4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 12:07 AM by der_baron

InDesign multiple language data source

der_baron Level 1

Hi,

I have a question regarding InDesign and a multiple language data source.

I am not sure if this is possible with CSV, XML, MySQL, or if there is a third-party plugin available for this...but here it goes:

I have some data:

SOURCEDE_LABELES_LABELNL_LABEL
      AppleApfelManzanaAppel
      BananaBananePlátanoBanaan
      CherryKirscheCerezaKers
      PearBirnePeraPeer
      GrapeTraubeUvaDruif

What I need to be able to do is insert the SOURCE fieldnames/placeholders throughout a document and then depending on what language I select (either through a text variable, or manual selection), the translated terms are automatically inserted in place.

Is this possible?

Or is there a work-around?

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: InDesign multiple language data source
          Wpp Id

Hello,

if you don't want to use external plugins you can try to use Data Merge panel with conditional text panel. Maybe it's not the perfect tool but I hope it can help you:

- first of all save your table in a csv or txt file like that http://weappon.com/files/text.txt

- create a new document

- open it from menu Window > Utilities > DataMerge

- from top-right icon click "Select Data source" and import your txt file

- panel will be filled with your file fields

http://weappon.com/files/datamerge1.PNG

- go to a master page and place a text-frame inside and activate it for writing inside

- now click to each fields in Data Merge panel: text frame will be filled with your fields.

- open ConditionalText pane from Window > Type&Tables > Conditional Text

- create 3 labels for for the 3 languages in your data

- then select your field in the text frame and assign the related contion text label and do that for each language

http://weappon.com/files/datamerge2.PNG

- now select first page on Page panel

- come back to DataMerge pane and on the menu click on "Create Merged Document..."

- On first tab select "Multiple Records"

- Click ok and your data will be merged

- Now if you enable/disable conditional text you can show/hide your languages

http://weappon.com/files/datamerge3.PNG

I hope this can be useful for you

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign multiple language data source
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is slick.

To be honest, it sounds like a tiny bit of overkill to me. I'd use a separate CSV source for each language, then run the merge once for each language. But I compulsively keep language resources in separate files - comes of fifteen years' worth of maintaining tranlation memory databases, I suppose. Since I think of InDesign as a presentation format, not a place to store data, I don't personally see the appeal of having all of your content in a single INDD which you then tweak into localized versions by turning stuff on and off. But if you want your five-language tutorial to be All In A Single File then this method is elegant and easy-to-use.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign multiple language data source
              der_baron Level 1

This is a good solution. Thank you for taking the time to explain this. It makes sense.

• 4. Re: InDesign multiple language data source
                der_baron Level 1

Overall, I do think I might have to re-think how to handle multiple language data in InDesign. Wpp id's solution is effective but keeping tanslated data in separate files is what I do anyway. So it seems like a long way round to implement what I was thinking. For now, it's back to the drawing board. Thanks