6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2017 11:11 AM by marcusidlm

How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop

smartobjecter

Hello!

Smart objects in photoshop is realy powerfull tool, i use it  in many different ways and create complicated web graphic. But many times i need to do one thing with them and always fail:

If i have several different smart objects, and I do DIFFERENT  perspective transform to them (it means scaling distortion rotation etc)

how can i apply the *same* transform that has one of my objects to another one smart objet that yet has no transformation (or it has some alrady dosn't matter)?

In other words how can i copy the transformation in some way (as you might copy a layer style and apply the same one to a different layer)

Is there any way? or i shoud look to scripting to do that?

Is there real photoshop guru who knows how to do that?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I currently see no default option for that and I doubt the necessary information is Script-able, but maybe someone over at

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting?view=discussions

has more insight.

A work-around might be using »New Smart Object via Copy« and switching in the other content.

• 2. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
            smartobjecter Level 1

Thank you!

Yes i know about this workaround but unfortunatly there will be immediatly other question raised :

if i do this (replace content of my new smart object created by copying from original) then this new smart object will be disconnected from any other smart object, and there is no way how to restore this connection betwen smart objects after content replace operation. Or there is?

This is important  for me cause in my work i have a lot of smart objects with different transformations but conneted to one source data object.

So unfortunatly for me but this idea is not even workaround for my workflow? It's so pity

• 3. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I know of no method to change two instances of different Smart Objects in one containing document to instances of one Smart Object in CS6.

In CC the Linked Smart Objects might provide an opportunity.

As for assessing the transformation/warp values of a Smart Object via Scripting: I seem to remember having come across at least one thread on the issue and as far as I recall not even the scale could be assessed directly, so the values for rotation, skew, warp seem no more likely to be readily available.

• 4. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
                smartobjecter Level 1

O, it s realy good news! i waited for this reeealy long time. Finally adobe include this options for linked objects in PS. I didnt know about this update and haven't tested yet, but bless you for this good news! and thank you very much!

I even think i can use this to create some workaround for my primary question.

• 5. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
                  CorySouthpaw Level 1

No scripting needed, and this is definitely possible.   If I'm reading your question correctly...

Paste in whatever art you'd like - convert to SO.   Let's call this SO-1    Now do whatever transforming and warping you would like.

When done, click on SO-1 >  Go to Layer > Smart Objects > "New smart object via copy".  This will create a duplicate SO, independent of SO-1.

We'll call this SO-2.   This new smart-object should have the same transforming affects from #1.   Then double click on the smart object icon within your layers panel.  This will launch a new tab and bring you into the nested artwork.  (aka the .PSB file)

You should see you're original artwork from SO-1.    Paste in the new artwork for SO-2 and delete the layer from SO-1.   Now save & close SO-2.   Your document should auto-update with the new piece of artwork w/ same transformations from SO-1. 

I do this all the time when creating box packaging renders.  As long as the 2nd piece of pasted art is relatively the same size as the 1st you'll be fine.  Sounds complicated written out like this, but it's actually quite simple once you do it a few times.

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to copy a smart object transform in Photoshop
                    marcusidlm Level 1

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed