6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 4:42 PM by ssprengel

composites; sizing for each image

Keck Level 1

I made my first composite yesterday, and although time consuming it went without a glitch....until the last step. I followed Scott Kelby's directions (Photosop CS6 Book), as I find his directions straight forward and very complete. But when I combined the two images, both being 3" by 6", the foreground image was too wide. The width of my foreground image was cropped off and there was nothing I could do, no matter how many things I tried to correct this. I cropped both to 3 by 6 and the image size, when I checked this, agreed. Any suggestions? 

• 1. Re: composites; sizing for each image
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

To be clear, are you using Camera Raw or Photoshop to perform the crop of the image?

• 2. Re: composites; sizing for each image
            Keck Level 1

Hi MM.

Just having joined the forum a few days ago I was not aware of the information I needed to provide. I am new to all of this. This particular composite image is in photoshop. I am just now trying to edge my way into RAW but it is so daunting that I need a preschool tutorial. Any suggestions? I mean REALLY basic. I am very familiar with photoshop, as I used CS2 for several years and just purchased CS6 when I switched to digital photography. Raw terrifies me. The simplest things, like opening an image, are beyond my understanding.

Gratefully.

• 3. Re: composites; sizing for each image
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is the Camera Raw forum which is most appropriate for questions about using the Camera Raw plug-in within Photoshop or about the Camera Raw engine built into Lightroom.  RAW format allows more control over sharpening and noise-reduction and color balance and allows more highlights and shadows to be recovered.  When you start with a JPG, the camera has determined all those things and sometimes it doesn’t guess right.  If you have questions about how to adjust the sliders in the Camera Raw plug-in, you can go ahead and ask them here, or maybe look at the Lightroom forum, which has the same adjustments as the ACR plug-in.

Your “composite” question is more about doing things in Photoshop, whether or not the underlying images originated in raw format.   The PS forum is here:   http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

A guess as to what may have happened that caused one image to be wider than the other:  Besides resizing both your images to 4x6 inches, you also need to pay attention to the DPI/PPI (dots-per-inch/pixels-per-inch) or just pay attention to the pixel dimensions and forget about inches and DPI/PPI.

• 4. Re: composites; sizing for each image
                Keck Level 1

Thanks much for taking the time to answer. I just joined the forum(s) and this was my first inquiry. I did get my question answered/solved by someone in the other forum. I did not then understand that there were two separate forums.

I am in preschool with RAW and cannot manage to do even the most basics. A suggestion as to a tutorial that starts right at step one?????????? I am familiar with Photoshop, starting with CS2 and now have jumped to CS6 to accompany my traumatic leap to digital photography. I have the most basic of questions and am almost too embarrassed to ask. Where do I begin? Three hours on the phone with Adobe was very startling. The very nice gentleman knew as little as I did and put me on hold for 5+ minutes for every single question (and they were basic!) I asked. This went on for three hours. He was unable to answer the most elementary of questions. I really need someone to go through the steps with me as I stumble along, so they understand where exactly I am stumbling. I am not asking this forum to provide such help, only a suggestion of where to go. I live very rurally and have no access to cities, classes or experts, especially in winter. Any suggestion would

be most appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: composites; sizing for each image
                  Keck Level 1

Thanks much for taking the time to answer. I just joined the forum(s) and this was my first inquiry. I did get my question answered/solved by someone in the other forum. I did not then understand that there were two separate forums.

I am in preschool with RAW and cannot manage to do even the most basics. A suggestion as to a tutorial that starts right at step one?????????? I am familiar with Photoshop, starting with CS2 and now have jumped to CS6 to accompany my traumatic leap to digital photography. I have the most basic of questions and am almost too embarrassed to ask. Where do I begin? Three hours on the phone with Adobe was very startling. The very nice gentleman knew as little as I did and put me on hold for 5+ minutes for every single question (and they were basic!) I asked. This went on for three hours. He was unable to answer the most elementary of questions. I really need someone to go through the steps with me as I stumble along, so they understand where exactly I am stumbling. I am not asking this forum to provide such help, only a suggestion of where to go. I live very rurally and have no access to cities, classes or experts, especially in winter. Any suggestion would

be most appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: composites; sizing for each image
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

May I ask what has been your path up to this point where you have apparently recently decided to do digital photography and use CS6 with raw files?  Are you a graphic artist or a film photographer?  Have you been adjusting JPGs in PS over the years but not as part of digital photography?  I am trying to understand what you know about photography and about adjusting images.

I wouldn't call Adobe to have them help you with anything other than PS installing or activating an Adobe program on your computer.  The forums are where you want to ask "how do I do this" or "what's wrong" questions.  Incidentally, because it was the day after a new version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw plug-in) was released, the first reply to your first post was from one of the main Adobe ACR engineers, Eric Chan (a.k.a. MadManChan named for his basketball skills), whom you'll see in the credits when you do Help / About Camera Raw.  His concern was that there was a bug in the resizing aspects of the Save function in the ACR plug-in.  When you clarified it was something else, he let others respond to your question.

If you are shooting raw, then do as much of your processing in Bridge / ACR before opening into Photoshop.  You may want to use Lightroom instead of using Bridge / ACR for everything because it is much more integrated and efficient for working with multiple images from a photoshoot, but the main adjustments will be the same in each so until you figure that much out it's ok to use Bridge / ACR.

As far as resources to help you get started, the book Real World Camera Raw (the edition that covers ACR 7 and CS6) is good if you're starting out, and Adobe TV has many videos.  Here are the results if you search for Camera Raw, though some are for Lightroom instead of ACR but the adjustments are the same. 

http://tv.adobe.com/videos/camera-raw/http://tv.adobe.com/camera+raw

Keep in mind that you've upgraded to CS6, which won't have the latest things in the ACR 8.x plug-in for PS-CC like the Uprights function that automatically corrects perspective, which is another reason to get Lightroom.  It is much cheaper than Photoshop but will have the latest raw conversion options.  There is currently (until March 31st) a $10/month (US) offer to get PS-CC and LR-CC together.  If your resources will allow it that is a good deal, and cheaper than getting both LR and upgrading PS separately:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

Mastering toning is important, so here is a long forum thread by Rob Cole, a frequent contributor, about adjustments in the Basic panel from a couple years ago.  The discussion is in terms of Lightroom 4 which corresponds to ACR 7 from CS6 so it should be applicable to you.  It does refer back to previous versions of LR (or in your case ACR) but just ignore those and concentrate on what he's saying to do in the current version.  I would scroll down to the bottom and read the last post (#14) about using Auto Tone as a basis for adjustments, and then start reading from the top:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4259096Re: How to edit a photo in Lr4, continued...

If you have other questions, I would suggest starting a new thread, because one entitled Composites which is actually questions about raw conversion is not going to attract alot of attention.