21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 6:24 PM by shooternz RSS

Container for video

Mattia 13

Hi to everybody,

this is my first post here in the forum,

so any help will be highly appreciate.

I'm wondering if there is any way in Premiere CC to put a clip into a 'container', a 'frame' so I can move it without needing to crop.

For example in InDesign I can put an image into a frame and if the image is larger than the frame it will be automatically cropped.

The visible part of the image is the one within the frame.

My goal, as I have to work with several clips on the same frame, is to create a grid of 'frames' then put inside each frame the clip I need and move it as I want.

Hope to find a solution,

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• 1. Re: Container for video
          PierreLouisBeranek Community Member

Hi Mattia 13,

I understand what you're asking for but unfortunately the answer is no, Premiere Pro does not have an easy tool to do what you're asking for, which is a real shame since it's a very common editing situation.

I've requested such a tool years ago but most requests for intelligent additions to Premiere seem to fall on deaf ears at Adobe.

What I requested was this: an intrinsic 'Crop' tool that appears above the intrinsic Motion settings in the Effect Controls Window.  This would give users an intelligent and easy way of cropping the dimentions of the 'window' or 'frame' through which the  clip could be freely positioned, resized, rotated, etc.  You can achieve the same result by using the Track Matte effect, but it's far far more work than the solution I suggested to Adobe, since years later, the Track Matte effect remains broken, and thus requires nested sequences to get it to work the way you suggest.

The best thing to do is send you Feature Request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish and pray that Adobe will listen.

• 2. Re: Container for video
            J. Simon Community Member

You could do this with a Nested Sequence.  Make that sequence the dimensions you need for the 'crop'.  Then anything you add to it will be cropped to those dimensions, and you can move around the group of clips as one.

• 3. Re: Container for video

But then he'd end up with a separate sequence for every single PIP in his master sequence, and he'd have to keep jumping back and forth between sequences to make any changes such as clip content/positioning etc.  It would work, but would be a real PITA of a workflow, especially if he's working with several PIPs such as a grid of 9 or more.   Adobe needs to provide us with an intelligent workflow to achieve this.  I remember there was a plug-in called 'Boxes' or something like that for FCP7 that did exactly what I suggested (allowed users to crop the 'window' or 'frame' through which a clip could be seen and freely positioned/sized.  Anyone know of any plug-in that would do the same for Premiere Pro?

• 4. Re: Container for video

It would work

That's the point.  I can't change the software, but I can suggest a way to do the job now.

• 5. Re: Container for video

Quite right

• 6. Re: Container for video
                    Mattia 13 Community Member

Hi guys thanks a lot for you suggestions.

I also thought about working with nested sequences, thanks Jim, but as I have a lot of PIP changing during the video (40 or more in a 4 min. clip) and considering that it's quite a repetitive job I do several times per season I want to figure out how to create a sort of 'master' editing clip in wich i can just replace clips from time to time.

Pierre you are right, my first tought was for a plugin I used once in FCP. I didn't remember the name since now!

I'm gonna do some research..

• 7. Re: Container for video

You should look into After Effects.  That might be the better tool on this one, using precomps and masks.

• 8. Re: Container for video

After Effects is a good suggestion.  Would love to see a 'Boxes' plugin for Premiere Pro though.  Where are all the plugin developers for Premiere (both Mac and Windows versions)?!  There's tons of great plugins available for FCP7 and FCPX, but next to nothing for PP, especially on the Windows side.  Is this because Adobe makes it harder for developers to create plugins for PP than it is on FCP?  Or is it just a question of popularity, with FCP still getting most of the Plugin 'love' due to years of undisputed popularity prior to its fall with FCPX?  Hopefully PP's growing popularity quickly changes this!

• 9. Re: Container for video
                          shooternz Community Member

Do you have a sample of your requirement we can see?

• 10. Re: Container for video

Hi shooternz,

due to copyright reasons I cannot post the entire video here,

but I can attach the mask I'm using.

Now I put each clip inside the grey boxes, than apply a crop effect.

The problem is that if I want to move the video inside the grid I have to work also on the crop values.

Each clip has its own settings for cropping and motion so it's a pain to make adjustments on the fly..

Consider that in a 5 min. video I change 40/50 clips swapping switching rotating panning into grey boxes.

3-Finestre---FullHD.jpg

Thanks guys

• 11. Re: Container for video

@Pierre I just sent a Feature Request to Adobe, hope they will listen us...

• 12. Re: Container for video
                                Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

This mask is it the same through out the video?

• 13. Re: Container for video

Hey Ann, thanks for your reply.

No, there are a couple of mask in the video.

• 14. Re: Container for video
                                    Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Ì was going to suggest to make a preset out of the crop.But you will have to make several.

Drop the crop preset on the clip

Highlight the word Crop in the ECW (a bounding box will appear) and move the crop to the desired composition in the frame.

Then select the word Motion in the ECW (clips bounding box will appear) and move the clip to the desired frame of the mask.

• 15. Re: Container for video

Hey Ann,

I didn't notice the capability of making crop&motion presets in PP, this seems to be a really nice and clean solution..

It didn't solve me the problem when there are certain strange or unconventional movement, panning, zooming etc, but with a little bit of work on presets I can build sort of pile of them to face different situation.

Clever,  thank you very much!

• 16. Re: Container for video

Where are all the plugin developers for Premiere

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/sdk?view=discussions

There's tons of great plugins available for FCP7 and FCPX, but next to nothing for PP

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab4.html

• 17. Re: Container for video
                                          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

He is right: I would love to see FX Factory for Windows. But that is not going to happen.

• 18. Re: Container for video

Yes, +1 for FX Factory for Windows!!!

I know about that second link you posted Jim, but unfortunately, 90% of the plugins posted there are absolute junk.

Thank God for the rare exeption, such as Film Impact, that provides such useful transitions (I use Impact Push all the time, which really Adobe should have provided us in the first place instead of PP's junk Push effect that provides zero options such as ease in/ease out)

With all of the developers out there, you'd think that at least 1 of them (or Adobe for that mater), would have the good sense to provide an effect as simple as a proper color border (still not even available in PP in 2014!)

Effects and transitions are still an area where FCP is far far ahead of PP, due to the quantity of quality plugins.  Hope to see this change soon!

• 19. Re: Container for video
                                              Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Push (whip or swich) effect  you can make yourself.

• 20. Re: Container for video

Ann, that's just like saying that going to work is something you can do yourself, by foot, so why take the bus.

Of course many effects can be achieved by keyframing, at 2-10+ x the time and effort, but regardless, there's no denying that effects and plug-ins for the Windows version of PP are extremely lacking compared to what's available on the Mac.

Come on developers, give us some decent effects/plug-ins, such as this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN8rFo1CpG0&hd=1 (which BTW would easily solve OP's, Mattia 13, editing challenge).

• 21. Re: Container for video
                                                  shooternz Community Member

there's no denying that effects and plug-ins for the Windows version of PP are extremely lacking compared to what's available on the Mac.

Come on developers, give us some decent effects/plug-ins, such as this!

Not much point asking for plugin development here.

Getting a Mac is maybe an option... but why not approach the plugin 3rd parties and ask for what you want in PC versions.