14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 11:34 AM by Editboy

Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro

Editboy Level 1

Hello. Simply (or not so simply), I just want to know if I can export a Premiere Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro CS6 or CC. I would like some form of verification such as a page in a manual or a link to a web page. Just getting the answer "Yes" will not do. Sorry but this has been very difficult to locate and am concerned it can't happen.

Thanks,

BK

• 1. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here is a small version 12 project. Why don't you give it a try?

• 2. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
            the_wine_snob Level 9

BK,

Once, if the version of PrE and PrPro were somewhat contemporary, i.e. PrE 4.0 and PrPro 2.0, and the Project was simple (no Instant Movie/Themes, no 3rd party Effects or Transitions, etc.), the PREL (Project file) from PrE, would Import, or Open, in PrPro. However, it seems that PrPro CC no longer has that capability, based on several reports from the field. Several users have been able to Open/Import simple PREL's, into previous versions of PrPro, such as CS6.

Given the changes in PrE 11 & 12, I do not know if that is possible in PrPro CS6 though. Steve's offer of a PrE 12 PREL (his link) to test, is a good one, and I would try that. First, I would attempt to Open it, and if that does not work, then try to Import it.

Please report your success, or any errors that are generated.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Editboy

May I ask "At this time, do you have Premiere Elements 12 or Premiere Pro CS6?"

ATR

• 4. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                Editboy Level 1

Hi Steve.

Thank you and I will pass along the file to those who are "Beta Testing" Pro here and see what happens.

• 5. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                  Editboy Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you and I will post any reults i get.

• 6. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                    Editboy Level 1

Hey A.T.,

I don't have it yet. In fact I'll need to learn it as we are transitioning from FCP7 with no desire to go to "X".

It's just there are "Preditors" here that really don't need the power of Premiere Pro for offlining projects. That's why I'm asking. The company can save a few bucks by giving the Preditors Elements and leaving the Finishing work to guys like me in Pro. I'd just like to know if this will work?

Isn't there anyway to get a definitive answer from a Developer or Software Engineer at Adobe? I would think that this would be a perfectly acceptable worlflow.

Bob K.

• 7. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Editboy,

Isn't there anyway to get a definitive answer from a Developer or Software Engineer at Adobe?

Due to the major differences between Premiere Elements and Pro, there is very little interaction between the two, separate departments. I am sure that there ARE some engineers, who know enough about the code that is common, but not really that many. For instance, some of the PrPro engineers, know very little about PrE. Not sure if it's the same with the PrE engineers, but would assume so.

This forum does not have THAT big a presence from Adobe Staff, but we are very grateful for what we do have. In the PrPro Forum, there is a greater engineering presence, but the vast majority of posters there are users, just like here. There are only a handlful of those, who have also used PrE - John T. Smith, Ann Bens, Peru Bob, and a few others, such as myself.

Also, there was a significant change with PrE 11 & 12, just as there was (and continues to be) in PrPro CC (Creative Cloud). A lot has been eliminated from both versions of Premiere, like direct FLV Import, and several other major changes. Once, the two versions were closer together, but have departed from one another more and more, with each version.

I have never seen comments from Adobe engineers, or coders, reflecting on the two versions - but who knows, we might get lucky with one of the PrE engineers?

Now, with your situation, I would suggest that a department head look into the PrPro CC group licensing, as PrPro has gone to a subscription license now, and there might be some killer "deals" from Adobe. They are working very hard to get more users onto the CC model, and DO have some deals out there. Might not be as expensive, as once thought.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob K.

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who gets a chance to look at older versions of Premiere Pro occasionally.

Keeping that in mind....

What is the computer operating system on which Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro CS6 will be running. That answer may introduce another variable for which answers are not easily come by, outside of try it and see.

Will the programs be running on Windows or Mac. I see continued mention in Adobe documents about Premiere Pro CC supporting PREL Adobe Premiere Elements, followed by "Windows Only".

Has anyone in your company been assigned the task of downloading and installing the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe and doing some mini test runs of the planned workflows integration? Did you get a chance yet to try to import SG's "TEST" (Project Prel Windows) into your Premiere Pro CS6?

Next I will be posting a question to SG regarding his "TEST" Premiere Elements 12 project file that he has posted for download.

We will be looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 9. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

You have posted a TEST project.prel for Bob K. to determine if he can import it into his Premiere Pro CS6 or CC.

Is this project.prel coming from your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows computer or Mac computer? I suspect Windows, since I downloaded your TEST file, and it can be opened in my Premiere Elements 12 Windows. So, then I would ask "Would this project.prel (Windows) be expected to be opened in Premiere Pro CS6 or CC Mac?

I am asking this type of question since I have read that Premiere Pro CS6 or CC will import the Premiere Elements project file (project.prel) Windows only.

ATR

• 10. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                            Editboy Level 1

I really can't say what platform Premiere will be used on. I'm "hearing" PC. My best guess is that it will be a mix of platforms. Apple Laptops, PC Desktops and any combination thereof. No doubt that it'll be "messy."

You know, Apple folk want their Apples and PC'ers blah, blah. Again this is all under investigation right now. In fact, I'm very concerned about how the people making the decisions will configure the Online Desktop Systems! Just going to have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

But again, If I can get them to accept and test the file, I will post the results.

Bob K.

• 11. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                              Editboy Level 1

"I am asking this type of question since I have read that Premiere Pro CS6 or CC will import the Premiere Elements project file (project.prel) Windows only."

I read this somewhere as well. But I believe it was on older versions of both Elements and Pro.

The search continues...

BTW, Customer service wasn't much help. You know when you are poking around the website and you get the request to chat so they can "help me choose a product?" I did AND during the course of the chat, the Rep gave me a definitive YES that this would work. However, when I asked where "Robin" got the answer from (A Web Link, A Downloadable Manual) no info was provided. Hmm i say as I scratch my chin.

• 12. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                                Editboy Level 1

And another thing, according to the Pro Manual which I did download last night, It's interesting how Pro can import projects from FCP via XML and Avid!

I don't have the Manual in front of me right now, but I remember reading that and wondering why it wouldn't bring in an Elements Project!?

C'mon Adobe! Please chime in here!

• 13. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Editboy,

I don't have the Manual in front of me right now, but I remember reading that and wondering why it wouldn't bring in an Elements Project!?

You are correct that PrPro does a pretty good job with Projects from other "professional" NLE programs, but still with a few caveats. Because of the differences in market, PREL's have never been fully supported.

It's the same thing with Magix MovieEdit Pro, CyberLink's PowerDirector, Pinnacle's Studio, and several others. Their Project files (mostly in a form of XML file) just to not Open, or Import.

Now, if PrE were given the capability to Export the PREL as pure XML, that would likely be useful, but Adobe's target audience is just not likely to later need to edit a Project in a professional NLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Export of Elements 12 Project for use in Premiere Pro
                                    Editboy Level 1

"Adobe's target audience is just not likely to later need to edit a Project in a professional NLE."

Thanks Bill and I understand. However, given the current choices of NLE's today and many Professional Users "scrambling" to find replacements for FCP7 and "aging" Avid, I would think that the workflow I'm suggesting might be a cost effective and viable alternative that Adobe should consider very seriously. If it was never brought to their attention before, I'm mentioning it now!

If we can avoid the cost of putting PrPro into the hands of Preditors and leave the Pro Finishing to the real Pros, that would be very helpful not only financially but it would make learning and working with the software much easier for them using Elements.

So, I guess the only way to find out if this works, is to download the trial versions of each and have at it.

Unless someone out there already has both of the most current versions and is willing to try this?

Either way, I'll have to find out sooner or later because we are moving to Pro eventually.

Thanks again,

Bob K.