4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 5:39 AM by Trinity3

Text all bunched up - help please

Trinity3

I have one text frame that bunches all my text up when I use 'justify with last line left'.

It's fine everywhere else (about 150 pages).

I've tried everything and am a bit stumped. I'd really appreciate any insight on this.

Here's a screen shot (the paragraph directly under the header is the one that's acting odd).

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.36.10.png

• 1. Re: Text all bunched up - help please
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check the justifcation settings, and for things like No Break or non-breaking spaces that are preventing the text from breaking earlier in the lines. Allowing hyphenation might help, too, but I have a suspicion that this is tied to the span columns feature and the length of the text following. What happens if you make the fram a little taller?

• 2. Re: Text all bunched up - help please
            Trinity3 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I was at a bit of a loss with this to be honest.

Everything I tried, to reset this one paragraph, just reverted back to bunching up.

Except the span column feature...

I think you are right it has something to do with 'span all' (although has never happened for me before).

I undid the two columns, and set span to none and the problem went away. Wish I actually understood why it happened so I can prevent it in the future though.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Text all bunched up - help please
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trinity3 wrote:

I undid the two columns, and set span to none and the problem went away. Wish I actually understood why it happened so I can prevent it in the future though.

You already have the answer.

Because I wasn't among those who wished hard for the span-columns feature, I only know it so well. But as far as I can tell, it either somehow steps on or precludes InDesign's paragraph composition features, possibly because it was only really intended to enable the spanning of multiple columns by 1 - 2 -line headlines. My advice is simply don't use it.

• 4. Re: Text all bunched up - help please
                Trinity3 Level 1

Thanks John.
                I've found it quite handy so far, but I admit that I do use it for much more 'than the spanning of multiple columns by 1 - 2 -line headlines' .
                So I appreciated your sharing of experience and will watch out for that. Really  helpful, thanks.