4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 8:10 PM by pooja2087

Why do my em dashes separate into two en dashes only in digital (ebook) format?  How do I stop that?

Muse of HEll

I work for a publisher and we use InDesign to set up our print files to be uploaded (usually in PDF format).

Then I create a new file for the ebooks, removing extra pages, marking the table of content entries as internal hyperlinks, etc.

Since the Kindle Plug-In is still in beta and cannot, for some unknown reason, recognize a TOC created using hyperlinks (even though that is what the instructions specify), I convert to an ePub, check it, do any revisions necessary, save that as the ePub upload.

Then I convert the ePub to mobi using Calibre.

In both instances, my em dashes separate into two en dashes in the digital versions.  I use the InDesign Type drop down to select the em dash and it appears as a single symbol or glyph.  The print file looks perfect.  It is only when it is converted to a digital format that the em dash splits in justified format.

Do I need to find a special glyph to use that is not contained in my font (Times New Roman)?  I really need to fix this!  Any help is appreciated.