folders associated with these programs.

Installed QuickTime (latest version from Apple).

Reinstalled Premiere Elements 12.

Still having the same problem.

• 15. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sorry the news was not better. Thank you for working through the troubleshooting.

But, I would have this question before we put the BadDrivers.txt file behind us. With the Intel Graphics driver disabled, you deleted the BadDrivers.txt file. Did you test Premiere Elements after that with the Intel Graphics driver still disabled so that you had the condition...Intel Graphics driver disabled and newly generated BadDrivers.txt file?

You might want to bring Adobe into the troubleshooting via its Adobe Chat. There is a 30 day money back that goes along with this product purchased from it. So, attention to the timing just in case.

Click on the following link. When it opens, click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

The Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up category was my first choice for the Adobe Chat contact.

I will continue to think about this.

Please update us on your progress when you get the time.

Thanks again to you both.

ATR

• 16. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                        Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Amyma,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Please try to remove the amdocl64.dll from the below location and move it on the desktop. Try launching the application and check.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdocl64.dll

Please let us know if this works out.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 17. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                          Amyma Level 1

ATR: Yes, I deleted BadDrivers.txt while Premiere Elements was open with the Intel Graphics driver disabled and also after I closed it before opening again (still with Intel Graphics disabled).

Sandeep: I just tried moving the dll file like you described and it still isn't working.   I tried a reboot, still no change.

I'm going to start an Adobe Chat session.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 18. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Amyma

Thanks to you for your continuing follow up.

We will be watching for further developments.

Also, I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 19. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                              geekintraining Level 1

Why can't Adobe just fix the problem with their software?  I have the same issue with 10 on my Win 7 64 bit system. I have a pretty loaded Dell system, with only one graphics card and I've tried all the so called fixes.  It seems everything I read is about how we should be doing this and that to our computers to make them compatible with your software?  The common denominator in this whole equation is the software.  If it is was a certain brand of graphics card or a certain type of computer, I'd buy into it.  But it doesn't matter what system, what computer, what card, they don't work with the software.  I'm so fed up I'm ready to uninstall this crap and buy another brand.  Mine was working great and I was very happy with it, then suddenly one day, poof, it no werky no mo? 

I've got a stack of print outs of all the 'fixes' sitting here in front of me, none of them fixed it.  This started several months ago and I couldn't fix it then so I just walked away from my project and had hoped a patch would come out soon.  I returned to it today and no matter what I try, same error message.  I'm very disappointed in Adobe.

• 20. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

You realize that we are not Adobe, just user to user?

Please excuse the questions, but I would like to focus in on your situation to see if there is something that can be done to get you moving forward with your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit projects.

1. The classical question - what video card/graphics card does your computer with Premiere Elements 10 use? If NVIDIA GeForce, then see the Announcement at the top of this forum for the explanation of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue which requires a driver roll back to get Premiere Elements 10 working.

2. At this time, what is the specific issue with your Premiere Elements 10? If more than one, please list them all.

3. Whatever video card/graphics card that your computer uses, have you been through the drills of "latest version of the driver installed" and "deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file"?

4. If you download and install Premiere Elements 10 tryout installation files from the following web site, can you then get Premiere Elements 10 to work for you as a tryout or with your purchased serial number inserted in these installation files to make it your working copy?

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-10-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

5. Have you been down the path of deactivate, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall disabled? And, afterward even a deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file?

6. What anti-virus program does your computer use - McAfee? Have you looked at your Premiere Elements 10 issues with and without the antivirus disabled?

Anything in the above that catches you attention for avenues to follow?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                  geekintraining Level 1

Sorry and thanks, I just hate dealing with issues like this and to not have

a person at Adobe to talk to  is frustrating.

I work with software vendors at work and I'm in no mood for them when I get

home.

I have a AMD Radeon HD 5670 and I have updated it again this  afternoon.

When I try to load a project I get the error message about the incompatible

driver, need to update....

I can hear the audio, but can't see the video.  When I pause it, I can  see

a screen shot of the image.

And I can't locate any BADDRIVERS.txt file. 

I haven't tried reinstalling as I assumed I'd lose all my work?

I'm just using Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of 

Malwarebytes.

And I do appreciate the help, even if you can't help me get it fixed.

In a message dated 6/30/2014 9:14:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Incompatible  Display Driver

created by A.T. Romano (https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano)  in 

Premiere Elements - View the full  discussion

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6511799#6511799)

• 22. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                    geekintraining Level 1

Someone graciously pointed out to me that this is a help forum and not a Adobe customer support.  Apologize for my attitude.  Isn't there a 1-800- number we can call and get a human being on the phone?  If not, I appreciate the help offered here.

• 23. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

We would glad to try and help. There is no 1-800 number to call that I know of. And, I suspect that the only way to get any troubleshooting telephone numbers is through Adobe Chat. But, when all is said and done, you are likely to find that Adobe supports only the current version, that being 12 at this time - fee or no fee involved.

The deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file has high prospects of being one or all of your answers.

Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. After you delete the BadDrivers.txt file, close out of there, and opened a Premiere Elements 10 project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file, but the display error message and the problem should be gone.

The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file is given in post 10 of the following older thread and is applicable to version 9 and later versions.

Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

You should not lose your project with the uninstall reinstall, but you can always archive (project archiver) any projects that you want a safety net on.

So, we could look at deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall with antivirus and firewall disabled. Even delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

But, the BadDriver.txt deletion has been know to work miracles. So let us keep that thought.

Extra reading...ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Saving Project/Program Assets Before Uninstall

Looking forward to your follow up when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                        geekintraining Level 1

I don't see the folder or file you are talking about?

In a message dated 6/30/2014 9:58:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6511805#6511805)

• 25. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                          geekintraining Level 1

bottom portion

no BadDriver.txt

In a message dated 6/30/2014 9:58:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6511805#6511805)

• 26. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

Please double check your Folder Option.

Windows 7 64 bit

Click on Start Button

In the Search field above the Start Button, type in Folder Optons

Then look to the top of the left side column to see Folder Options to click on.

In Folder Options dialog, click on the View Tab.

In the View Tab, scroll down to the option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"

and make sure that you have selected it with a dot.

The Premiere Elements 10 BadDrivers.txt file and the complete path to it should now be visible.

BadDrivers.txt.JPG

Please see correct path at the top of this screenshot.

Major oops. I just looked back at the path that I gave you in post 23...I mistyped and typed Program Files instead of Program Data. Major apologizes.

[reply 23 corrected... Mod]

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. Your Folder Options may be just fine, and my typo is why you could not find the BadDrivers.txt file.

ATR

• 27. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                              geekintraining Level 1

Ok, I did all of that and still....

In a message dated 6/30/2014 10:51:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6511928#6511928)

• 28. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news was not better. But...

When you get the display card error, does the error name specially the AMD Radeon HD 5670 in the error message? If you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters, do you find only the AMD Radeon HD 5670 listed there or is there more than 1 card mentioned?

It is pushing about 1 am where I am, so I will be following up on this in the morning.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 29. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                  geekintraining Level 1

Now this is popping up and it keeps reappearing every time I try to close 

it.

In a message dated 6/30/2014 10:51:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6511928#6511928)

• 30. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                    geekintraining Level 1

I understand.  You've tried.  It only shows one driver.

In a message dated 6/30/2014 11:48:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6512011#6512011)

• 31. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

New day, maybe old ideas. In spite of your BadDrivers.txt deletion results and your updating of the ADM Radeon HD 5670 driver, I am still suspecting that the video card/graphics card and its driver are at the core of your issue. I am pushed in this direction because of the persistent Premiere Elements 10 display card error that you are receiving.

When you were updating the driver for your card, were you exploring the following ADM/ATI web site:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Possibilities of a card manager where card settings could be customized? Uninstall/reinstall of the driver? Roll back of the driver?

Please consider

That display card message does not seem to be pointing to the Premiere Elements settings file, but we could try deleting it to see if that action has any impact on the issue.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. This is another requests that requires Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for further developments when you have time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 32. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                        geekintraining Level 1

I went to that link and I'm downloading AMD catalyst software??

I also deleted the entire 10 folder as requested.

Once the software is completely loaded?

In a message dated 7/1/2014 2:11:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6513910#6513910)

• 33. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                          geekintraining Level 1

When I updated the drivers yesterday, I went to the Dell site and 

downloaded it the ones for my system.

In a message dated 7/1/2014 2:11:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6513910#6513910)

• 34. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

Good evening. Has anything so far made even the slightest improvement in your Premiere Elements 10 display card error message situation?

I do not have an ATI/ADM video card/graphics card so I can only point you to the card manufacturer and general principles with the thought

that the ATI/ADM site will support you on the card details.

Since you did not mention success yet, can I assume that deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File and the whole folder in

which it exists did not have any effect?

At this point, am I understanding correctly that this display error message is at the start up of the program loading even before source media

are added to the project and not after you have imported the source media and placed it on the Timeline.

That display card error keeps driving me in the direction of the video card/graphics card.  Hope is not a "red herring".

More later.

ATR

• 35. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                              geekintraining Level 1

The AMD software says my driver is up to date.  I deleted the 10  folder. 

I re launched Premiere and when I attempt to open a project the  "we have

detected an incompatible display driver......" message appears.

In a message dated 7/1/2014 9:36:51 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6514851#6514851)

• 36. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

Thanks for the additional video card/graphics card testing.

When that display error message appears, it is specifically displaying your driver by name?

I am looking for a thread a while back on some successful maneuvers that were made with

settings for ATI/ADM video card/graphics card in relation to Premiere Elements.

I was hoping that you could get through to ATI/ADM customer support to see if it had any

insights in the situation.

Do you have any other video card/graphics card to use on that computer other than the ATI/ADM one?

To be continued....

ATR

• 37. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                                  geekintraining Level 1

I uninstalled my HD5670 driver and then re-installed it.  I  uninstalled

Premiere 10 and re-installed it.  Still getting same error  message.

I can only assume from my research on the web that this wasn't fixed  in

12, so upgrading is a waste of my money?

In a message dated 7/1/2014 10:18:51 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/6514949#6514949)

• 38. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                                    geekintraining Level 1

I downloaded the trial version of PRO and it works great, no problems with video playback.  Just can't justify the full purchase price for the hobby videos that I make.

• 39. Re: Incompatible Display Driver
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

geekintraining

Thanks for the update.

Please consider downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Windows from Adobe.

The driver situation may not exist in 12. Worth the look rather than going the subscription route with the Premiere Pro direction.

And, this tryout, if nothing else, might prove a great diagnostic tool for what is going on with 10 and that display card error.

Still looking for the thread that I mention.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next