2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 9:54 AM by lloyd1981

Trouble installing Flash Player 12

blue specklefish

I have just performed a “clean install” of Flash Player 12. The installer explicitly said I was installing version 12. And yet Flash Player 12 is nowhere to be found on my computer. Any Flash I try to run brings up Player 10. A spotlight search shows only version 10. I followed these instructions absolutely to the letter:

Download the appropriate uninstaller from the following page: Uninstall Flash Player | Mac

Close all browser windows, mount and run the uninstaller

Restart OS X

Delete all remaining files and folders locating in the following folders:

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Flash Player.plugin

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\flashplayer.xpt

~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\

~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

At this point, Flash Player should be fully removed from your system.  To download the most recent version of the Player for installation, please visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

But apparently this didn't work. If I try to run a NewsHour clip, for instance, I get a “plug-in failure” flag. (The clip runs fine on my phone.) How do I get rid of all previous versions of Flash, and install version 12?

Shouldn’t this kind of thing be simple?

• 1. Re: Trouble installing Flash Player 12
          Mike M Level 6

There's one other place to trash files from if you're still seeing the "blocked plugin".

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager

Trash everything there and then do the "clean install".

• 2. Re: Trouble installing Flash Player 12
            lloyd1981 Level 1

Had very much the same issue. An "install" would progress to 95%, then freeze. I followed Mike M's advice, as well as running Uninstall again. Before removing the file

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager

I had gone through a number of procedures (booting safe, etc.). Would do everything in your list. Still would not proceed past 95%. A new file had been installed. Under ~/library/preferences/Macromedia/ the folder Flash Player appeared, this time with another Flash Player folder in that folder. A current update time would show in the Date Modified column.

I found and removed the file

com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager

Dragged the Flash Player folder from Macromedia folder to the trash.

Re-ran Uninstaller.

Emptied the trash.

Rebooted.

Re-ran

install_flash_player_12_osx.dmg

and once again it only went to 95% -- and stopped.

A Force-Quit is required if you get that far.

But this time, the <user>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia folder contained a fresh Flash Player folder, containing

Folder: #SharedObjects

>Sub-folder:VBTASRWA

>>Sub-sub folder: 195.xxx.xxx.181

>>Sub-sub folder: s.ytimg.com

>Sub-folder: macromedia.com

>>Sub-sub folder: support

Able to visit sites previously blocked in Safari and SeaMonkey (Mozilla) v. 2.26 nightly.

You are correct: Keeping Flash alive should inspire a more consolidated install or at least a much better uninstall.